3, 2, 1....... Snark!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZZ, i have never heard a turkey can drown from looking up in the rain LMAO, thats crazy!!!!

ZZ - My father in law used to work for a guy that owned 600 rental properties in and around Houston. I don't remember his name but met him once and he seriously looked boarderline homeless - dirty overalls, workboots, t-shirt and about $10-20k in cash on him ALL THE TIME. Not the best educated guy I've ever met but sharp as hell and he knew it. His son was into the hip hop scene and dressed the part but according to my FIL he knew the business about as well as his dad. So, I know what you are talking about. And yes farm raised turkeys a REALLY stupid. I didn't know about the "too dumb to eat" thing but drowning in the rain etc. is not at all uncommon.

WW - I got to see one of those things up close this summer. A guy and his crew were flying one near downtown Dallas, where I work, and when they landed it and were packing up I went over to see what was up. He said they were using it to take photos of a building that was going to be put up for sale. I bet the guys that used to do that kind of thing from a helicopter are not too happy with that idea.

WW - I got to see one of those things up close this summer. A guy and his crew were flying one near downtown Dallas, where I work, and when they landed it and were packing up I went over to see what was up. He said they were using it to take photos of a building that was going to be put up for sale. I bet the guys that used to do that kind of thing from a helicopter are not too happy with that idea.

The one i seen the guy was just using for fun, and he was just using it to record people at the beach and walking the boardwalk.... But have you seen the commercial for the big river store planning to use drones to deliver packages?? Thats WILD!! They just have to get the FAA to allow them to do it first LOL

Big shocker, livestock bred and raised for slaughter ain't too bright. Funny how that works. Glad we got that cleared up :D :rolleyes:

So... in completely other news... any of y'all know anything about this cat called Creek Stewart? Ang and I watched 2 episodes of his TV show "Fat Guys in the Woods" and honestly, they weren't awful. Seemed fairly reasonable and not-drama-dependent, as far as TV survival shows go.

Maybe it means something with thugs and gangers, but you can't always judge someone by the way they dress, especially in rural areas. I see guys all the time that look like they don't have a pot to Pxxx in and drive beater vehicles whose primary (and secondary and tertiary) source of income is NOT drugs or "music" and if you were able to check their financial statements, would be able to buy me, you, and a few others on here and never blink. They have the money but they don't flash it around. They're willing to help people and they're good people, but based on appearances alone people think they're ignorant and poor and just getting by on welfare (they think).

Just 1 example is the 80+y.o. guy who spends 8 - 12 hours per day 7 days a week raising turkeys, after working as an undercover/LEO for the State of Texas Alcholic Beverage Commission for 30 years. He raises 60,000 turkeys 6 x /year. The turkey company provides the turkeys, the food, pays the water bill, gas bill, etc. He just has to raise'm to market size. He provides the buildings, heating and cooling equipment, feeds and waters them, etc He gets paid by the live bird on delivery. He and his son work their asses off and get paid well. When they have hired help, they get paid well too. The hired help is always quitting because they don't want to work hard, they just want to get paid. (Many a story has been swapped about just how stupid the modern turkey is - Yes, they really can drown by looking up in a rain storm, they will follow other turkeys into a pond and drown just like lemmings, die if they get too cold and die if they get too hot, and when really young, too stupid to eat - they have to hand feed a bunch of them when they get new shipments in.)
You don't think the people dress like that on purpose? Cause I do. I know people that dress slovenly on purpose so no one really knows how much they are worth, or how much they would have on them, and they can be left alone.

It really is amazing how stupid turkeys are isn't it? I don't really like eating turkey but it's just too bland of a flavor for me. It's just my opinion.

ZZ, i have never heard a turkey can drown from looking up in the rain LMAO, thats crazy!!!!
I haven't personally seen it but yeah I have heard that before.

ZZ - My father in law used to work for a guy that owned 600 rental properties in and around Houston. I don't remember his name but met him once and he seriously looked boarderline homeless - dirty overalls, workboots, t-shirt and about $10-20k in cash on him ALL THE TIME. Not the best educated guy I've ever met but sharp as hell and he knew it. His son was into the hip hop scene and dressed the part but according to my FIL he knew the business about as well as his dad. So, I know what you are talking about. And yes farm raised turkeys a REALLY stupid. I didn't know about the "too dumb to eat" thing but drowning in the rain etc. is not at all uncommon.
There is a big difference, to me at least, between looking like a gangbanger, and looking like an honest working man. I see nothing wrong with dirty overalls, workboots, and a tshirt. THAT just sounds like someone that has spent the day at work. But pants looking like you took a dookie in them since they hang so low, tshirts that are 5 sizes too big. That just screams poseur/hoodrat to me.

So... in completely other news... any of y'all know anything about this cat called Creek Stewart? Ang and I watched 2 episodes of his TV show "Fat Guys in the Woods" and honestly, they weren't awful. Seemed fairly reasonable and not-drama-dependent, as far as TV survival shows go.

Funny, I ran across his website like 2 days ago while getting lost on the interwebz. Recognized the name. Willowhaven something I think? Was reading his articles on fire prep trying to get ideas for putting together a primitive fire kit. His articles seemed OK; not too preachy or smug/arrogant sounding. I think Canterbury writes for the site as well, for whatever that's worth. Haven't seen "fat guys" yet, but as long as they don't have to rappel down 500' cliffs or try and hunt big game after day 2, I'll see if I can maybe track it down...

The only other time I saw this Creek dude before was some youtube vid where he was talking about "survival" knives, and he seemed pretty down-to-earth and reasonable in his recommendations. Like you said, not so smug/arrogant.

Subsequently to seeing the TV show, I found an infomercial-type vid for his book on "The Ultimate Bug-Out Bag", which was... kinda ultimate. Whatever... dude's trying to make a living, more power to him.

Haven't seen "fat guys" yet, but as long as they don't have to rappel down 500' cliffs or try and hunt big game after day 2, I'll see if I can maybe track it down...

I didn't see any cliff-wrangling or moose-jumping. Just folks cobbling together the basics of a campsite and trying to stay warm and dry.

It's not "good TV" because the biggest "drama" I saw was when one fat guy experienced uncomfortable pressure in his chest, so Creek called time-out and brought in the medic, and the medic took the guy to the nearest hospital to make sure he was OK. That's not terribly exciting, it's just common sense... so I doubt it will be on the air for long.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I love music, hate rap. However, as far as the dress thing goes. WW is right as far as some dress and style goes along with some music. Baggy pants, bandanas and such go with the thug image with rap. Not my thing but it doesn't effect me whatsoever. Black clothing and long hair kinda go with the metal scene. Personally, I think they look like a bunch of bums but again, no skin off of my ass. If there happy that way, this is still SOMEWHAT of a free country. This is also a very judgmental country/world, so if those people don't care about how people judge them, than I sure as hell don't either. As far as my personal appearance. Well, I really dont give a damn what anybody thinks about it. I dress accordingly as far as what im doing. Which is usually dirty work. So, old wore out t-shirts and old stained pants or worn out shorts is common. As far as what people passing by think, I waist no time concerning myself with that. I know of a lot of local farmers that wear old beat up clothes and drive hunks of crap vehicles that have more money than God in there account. So, I guess I just dont understand judging the book by its cover.
Dress is one thing, attitude is another, like I said, I don't like rap, but I don't care if you do. Here's where I start having the problem. Several years ago when my daughter was a tiny baby she was sick, couldn't get her to hold down food IF we could get her to eat. She wasn't sleeping, constant crying for days. We where returning from the doctors office and she had finally managed to fall asleep in her car seat. I pulled into a gas station to fuel up only to have a asshole pull into the stall next to me with his car stereo turned all the way up, rap music and bass thumpin. Of coarse it woke up my daughter who immediately started crying. I asked the guy politely to turn it down, to which he spouted off "im not breaking any laws" and refused to turn it down. I quickly became not so polite the second time around. I won't get into what happened, but the stereo was turned down, the law was called, my wife got to pick me up at the station, and I promise that guy will not pull that crap again if he ever pulls up to me at the gas station again. Not one of my prouder moments, but my point is. Certain dress and style walk hand and hand with all different lifestyles. Just the way it is and will always be. But when it starts to effect attitude or more importantly common respect and decency. Then that's when I have a major problem.

Big shocker, livestock bred and raised for slaughter ain't too bright. Funny how that works. Glad we got that cleared up :D :rolleyes:

I first heard of Creek Stewart from a link on "The Art of Manliness" website, which has some really good info on it if you've never checked it out. His approach does seem to be generally practical and not "zombie apocalypse" stuff. A lot of "survivalists" focus too much on the knives and guns, and not enough on the nuts and bolts of food and shelter. I think he and Doug Ritter both put appropriate emphasis where it needs to be in terms of skills and equipment. We exchanged comments back on forth on one of his blog entries on a survival shotgun, and he seemed down to earth and not the type that professes to be the "guru" of survival and you better shut up and listen to him.

I just noticed a good article on "The Art of Manliness" entitled "Swamp Crotch Prevention." If only I could wear a kilt to work....

I am reminded of the ramblings of Mike Muir, lead singer of the band Suicidal Tendencies. (Metal band) "just because you don't know whats going on doesn't mean that it makes no since. And just because you don't like it doesn't mean that its no good!)....... My Dad has always and still gives me shit about spending money on things I enjoy. Kayaking, music, buying tools yadda yadda yadda. He tells me what a waist it is and gives me constant hell about it. Then I point out that he has tons of money invested in his golf clubs and his golf memberships. He says, "but that's what I like to do" he doesn't understand that I like different things than he does. Therefore, things I enjoy are a waist in his eyes. Just old and stubborn I guess. I try to overlook it.

Something I've never purchased. I need to get a few of 'em.

I bargained for one in a market in Jaffa in '88, but never wore it in public because I felt weird about it (how you dress matters to the people around you). 15 years later we went to war over there for a decade, and now everybody's got 'em. Odd. Mine's probably musty and gross packed away in a drawer somewhere.

But have you seen the commercial for the big river store planning to use drones to deliver packages?? Thats WILD!! They just have to get the FAA to allow them to do it first LOL

This has always been an absurd idea.
Can you imagine the fleet of hardware, warehouses, charging stations, limited range, and staff of technicians required to assign a single drone to every package (more than one would be impossible) the River delivered? Instead they can give whole truck-fulls of standard size boxes to UPS, USPS, and FedEx and outsource the entire thing with zero overhead complexity. They would STILL need contracts with the big carries - no drone is going to 'drop' off the 70lb UPSs I like to order on my work Prime account...

Regardless, the quad-copters are VERY cool. A film crew had one out on our ship this summer to take some video of the ship with a GoPro from off-deck. Really Really neat, tho the pilot strapped on his Depends every time he took it out over the water.

I love music, hate rap. However, as far as the dress thing goes. WW is right as far as some dress and style goes along with some music. Baggy pants, bandanas and such go with the thug image with rap. Not my thing but it doesn't effect me whatsoever. Black clothing and long hair kinda go with the metal scene. Personally, I think they look like a bunch of bums but again, no skin off of my ass. If there happy that way, this is still SOMEWHAT of a free country. This is also a very judgmental country/world, so if those people don't care about how people judge them, than I sure as hell don't either. As far as my personal appearance. Well, I really dont give a damn what anybody thinks about it. I dress accordingly as far as what im doing. Which is usually dirty work. So, old wore out t-shirts and old stained pants or worn out shorts is common. As far as what people passing by think, I waist no time concerning myself with that. I know of a lot of local farmers that wear old beat up clothes and drive hunks of crap vehicles that have more money than God in there account. So, I guess I just dont understand judging the book by its cover.
Dress is one thing, attitude is another, like I said, I don't like rap, but I don't care if you do. Here's where I start having the problem. Several years ago when my daughter was a tiny baby she was sick, couldn't get her to hold down food IF we could get her to eat. She wasn't sleeping, constant crying for days. We where returning from the doctors office and she had finally managed to fall asleep in her car seat. I pulled into a gas station to fuel up only to have a asshole pull into the stall next to me with his car stereo turned all the way up, rap music and bass thumpin. Of coarse it woke up my daughter who immediately started crying. I asked the guy politely to turn it down, to which he spouted off "im not breaking any laws" and refused to turn it down. I quickly became not so polite the second time around. I won't get into what happened, but the stereo was turned down, the law was called, my wife got to pick me up at the station, and I promise that guy will not pull that crap again if he ever pulls up to me at the gas station again. Not one of my prouder moments, but my point is. Certain dress and style walk hand and hand with all different lifestyles. Just the way it is and will always be. But when it starts to effect attitude or more importantly common respect and decency. Then that's when I have a major problem.

Very well said bud!! I stopped replying to the messages regarding this because it can get me upset and i try and keep myself from getting upset these days, but i was surprised to read this from you so felt compelled to reply.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, except i like some rap LOL. It gets me how some people have such a problem with baggy clothes.... but they see the heavy metal guys wearing all black, makeup, long hair and have no problems with that at all... Then they try and tell me its not prejudice... Please.... they are just trying to justify it to themselves because it doesnt work on me. I dont wear clothes that fall off my ass, and i dont wear makeup... But those guys should be able to wear what they want and people not think they are gang bangers or devil worshipers just because of how they dress.

I grew up in a little country town of 1000 people... Very southern attitudes. Even when i was in school there were a couple race riots. The town i grew up in was less than a hour from the famous Rosewood where the Rosewood massacre happened... Lots of race issues.... I have step siblings that are mixed with pacific islander, a sister married to a black man, and i had a black girlfriend for nearly 4 years down there... I grew up taking racism from both sides, i had to fight both white and black all the time, and to this day it doesnt matter if someone calls me a redneck, cracker, or wigger.... Fact is, if they say it in anger to my face they are getting punched right in the mouth every time.

Last time i went to jail, the public defender asked me why i left and returned with a firearm... She asked me if i thought they would still have the money they stole from me... I told her straight up, and that point i had completely forgot about being robbed at knife point... At that point the ONLY thing i was thinking about was the guy spitting in my face and calling me a cracker... and truth is, next time he will be more careful about who he calls a cracker because the next little white boy might not stop at just sending him to the ER with a bashed in face.... I was stupid dont get me wrong, and lost my right to ever own a firearm.... But there are just some things i cant tolerate. Disrespect my wife and kids or spit in my face and ill be in jail before i even realize what happened.

I so agree with what you said man, a person can dress anyway he wants and still be a decent person... Rude a**holes come in every shape and color and dress every way known to man.

On an unrelated note.... One of my neighbors wanted to buy the mini hatchet off me.... Last night i went out for a smoke break, and i just happen to be holding the mini hatchet.... One of my neighbors came out for a smoke break around the same time, didnt have a lighter so he came to my porch and we ended up setting down together and enjoying a couple lefties... He noticed i was spinning something in my finger and asked what it was so i let him check it out... He thought it was awesome and wanted to buy it... I said what do you want one for?? He said i dunno but it looks F'in awesome LOL

Man i have about 4 little pokes or small cuts from that little guy too... But im getting to where i can spin it in my fingers and not poke myself anymore LOL its a sharp little bastard!!! Tried throwing it into a target i made a few times as well but the handle puts most the weight towards the back. Fun toy :D

I first heard of Creek Stewart from a link on "The Art of Manliness" website, which has some really good info on it if you've never checked it out.

That's a great website :thumbup:

I'm with you on the "practical, not zombie apocalypse stuff" thing.

In all honesty, I just like camping and I rarely venture more than a few hundred yards away from a road. I could probably keep my silly self alive in the woods for a while if I really had to, but in a real SHTF situation, I plan on bugging in, not out. My house is on high ground, reasonably defensible, with a fair amount of food and water stashed away, and all my tools are here... ;)

Incidentally that's one thing I never seem to see mentioned in "apocalypse scenarios"... guns and knives are great of course, but the guys with tools and raw materials and the skills to use them are gonna be kings if that ever happens.

Incidentally that's one thing I never seem to see mentioned in "apocalypse scenarios"... guns and knives are great of course, but the guys with tools and raw materials and the skills to use them are gonna be kings if that ever happens.

Yea.. Guns run out of ammo.. And most knife makers use electricity and electricity will likely be gone at some point or another, generators require fuel, and fuel will run out... But the guys able to forge swords and big decapitators in coals and what not will be KING :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back