3/32” blade stock????????

>>> "if it looks good...buy it"

That is why I buy the custom knives like Fiddlebacks and Surls. I like how they look. Many are just for looks sitting in a collection.

I have another set of knives that I will use hard and those are my production knives like ESEE 6 for the large knives or smaller cheap Moras. I have been considering adding the Cumming line and production FF to the beater group of knives.

For the custom knives that I do use, I want to maintain the good looks so I only use them for light duty, mostly food prep and light carving. The thin stock just works better for my use.

it simply depends on what you need the knife for- I am the typical "officecrafter". Includes openening letters, cutting cardboards, food prep. Nothing that could even slightly damage a 3/32 blade. The 3/32 slices way better but I´m with you, if going out in the woods, a 1/8 or 5/32 will be the better choice.

I do outdoor skills instruction 4-5 days a week. I like 3/32 blades, even batoning. I've never had a single issue. Of course, the thicker, the easier it will split wood, but the knife shouldn't be your primary wood splitting tool. The 1/8" and bigger stock has never made any sense to me. Thin geometry performs better. Simply put.

An excellent example is the Mora Companion in Carbon. It is considered the gold standard of value. I believe they run about 2.6mm, or just a bit thinner than 3/32. I see thousands of kids go through our programs every month, all using moras. They definitely don't take care of them. I don't see them break.

Allen, I own an Inlander of yours in 1/8" stock and a rustic wrap Huntsman model in 3/32" stock (may be even thinner, not sure). I love both but the Hunstman simply slices better than the Inlander does for most all of my tasks (food prep/box cutting). I rarely use either for anything outdoors honestly, just do to my current lifestyle. I've never done anything with the Huntsman that has made me worry about breaking it, so for me, i'll take a thinner blade over a thicker stock every day of the week. If I did go camping, that would be a different story.

Back