3/32's EDC modeled after SABATIER Paring Knife ?

ancien-nognet-95-1_10090.JPG

Hi all,

I own (per photo above) the same vintage Sabatier Paring Knife. I LOVE this Knife! I was thinking, I would love to own (have Custom made) a more ROBUST/STRONGER version of this Paring knife as and EDC (lightweight/Woods/etc.) as I love the design of this knife (especially) it's comfort in hand and light weight. Here's the thing, while I would love a more ROBUST version of this Paring Knife, I do not want the Knife weight to be TOO heavy. The above Sabatier weights in at a remarkable 1.10 ounces. I realize of course that the Sabatier's construction (stick tang) the THINNESS of the blade and the (Bird's Head shape ?) wood handle make for a VERY svelte/lightweight (and comfortable) knife in my XXL hands. So I'm wondering, might the use of 3/32 stock make for a STRONG yet light knife ? EXAMPLES: I own a TOPS SCANDI TREKKER :
  • Overall Length:7.625"
  • Blade Length:3.50"
  • Blade Thickness:0.12"
  • Blade Material:1095
  • Blade Style:Drop Point
  • Handle Length:4.125"
  • Handle Thickness:0.58"
  • Handle Material:Micarta
  • Weight:3.75 oz.
  • Sheath:Leather
  • Knife Type:Fixed Blade
  • Brand:TOPS Knives
  • Model:Scandi Trekker
The Scandi Trekker is CLOSE to what I have in mind in size. However, the Scandi Trekker (while nearly PERFECT in O.A.L. for my needs/wants) has a Handle design that just is NOT comfortable for "my" Hand. The TOPS handle LENGTH is nearly perfect however, it's the SHAPE of handle which makes it uncomfortable in "my" hand whereas the shape of the SABATIER's handle (being straight) measures the exact same length as the TOPS handle. In addition, the Scandi Trekker at (3.75 ounces) weights MORE than THREE TIMES the weight of the SABATIER Paring Knife.

I was considering the L.T. Wright COYOTE (full tang) Knife as it comes the closest to what I have in mind.
The COYOTE uses (full tang) 1/8" Stock that appears to be rather light at 2.5 ounces :

Blade Length: 2 7/8"
Blade Steel: D2 Tool Steel
Blade Thickness: 1/8" (3.17 mm)
Blade Type: Drop Point
Grind: Flat
Handle Material: Desert Ironwood
Knife Style: Fixed Blade
Knife Weight: 2.5 oz
Origin: USA
Overall Length: 6 5/8" (20.32 cm)
Rockwell Hardness: 58-60 RC
Tang: Full

The only fault I can see with the COYOTE is, it's just a tad TOO short in the handle for my hands. I really need a FOUR INCH handle.
So, do the good folks of BF think it possible to have a "Custom made" Knife (perhaps) using 3/32's and weighting in at say no more than......
DOUBLE the weight of the SABATIER yet still be a good "light duty" Woods Knife ?
Any help/suggestions/recommendation greatly appreciated.

HARDBALL

I'm guessing not too much interest in this design idea eh ? Oooh well.......

Last edited:
Back