$3,495? Just trying to learn why

50F4AB9D-C078-4B97-80DB-7CD163FDAABB.jpeg BB0A8D01-3EE4-4042-A164-7B2FBD7CBFBA.jpeg So Walter Brend posted a very nice Bowie he made (bottom), but the price was a breath taking $3,495. Did not mention steel type in post (M390 at that price?).

I have for example a Randall 12-9 (with a Model 14 below it) that would currently be right at $900 to a thousand, and is just an ounce different in weight than the Brend, and seemingly just as nice. Maybe not. What feature would the Brend knife have accounting for 3.5 times the price? Thanks

This Model 2 by Walter Brend features a double hollow ground blade with hand-rubbed satin finished flats and mirror polished grinds, and a 4" sharpened top edge, .276" blade stock and 1.523" blade depth, full tang construction. The handle has a satin finished titanium double guard, and black canvas micarta scales, hollow tube pins and lanyard hole. Comes with a nylon Spec-Ops brands sheath. This knife is beautiful and sports the "Etowah TN" logo. New condition from the 2018 Blade Show.

View attachment 923435 View attachment 923438 What feature would the Brend knife have accounting for 3.5 times the price? Thanks
He’s a very respected custom knife maker. It’s a beautiful knife. People appreciate and respect his skills enough to buy them. Just like has been seen here over and over, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...spend your money how you want and when you want...or not...all up to each of us.

Because that is his asking price. He is free to ask anything he wants for it. It’s up to the end buyer/user to determine if it is worth that and weather or not to pay it.

Quoting for the future. This is the truth and all I can add is that today it seems to be a buyer driven market.... meaning, people and makers tend to price items in ways they know there WILL BE buyers.

Yes to everything posted so far, and as the end buyer I am trying to get specific information in order “to determine if it is worth that . . .”. as suggested by SVT Freak

No one is going on record here why this knife is worth that. I have a $2,600 pair of Leicas and I can give multiple reasons why I own them instead of a $400 pair of Leopold’s.

My question as a consumer is, what specifically about the Bremer knife represents such exceeding quality, or industrial design, or craftsmanship, or rare metal, or whatever, that would compel me or another consumer in a free market economy to spend 3.5 times more than a seemingly similar high quality knife from say Randall? That is a legitimate question in the same way people compare any number of products prior to purchase.

When Walter stops making knives no one will ever produce a true Brend again

Randall is a company that makes knives ....they will always be made

Pick up a custom from a Master Smith like Jason Knight or a maker like Nick Wheeller

The Randall will feel and look like a crude comparison made by a new maker or beginner

Many of do not consider a Randall to be high quality

Last edited:
Yes to everything posted so far, and as the end buyer I am trying to get specific information in order “to determine if it is worth that . . .”. as suggested by SVT Freak

No one is going on record here why this knife is worth that. I have a $2,600 pair of Leicas and I can give multiple reasons why I own them instead of a $400 pair of Leopold’s.

My question as a consumer is, what specifically about the Bremer knife represents such exceeding quality, or industrial design, or craftsmanship, or rare metal, or whatever, that would compel me or another consumer in a free market economy to spend 3.5 times more than a seemingly similar high quality knife from say Randall? That is a legitimate question in the same way people compare any number of products prior to purchase.
1. The grind
2. The polish
3. The pommel
4. The handle
5. The pin construction
6. The placement of the lanyard hole
7. The strength of the tip
8. The look of the knife
9. Tha hand rubbed flats
10. Insert what makes it attractive to you to complete the top 10

Not sure what the maker asked for the knife originally (it is listed on ACK so I am assuming - perhaps incorrectly- that it is being sold by an individual not the maker), he may have sold it to the new owner for significantly less than the asking price at ACK. With well respected makers as opposed to manufacturers you will, on the secondary market, pay a premium for a blade as they may well be in limited supply and come with a longer wait times if buying direct. I am not familiar will the maker but on face value there appears to be a higher level of fit and finish as well as (presumably) a newer higher performance steel than the Randal offering.

My question as a consumer is, what specifically about the Bremer knife represents such exceeding quality, or industrial design, or craftsmanship, or rare metal, or whatever, that would compel me or another consumer

As long as another consumer finds a knife, or anything really, worth the asking price. A price will be stable or worthwhile.

As for Brend? I have handled several and he has a mastery of several qualities I can't quite put into words. Other consumers more skilled with words can likely describe his work better. Owning that mastery is why 'consumers' pay what they feel is more than reasonable.

Edit: as typing this ScooterG ScooterG summarized a Brend quite well.

Randall is a company that makes knives ....they will always be made
Pick up a custom from a Master Smith like Jason Knight or a maker like Nick Wheeller
The Randall will feel and look like a crude comparison made by a new maker or beginner

I’m calling horse crap on that. I own a Jason Knight. I’ve posted it on this forum. Awesome knife, but does not distinguish itself from the Randall in that way at all.

Sorry I asked guys.

Last edited:
Horse crap. I own a Jason Knight. I’ve posted it on this forum. Awesome knife, but does not distinguish itself from the Randall in that way at all.

Sorry I asked guys.
Don’t be sorry you asked...it’s a super subjective question though and is totally up to you. If you put a picture of your current/last GF/spouse up here...you might get a lot of different answers.

Don’t be sorry you asked...it’s a super subjective question though and is totally up to you. If you put a picture of your current/last GF/spouse up here...you might get a lot of different answers.
And I mean, just look at the two pictures you posted... price unknown, which knife would you rather have as part of a collection. Seems very obvious to me, but WTF do I know ;)

Not sure what the maker asked for the knife originally (it is listed on ACK so I am assuming - perhaps incorrectly- that it is being sold by an individual not the maker), he may have sold it to the new owner for significantly less than the asking price at ACK. With well respected makers as opposed to manufacturers you will, on the secondary market, pay a premium for a blade as they may well be in limited supply and come with a longer wait times if buying direct. I am not familiar will the maker but on face value there appears to be a higher level of fit and finish as well as (presumably) a newer higher performance steel than the Randal offering.

Appreciate someone answering the question posed. ACK says it is being offered by the manufacturer, not a secondary seller. You can see the post on today’s listings, page one.

Horse crap. I own a Jason Knight. I’ve posted it on this forum. Awesome knife, but does not distinguish itself from the Randall in that way at all.

Sorry I asked guys.

Really

You want to compare a Randall to something like this

Or

Come on a blind man could see the level of finish and quality compared to the Randall

One is a work a art in balance and quality the other is a factory made poorly finished prouduction knife

Sorry you asked

Back