3 or 4?

so im looking for something thats a smaller than my 6 for day hikes and other short outings. love the six for long trips and heavy bushcraft, but i need something not so intimidating on the trail where i might run into families and people that get a little antsy about blades. It will be mostly used for opening packages, food prep and whittling type stuff. just wondered what the community would suggest the 3 or 4?

This may not help you, but either one is a fine blade for day hikes. The 4 is thicker stock and a bit more rugged.

i only have the 4

its a great blade, just about the perfect size for me, plus the extra blade length might allow you to perform "larger" taskes that the 3 might have trouble performing

EDIT: i didnt realize that you already had the 6, i would get the 3 so you have a big knife for heavy chores and a smaler one for more precise ones

I was debating the same thing for a while. I had been carrying a Kabar impact that has served me well. I loved the size of the knife and wanted to get something similiar in blade size. I was torn between the 3 or 4 for a while. I bought the 4 and defintaley perfer the size of the 4 for a kinfe. I also lean towards knives in the 4 inch range though. Even my ECDC, I prefer to be over 3 1/2 inches but I use em and count on em too. Or you could just by both and an izula too. Esee knives get lonely and like company. My two 4's have a 6 on the way. I will eventually buy a few izulas and I can see having a 3 in my truck as a back. I suspect with a 3 or 4 you will be happy. I think it is a matter of personel preference.

The 4 is an awsome blade! nicely sized(4 1/4"), even balance.
But That's what I like. If you want smaller, I also really like the II.
I've got 2 II's, I wraped one of 'em and that thing is VERY low profile.

Izula 2 wouldn't intimdate most. But sounds like your going to be on a populated trail?
I would get the 3 if you want a smaller knife. But I usually carry a 4 and don't get much looks. Sometimes if there alot of ppl on day hikes I use my Izula. Camping it should matter?

Get the 3 IMO, I feel that its underrated when compared to the 4. The thinner stock is amazing to work with in a knife that size, and is still plenty strong. I love my 4 too, but I think my 3 is more useful

I prefer the 4 to the 3, but the izzy 2 gets my vote for day hikes and not scaring the general populace.

I use my 4 on hikes, it has served me very well. Get the 4, you won't regret it! :D

This may not help you, but either one is a fine blade for day hikes. The 4 is thicker stock and a bit more rugged.

I’m with HD. I’m a relentless supporter of the 4, but a 3 would do everything you need it to. I do prefer the kydex sheath of the 4 though.

Going by specs alone, I thought the 4 would be the one for me. I still have my 4, but also have three ESEE 3's and one Ontario 3.

When it comes down to it, I prefer a smallish fixed blade (3-3.5 inches...it took buying a bunch of ESEE's for me to analyze which of my FB's I use, and like using, the most).

When it came down to it, I realized I am more comfortable with a smallish FB, and if need be, a smallish machete (14-18 inches) over a largish FB.

YMMV, so I suggest buy or get someone to loan you both, and stay with what works for you.

I don't know why people are suggesting the 4...He already has a 6. No point in getting a 4. 6 handles large tasks, 3 dominates small ones. The real question should be "3 or Izula?".

I don't know why people are suggesting the 4...He already has a 6. No point in getting a 4. 6 handles large tasks, 3 dominates small ones. The real question should be "3 or Izula?".

I think that there is enough of a difference in handle size and balance between the 3 and 4, that it behooves one to check out both. I have a medium size hand, and both work for me. If you have large hands, the 4 might be a bit more friendly.

Back