3 Reasons This Blade Show Was Special

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Well I have spent the week relaxing. I fished on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday mornings. Monday I found a really sucessful strategy for catching largemouth bass at my favorite little trolling motor only reservoir. Thats been fun.

This has given me time to process Blade Show, and I think this year's show stands out in my mind. First in my mind is that I got to meet so many of my friends here face to face for the first time. That is always special for me. I got to meet several long time customers for the first time at this show. More than usual. That was great. Then, the ones you get to see year after year and develop friendships with. I want to mention my friend Phillip L, who is about to embark on a deployment. Thank you for your service PL, you are in my prayers. You can't understate the social environment at the blade show after you've attended it for a couple of years. Maybe Eric will chime in here, or that southern gent... Finally the crew did a great job of manning the tables. Phillip runs the thing like an old ship captain, But Kyle and John were back there working the crowd as well. Thanks guys. Allen, of course, thank you for all your help as well, especially with the tons of prep work you did.

Folks, Russell handed me his graduation knife on the blade show floor on Friday. Russell's knife is one of the most technically pure knives I've had as a graduation knife. Of course, Russell started learning from Ron (RIP), and he is just super capable, so I can't take much credit for his development. Though, I have been critiquing and maybe a couple of tips here and there. When he came on board here at FF as an employee and an apprentice, his knives were already at the point he could have graduated honestly. But he still wanted to go through the process, and I was honored that he thought I could help him. He is one of the most solid men I know too. You can count on Russell. I'll be posting a thread with pics of the knife on Monday.

So for me, it was a big show. I was kinda blown away by it.

Pics or the fishing trip didn’t happen. :) Andy, thanks for bringing so many cool people together in one place. Truly a highlight of every year for me. CONGRATULATIONS Russell! Well deserved! There has been some truly incredible talent come out of that apprentice program. Looking forward to the thread Andy is going to create.

2v2JT3kR3xurAoi.jpg

2v2JT3kPUxurAoi.jpg

2v2JT3k4zxurAoi.jpg

Nice bass there Andy. Styling fishing ensemble too.

Had a blast at BLADE as always. Big difference this year was my oldest boy being able to hang out for most of the show on Saturday. Not only that, but the 17 year old actually wanted to be around his Dad. It was fun watching him handle the Dragonfly knives at your booth and start doing mental calculations on how he could save up for it. And while I haven't gotten a knife from you "yet", I was able to pick up a nice knife from Kyle.

So knifemaking isn’t the only thing you’re modest about. Most people would hold those fish close to the camera so they look 50lbs! Thanks for sharing - looks like a great day.

Best hat ever. 1. It was only ten dollars at a street vendor while we were on a cruize last year. 2. It keeps the glare down way better than a baseball hat. 3. It keeps my ears and my neck from sunburning. I still haven't fixed that ribbon though. I like it skewed.

I thought I'd hate that shirt. Found it in a clearance bin so I gave it a shot. Its a game changer for fishing. I underestimated how much effect it would have on sweating.

Best hat ever. 1. It was only ten dollars at a street vendor while we were on a cruize last year. 2. It keeps the glare down way better than a baseball hat. 3. It keeps my ears and my neck from sunburning. I still haven't fixed that ribbon though. I like it skewed.

Oh, please don't 'fix' the ribbon-- it's part of what makes it a Perfect fishing hat. o_O

[Hats have sorta become one of my other Thangs, so I noticed it straight off-- and laughed.]

~ P.

Fiddleback Fiddleback nice to see you coming around to taking on the trappings of a true fisherman. Been thinking a bit about this past Blade these last few days and I'll post up my reflections directly.

Nice bass by the way...

Last edited:
It was a pleasure meeting you Andy.
I appreciate you taking the time to introduce me to the crew at USA Made Blade as well.

Mark

Back