33, Weight or Date?

I picked up an axe head marked Wm. Frankfurth Hand Hammered. On the reverse side it’s marked with 33 underneath a capital W. Is the 33 mark year or weight? The 3’s are identical in size and both match the size of the W. Thanks in advance….

Since it's not a date (1933 ?)
or weight (33 grams or 33 kg ?)

So maybe a model number ?
Or manufacturer name W33 ? [less possible anyway]

I picked up an axe head marked Wm. Frankfurth Hand Hammered. On the reverse side it’s marked with 33 underneath a capital W. Is the 33 mark year or weight? The 3’s are identical in size and both match the size of the W. Thanks in advance….
Most likely made by Warren in 1933, but we need pictures.

I found several pocket knives mady by

Wm Frankfurth Hdwe co.

None have date on them, or weight !

Looks as Wm F was big department store (or network) as Sears !

William Frankfurth was born in Germany in 1829. He immigrated to the United States in 1849. After spending a year in Ohio, he moved to Milwaukee in 1850 and found employment with the Pritzlaff Hardware Company. In 1862, he opened his own small retail hardware store on the corner of Third and Chestnut (now W. Juneau Ave.). William expanded into wholesale hardware and moved into a new building at 116-118 Clybourn Street in 1885. The business continued to thrive after William passed away in 1891as other family members, either by birth or marriage, directed the company. Another buildingwas built along N. Plankinton Ave. in 1902 and a seven-story addition followed in 1920. At one point, Frankfurth Hardware wasthe largest hardware wholesaler in the Midwest, but it closed its doors in 1979.

Last edited:
Since it's not a date (1933 ?)
or weight (33 grams or 33 kg ?)

So maybe a model number ?
Or manufacturer name W33 ? [less possible anyway]
Here's something similar with a W33 marking:
vintage-antique-1933-lakeside-double-3774582323

I think the 33 is 3 3/4 pounds.
It weighed in at 3lb 5oz. The steel is fantastic. I hung it earlier and had a pile of rounds from an older mature Pear tree that it made short work of. The edge feels the same as it did before splitting.

Back