$39.99 Rookies, $42.99 Standards

They are still on sale and they still have some in stock. I just ordered one of each in plain edge. Quite a bargain. If anybody is thinking about getting one of these, now is the time. Especially since they have been discontinued.

------------------
"Those who trade essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Yeah, I ordered a Standard and a Rookie both in plain edge. SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!! They said they have plenty in stock, in the standards anyhow. Man, it's nice to get a sweet deal every now and then.

p.s. they are out of the 29 dollar old style endura's , too late.
------------------
Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!
**Blazing Saddles**

[This message has been edited by aflatfoot (edited 02-23-2000).]

Is the Rookie real similar to the Jess Horn?
Kinda pointy? Less or more? Thanks.

------------------
MC

"Life is nothin' but a series of fascinations"

Ok, and lots of hard work...

The Horn is more slender, less belly and more pointy. The Standard resembles the Delica albiet a smaller size overall. Take a peek at the Spyderco site.

Originally posted by mcfg:
Is the Rookie real similar to the Jess Horn?
Kinda pointy? Less or more? Thanks.

The Rookie is to a Police, what a Chevy Blazer is to a Tahoe.

(Kinda reminds me of those standardized tests in grade school)
smile.gif

------------------
Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!
**Blazing Saddles**

Thanks a flat footer! Our Spyderco nut Nakano 2 kinda missed my question, I do have the Standard, Nakano, just needed a little help towards the Rookie. I don't have the Police though. Maybe its time to at least get a Rookie. Thanks guys.

MC

My mistake. I did mean the Rookie instead of the Standard. But the Standard still resembles the Delica a bit. And although the Rookie is longer in OAL, the Standard has a slightly fuller feel in the hand. That' s my experience.

L8r,
Nakano

I'VE ORDERED ALOT FROM SMKW AND THEY ALWAYS SAY IT TAKES 2WEEKS BUT ITS MORE LIKE 3DAYS I QUESS THEY JUST LIKE SAYING 2WEEKS.

SINCE NO ONE ELSE GAVE IT ,HERE IS THE ULR
WWW.SMOKYMOUNTAINKNIFE.COM

PS. THEY DON'T ALWAYS LIST THE SAME STUFF IN THE CATALOG AS THEY DO THE WEB SITE THE CATALOG IS WAY BETTER!
smile.gif

RECEIVED MY STANDARD TODAY. I HAD ORDERED THE ROOKIE IN SERRATED AND THE STANDARD IN PLAIN EDGE. I ALREADY KNEW WHAT I WAS GETTING WHEN I ORDERED THE ROOKIE BUT THE STANDARD WAS A BIT OF A SUPRISE. I REALLY LIKE THE STANDARD, ALTHOUGH I HAVE ALWAYS PREFERRED TIP-UP CARRY. THE STANDARD IS VERY BEEFY. COMPARING KNIVES TO TRUCKS, THIS WOULD BE THE OLD WORKHORSE TRUCK SOME FARMER CHECKS HIS COWS WITH EVERY DAY. NOT TOO FLASHY, ULTILITARIAN AS HELL, AND INDESTRUCTIBLE. BESIDES, WHEN YOU CAN BUY TWO G-10 SPYDIES FOR UNDER $100.00 INCLUDING SHIPPING YOU CAN'T BEAT IT!

------------------
EXCUSE ME WHILE I WHIP THIS OUT.
**Blazing Saddles**

I'm with you 300% as I just received my third Standard.
This knife really distinguishes itself from Spyderco's entire lineup.
There is no other like it, and it is by far the beefiest (yet compact) Spyderco I own.
God forbid that I lose a Standard and would have to accept something else in it's place because it's no longer available.
Guess I now have a spare for my spare.
The Standard and the Toad are the only trios in my collection. They will be gone someday, but I've got a life's supply.
Bill

No Rookie Bill?

I agree that the Standard is special. Have only one though.

I still have not pulled the trigger on buying the Rookie. Should I?

MC

Absolutely. The rookie is a great little knife. I like it better than the standard, and that is saying alot.

------------------
Dennis Bible

Originally posted by mcfg:
No Rookie Bill?

I still have not pulled the trigger on buying the Rookie. Should I?

MC

DEFINITELY BUY THE ROOKIE. I VIEW THE STANDARD AS MORE SUITABLE FOR AN EVERY DAY BEATER. THE ROOKIE IS COOL EVERYBODY SHOULD HAVE ONE.

------------------
EXCUSE ME WHILE I WHIP THIS OUT.
**Blazing Saddles**

OK. I have a Rookie on the way now.
There were just too many positive comments from persons whom I have learned their tastes over time.
I'll let everyone know my thoughts when it arrives.
There's nothing more attractive than a knife that enthuses many different people.
And, at the sub $40 price, who can go wrong ?
Bill

Do the G-10 Rookies have the single stainless steel liner, like the G-10 Standard? Or are they linerless, like the BF Native?

Thanks.

------------------
iktomi

Are the only differences between the Rookie and the Standard the size and a slight change in the handle shape?

The Rookies from SMKW do have the single liner as do the Standards on the clip side, which the clip is screwed into.

FYI...The first Rookies that came out did not have a liner, only the G10 handles...Thinner knife, but I perfer my clip to have that extra steel to bite into.

------------------
~Keith~
"War to the knife and knife to the hilt"

Wow! They still had these closeouts in stock. I picked up a Standard and a Rookie. The only downside to the deal I can think of was sales tax, but that's the price I pay for living in Tennessee.

Thanks for the tip AncientSUL, and thanks to everybody else for all the info you provided in your discussions. I was thinking about getting another Delica and an Endura. But I'm happy to have gotten these knives right now instead.

What a sweet deal!

Back