1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D carbon fiber dressed blades

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by John Blazy, Dec 7, 2018 at 3:36 PM.

1. John Blazy

John Blazy KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 3, 2017
    John Gray knocked it out of the park with his use of Chatoyant Carbon Fiber in Wild Ribbon Flame / Purple Chameleon interleaf

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then Allen Elishewitz has continued his love of CCF (new blades featuring lots of it at upcoming TKI show)
    AE-WRF-Plat-Full.jpg
    AE-WRF-Plat-Folded.jpg
    Recently perfected my dichroic resin stock into machineable grip / inlay stock as well (Dichrolam Red Burl below)
    1911-redburl-full.jpg
    [​IMG]
    Then Black Sea was reborn:
    [​IMG]

These two previous materials are also making their way into custom knives, just no pics yet.

Then Jason Overall of Larevo Knives has had cool success with CCF:

Larevo-810.JPG
    Larevo-Flame-1080.JPG

This pic illustrates why its 3D. The CF has inherent chatoyance (measure of light reflection off fiberous materials, Tiger Eye, Sapphire, figured wood, etc), and this is the first CF ever that is pressed in molds that are based on actual wood figure. When machined flat, it shows the 3D "flash" of figure seen in curly maple, figured Koa, etc. Except that I designed the molds with emphasized figure, and wider flame waves.
    1911-SolidCF-angleFull.jpg
    1911-SolidCF-gripFramed-fixed.JPG

The above is solid CF, but I am able to interleaf metallic layers during layup like this:
    CCF-WRF-31Plat-1911grips.JPG

2. anton_anton

anton_anton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 10, 2011
    very nicely done!

John Blazy likes this.