4.5 BC verses ???

So while some of us are waiting for the 4.5 BC to come out, what are you using in the mean time? And what are are you planning on using the 4.5 BC for.

I use the Benchmade Nimravus for, wait for it ................wait for it. Food prepping daily for the last 10 years. It fits my hand and travels well when working out in the oilfield. Kitchen knives out there SUCK. Hence the reason for a small knife with a sheath and why I still use it at home.

Just curious what other people are using till the 4.5 BC comes out

I don't have a bushcrafter on order, but probably the closest thing I've got to the BC is a liten bror that I flat ground. I wanted a straight slicer, and it works great on deer. I think the BC would beat it out though without the need for modification.

Last edited:
Here is my go to, kitchen /hiker light knife. Dogwood Custom echo 5. 3/32" 01 blade is A SLICER.

Nothing at the moment but I have a 4.5 BC on preorder. I looked around a bit for a slicer and I kept coming up with knives which (IMHO) were not in the same league as the GSOs but still selling for more $ (from some respected knife makers) and with less stellar steel than the 3V! I may try getting a Carothers Field Knife on his June 17th sale and/or may order another GSO 4.5 before the preorder window closes.

My Battle/Blind Horse and L.T. Wright's are my prototypical bushcraft knives. Everybody should have a Smoky Mountain Razor, I don't even like scandi edges but that is the best handle ever. The HM ESEE 3 and 4's and Laser Strike fit the bill well, and the BK16 is boss. Osprey K&T Apache Hunter is nice, Fall Creek Bushcrafter is beautiful and functional as hell, Fiddleback production Busxhfinger is good. Busse Active Duty and AMS are both really good even with their choils. My 5.1 isn't getting outclassed by any of them for the record though. It cuts all the things and it does it well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Only one I kept is a old fugly but very useable Koster kit knife, high grind scandi in 3v.
Really liked the Blind horse/BHK/LTW bushcrafters but I have been spoiled on 3v and 0-1 ,A-2 just doesn't trip my trigger anymore.

The only thin stock knife I have is a BR kephart though I don't use it for hunting purposes. I'm thinking the 4.5 to be a great hunting knife but I won't know it until I get it in hand. I do have one on preorder but I think it'll be a long while before we see it.

Only one I kept is a old fugly but very useable Koster kit knife, high grind scandi in 3v.
Really liked the Blind horse/BHK/LTW bushcrafters but I have been spoiled on 3v and 0-1 ,A-2 just doesn't trip my trigger anymore.

I have been thinking about an LT Wright slicer like one of his Genesis models but TBH, the cost has been prohibitive for me because of the steel used. I know it sounds strange that I drop $200+ on GSO preorder knowing that it may take well over a year to see any of those while being careful with my money on a readily available LTWK blade, but the end result in the case of GSOs will beat the instant gratification of getting an LTWK blade, speaking for myself. Granted that I recently bought an LTWK Overland machete, but that is a completely different story. I think that I will stick to the desire of landing an NTM Field Knife in the meantime. Not exactly made for slicing purposes, but very capable and also not a slouch by any means as compared to any comparably sized GSOs.

LT Wright makes a great knife and has some of the finest ergonomics in my collection. While the type of steel used is important, sometimes we can get caught up on the numbers etched on the blade stock. Ergos and blade geometry usually trump the steel used in a knife (for me, anyways). I love the two Genesis models I own from LT. Busse, Survive and Lt Wright are pretty much the only fixed blade companies I frequent.

I have no qualms about the other equally important factors and components which go into making a great knife for its intended purpose. I llooked up some Genesis models and the one I thought that I may end up liking would run me around $240 with leather sheath. It's just a personal preference but to protect my $$$, I'd rather go with a Carother for $25 more while I'm waiting on my 4.5 BC. Landing NTM's knives is akin to being the very first few in line though. Not an overtly easy task!

The only thin stock knife I have is a BR kephart though I don't use it for hunting purposes. I'm thinking the 4.5 to be a great hunting knife but I won't know it until I get it in hand. I do have one on preorder but I think it'll be a long while before we see it.

I don't own a br kephart, but my buddy does and I've been able to use it. That knife is a heck of a slicer and dandy all-arounder.

A while ago when I had ordered my WRKT Backpacker neck knife from DullKnife Terminator through Amazon, the retailer in error sent me a Justin Gingrich design GTi 3 knife! The Backpacker was like, I don't remember exactly, but like $100? Instead they sent me a $200 knife which I thought was quite a nice upgrade for my handsome face and humble character :D

Nevertheless, I could not accept such generous gift and emailed the retailer and they were very relieved that I had let then know ;)

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because that GTi 3 looked like a pretty nice hunting knife for dressing game and things. Just the ergonomics lend itself for that purpose, start as shitte DLC coated S35V steel and one of those heavy Rocky Mountain handle scales. I was not enamored with those handle scales (not my thang!) and the weight of that little knife but it could have grown on me if it had a darn lanyard hole! That said, it was a beautiful and sharp blade with a very nice and high quality ambidextrous leather sheath. I would not spend $200 on that model or $300 on its larger 4.5" brother, but if I find one on sale, I may just go for the 3" one (hence GTi 3).

I have been thinking about an LT Wright slicer like one of his Genesis models but TBH, the cost has been prohibitive for me because of the steel used. I know it sounds strange that I drop $200+ on GSO preorder knowing that it may take well over a year to see any of those while being careful with my money on a readily available LTWK blade, but the end result in the case of GSOs will beat the instant gratification of getting an LTWK blade, speaking for myself. Granted that I recently bought an LTWK Overland machete, but that is a completely different story. I think that I will stick to the desire of landing an NTM Field Knife in the meantime. Not exactly made for slicing purposes, but very capable and also not a slouch by any means as compared to any comparably sized GSOs.

Dont know if they still make it but the LTWK maverick scout is a great field kitchen knife. I had a custom one made with .18 stock and always regretted selling it. I wish I had just gone with the standard thinner stock.

LTWK Co knives are always on my radar, but a third or fourth to GSO and NTM knives. That said, if I had a heavy need / use for a bevvy of knives, I would not hesitate to have a few on his knives at my disposal and in the tools collection. The other make of course would be Fiddleback Forge in parallel to LTWK. I like both these makers and if I really get into FF, I could seriously damage my wallet even more. For now I rather park my wallet in here :D

Back