4.7 Sharpening Angle ?

I know, I know, just take a marker and...

I find this a little imprecise and have missed by a degree or so before, so if anyone can tell me factory edge angle, I would appreciate it!

Thanks

What is the factory angle on my knife?
We do not have one specific angle that we use in the workshop. All SURVIVE! knives are between 20 and 24 degrees per side. As a general rule, smaller models tend to have a smaller included angle.

The above is from the FAQ on the website. I've been aiming for 20 degrees per side on my 5 and 4.7 and 4.1.

A degree or 2 won't matter in real world use. I freehand sharpen as a side business and the edges I put on blades have no measurements yet not one as ever come back or failed to perform.

A degree or 2 won't matter in real world use. I freehand sharpen as a side business and the edges I put on blades have no measurements yet not one as ever come back or failed to perform.

I normally reprofile to convex edges on my belt sander, but I figured that I would try the Wicked Edge system. I just posted this over in the Busse forum (my 2nd knife on the W.E.).

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...harp-Infidu-Splitting-Hairs-Under-Microscope?

My edge angle estimate was off and I took off more steel than I wanted, but it did come out really sharp :D
I am going less acute on the 4.7

......I normally reprofile to convex edges on my belt sander, but I figured that I would try the Wicked Edge system......

I think you're making the right call going with the wicked edge for the 4.7, rather than the powered system. I understand there's a lower temperature heat treat on this 3V, and definitely on the D3V, that you can affect if you get much heat into the blade. Nice hair feather-sticking with that INFI RMD! :D

Don't worry about being imprecise, the marker trick does work. I use a strop bat by GRE Industries, http://www.jreindustries.com/strops.htm. There's something to be said about knowing how to use your leather belt and jeans or a piece of cardboard to sharpen a knife.

Last edited:
Light touchup on Sharpmaker fine in 40 degree marks sharpens UB CRU-V perfectly.

Back