4 lb mini sledge hafting question

I use a 4 lb mini sledge to split big osage logs into bow staves. I tried using a 6 lb but that wears my arm out after a few hours. It's pretty rough on the hammer. I don't miss the wedges so that's not the problem. I made a new hickory handle for an old hammer that belonged to my wife's grandfather. I thought I had a good fit on it but it started coming loose and ended up snapping off just below the eye. I picked up an older Craftsman hammer at an auction last weekend and the handle was very solid on it. After a full day of swinging it I noticed the head slipped about an 1/8". I'm getting pretty frustrated now. I saw a 4lb head on ebay with a large square eye. Would something like that be better for how I'm using it? Looking at the 2 hammers I have been using they seem to have small eyes for the weight of the head and how I'm using it. I'm giving serious thought into buying an Estwing Long-Handle Drilling Hammer. It has the solid steel construction. However, I would much prefer to use an older hammer with a wooden handle. I like to use old tools but I don't want to rehang it twice a year. To give you an idea on how I'm using it I'll take a 20" osage log 7' long and split it down into staves that are roughly 3" x 3". Some days I'll swing the hammer from early morning until dark. Maybe I'm asking to much for something with an eye that small.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I would stay with wood just for the shock absorbing value. The one that snapped off just below the head was a bad piece of wood. You get those. Don't let it change your plan.

With those small sledges I will often glue the head on with construction adhesive. Smear the inside of the eye and the haft with a layer of glue. Assemble and wedge. Glue should ooze out everywhere and fill every void. Let set for at least 24 hours before using. Never had one come loose.

I would rather take ten or fifteen minutes and rehaft everyday than use a Estwing drilling hammer.

I am sure there are other options for you Outlaw just not sure what they are other than some fiberglass handled tools that are not a bad compromise. I have had pretty good luck with them actually. The two handles a year sounds about right for that tool used hard and in the elements.

What's wrong with using the drilling hammer? I've thought about getting something with a fiberglass handle but figured the one piece steel hammer would be more durable.

What's wrong with using the drilling hammer? I've thought about getting something with a fiberglass handle but figured the one piece steel hammer would be more durable.

The Estwing will be the most durable. You probably won't lose to much performance wise to the heavy steel handle with that weight but you should be aware that Estwing's don't list head weight. It's total weight.

The Estwing drillings are the most uncomfortable hammers I have ever used. I don't like the all steel vibration. Some people don't mind it though.

I stand corrected Estwing is now listing head weights. 4lbs is a 4 lb head.

OK. Thanks for the information. Since I'm hitting a steel wedge into wood I wonder how bad the vibrations would be.

All steel hammers are not so bad for claw hammers but heavy and uncomfortable for things like machinist, sledges , or drilling hammers.
Have you tried out a 3lb - 4lb drilling hammer yet ?
They were designed to hammer these special thingies into rock for splitting it up, so you should have no problem using one to hammer wedges into wood.
drillers are pretty common you just have to make sure to get a good proper full contact inside the eye then get it wedged nice and tight with a blo soak to swell it up and it should stay put.

I haven't tried one out yet. So far all I've used is a sledge with a wood handle. I think they have a shorter version of that hammer at work. I might swing it a few times tomorrow so I get an idea on how it feels.

Back