410 stainless steal? will it rust?

I got a little water down in the 410 stainless steel handle of my kershaw scallion. couldnt get it apart cuz the back of the pivot spins with the screw, so i sprayed a bunch of gun oil down there, will it rust?

i doubt it will rust. to keep the pivot pin from spinning, press it down on a piece of leather while unscrewing it and it should come loose.

I got a little water down in the 410 stainless steel handle of my kershaw scallion. couldnt get it apart cuz the back of the pivot spins with the screw, so i sprayed a bunch of gun oil down there, will it rust?

You can get rid of water by rinsing with acetone, then oiling.
However, 410 stainless is highly rust resistant (that's why they use it) and I wouldn't worry about it. I especially would not disassemble the knife. Likely to cause more harm than good.

Don't worry about the handle rusting, especially if it's just fresh water (saltwater might be a concern). 410 stainless is very rust-resistant. If any water remains inside, it can be flushed out with WD-40 or isopropyl alcohol. Personally, I'd avoid using acetone. If there are any plastic or nylon components in the knife (bushings, maybe), it might damage them.

I agree, there's no need to take the knife apart for this.

No need to take the knife apart, but you can open the blade and bend it as to put pressure on to the pivot, It should let you unscrew it without the pivot spinning.

Or press it on the underside of your mouse pad for traction:thumbup:.

I would agree with the others and recommend that you don't disassemble the knife, especially Speed Safe openers, unless absolutely necessary. WD-40 in the pivot should flush the water right out.

thanks guys. i allready got it apart. taped a small piece of rubber to tha back of the pivot as tight as possible, then to top that off i pushed down on it with my finger as hard as i could, and was able to get it apart.

Back