416 stainless heat treat

Does anyone have a 416 stainless heat treat recipe that they might want to share? I have some custom pivot barrels I need to make.

Download this app: asm international heat treaters guide companion.

According to it you can harden by heading to 1695 to 1850 and quenching in oil, temper at 400-1400. 42HRC as quenched.

Ht is far more complex than just this though, check out the app.

Last edited:
For guards and integral liners (for slipjoints) I put 416 (in stainless foil) in the oven at 1900 for 30 min, then temper at 1100 for 2 hours. This produces around 32-33rc. It machines and works beautifully at low to mid 30’s

For guards and integral liners (for slipjoints) I put 416 (in stainless foil) in the oven at 1900 for 30 min, then temper at 1100 for 2 hours. This produces around 32-33rc. It machines and works beautifully at low to mid 30’s
I do the same.

I had never thought about HT'ing 416 SS for guard use. I guess that helps keep it from scratching so easily in use?

So, would you heat treat the pivot pin on a slip joint? I am guessing not, but can't find it explicitly said either way...

So, would you heat treat the pivot pin on a slip joint? I am guessing not, but can't find it explicitly said either way...
No, you want the pin soft so it will pin easily and hide.

Back