4th of July

This one is for meako meako
Hot rod days hopefully resume at retirement!
FgdoJxd.jpg

Happy Independence Day!

Nice movie, problem is that the story has been reversed. True story is a French corsair named Surcouf took a much heavily armed English vessel (the Kent) with a much smaller crew (la Confiance). That was on 31 aug 1800.
English victories were always in line battles, but the French corsaires sunk more vessels ...
There's a period song to immortalize that. Sorry, the refrain is a bit hard toothed for the English crown!
To sum it with a trendy word, Master and commander is just a fake!
Confiance_Kent_fight.jpg

300px-BattleOfVirginiaCapes.jpg
French (left) and Britain ships (right) at the battle of the Chesapeake off Yorktown in 1781; the outnumbered British fleet departed, leaving the British army no choice but to surrender.
On our Independence day I say God bless America! But to our French friends I say Vive la France!
To our English friends I say God save the Queen! And I'm really glad were friends now:):thumbsup:

5wa8K3b.jpg

meako meako
It ain't no hotrod but I am definitely letting Ol'Glory fly today! Thanks for starting this thread and your well wishes to us "Yanks". Been watching allot of Australian off road channels on YouTube, and I'll be dipped, the whole country AINT desert and crocs!:eek:;) The Victorian high country looks very much like where I grew up, just less settled:thumbsup:

That was the Quasi-war.
French privateers would have been very happy to have large vessels like the Acheron! Did you hear of Garneray? His books are fascinating , he embarked with Surcouf, then became an official Navy painter. The Floating Prison is a frightening testimony of how war prisoneers were treated.
View attachment 1155501
More songs from sailors and fishers to Iceland and New Found Land (Terre Neuve):

Yes the Quasi-War, inflamed by the XYZ Affair, during the presidency of John Adams.

I didn’t know about Garneray, JP - another fascinating life story. I must admit I’m quite ignorant of a lot of French maritime history - so I always appreciate the references and Chants de Marins which you provide, my friend.:thumbsup:

Indeed! Thanks for the info, Chin.:thumbsup:

The only sea shanty I know:

Heave a pawl, oh heave away
Weigh hey, roll and go
The anchor's on board, the cables all stored
To be rollicking randy dandy Oh!

That’s a good one Mark.:thumbsup:

In keeping with the American theme, one of the great ‘Shanty Mills’ was Mobile Bay. Sailors from all over the world would congregate there in season, when ships were packed full of cotton bales for export, and exchange tales and learn new shanties which they took back on their subsequent travels.

Different shanties or chanteys correspond to the different tasks which sailors had to keep time to.

There were halyard or long haul chanteys for hauling up sails, ‘short hauls’ for reefing and shortening sail, capstan chanteys for turning the windlass, and so on.

Foc’sle shanties were sung by the sailors in their quarters after their work was done and were often comedic or wistful songs.

This is an American pump shanty from the 1850s:

And this is a foc’sle shanty which was traditionally sung at the end of a voyage, as the ship was coming into port:

The Victorian high country looks very much like where I grew up, just less settled:thumbsup:

Good one David. I spend as much time as I can up there. Was up there a couple of weekends ago and will be again in a few days. :thumbsup:

E9bSsoH.jpg

m03np20.jpg

nrswgaU.jpg

sJKuE6L.jpg

I’m thankful that in both our respective countries we can still explore and enjoy the vast beauty of true wilderness. :)

Ok it’s late here now, so I’ll wish you all a great Independence Day before I turn in to get some shuteye.;):thumbsup:

Last edited:
Good one David. I spend as much time as I can up there. Was up there a couple of weekends ago and will be again in a few days. :thumbsup:

E9bSsoH.jpg

m03np20.jpg

nrswgaU.jpg

sJKuE6L.jpg

I’m thankful that in both our respective countries we can still explore and enjoy the vast beauty of true wilderness. :)

Ok it’s late here now, so I’ll wish you all a great Independence Day before I turn in to get some shuteye.;):thumbsup:
It’s a pleasure to visually walk through your wilderness images, Chin.

5wa8K3b.jpg

meako meako
It ain't no hotrod but I am definitely letting Ol'Glory fly today! Thanks for starting this thread and your well wishes to us "Yanks". Been watching allot of Australian off road channels on YouTube, and I'll be dipped, the whole country AINT desert and crocs!:eek:;) The Victorian high country looks very much like where I grew up, just less settled:thumbsup:
I recently visted the locality of Nerrigundah...just over the hill ...the road in being the most spectacular part...tall timber ,impressive widerness vistas...some interesting gold mining history from the 1880s but pretty quiet these days..gorgeous country.
20190626-123707.jpg

20190626-123344.jpg

Theres not much out there.

E9bSsoH.jpg

m03np20.jpg

nrswgaU.jpg

sJKuE6L.jpg

Wonderful pictures of a breathtaking land where it seems no man's hand ever set foot, as would say the mayor of Champignac-en-Cambrousse! :D:eek:
3709806-maire.jpg

Back