5-star Arvika single bit axe

Cliff Stamp

BANNED
This is a 5-Star Arvika single bit felling axe from Hults Bruks, with a bit geometry for Australian hardwoods, which means quite basically that it is very obtuse, with a lot of sweep to the convex edge bevel. In addition the edge has a secondary bevel on top of this for even more strength. It notes that it should be sharpened before use, though is still sharper than most hardware store axes.

Fit and finish :

The handle has decent grain and is without and knots or other large problems, but does come coated, which is irregular, and you would want to remove for comfort and security. I do like the painted butt though, just because it makes it easy to spot and since I commonly have multiple axes, blades and saws with me, it is nice when they stand out strongly and I don't end up leaving them behind. As noted in the above, the edge while robust, is decently formed. However the head is skewed to the left, and the head/handle alignment is off. Considering that Jim picked this one out, this doesn't say a lot for the current state of pruduction. The Gransfors axes usually have straight heads, but even they have problems with head/handle alignment.

NIB performance :

This is not really NIB as I had to do some light sanding on the handle to remove the knobs in the finish, as they were fairly abrasive however the edge was unchanged in profile, just sharpened to a shaving polish. You can chop with it, can just meaning able, you can chop with a shovel if you want. Anyway, the penetration on Pine is very low, in fact it could not match the performance of the Gransfors Bruks Forest axe, so the full size felling axe from Gransfors would have obviously been out of its league, which isn't surprising as they are made for different woods. This was just out bucking some wood in my backyard, to get the feel for it. Of course with the thicker bit profile you are also hit with a double whammy because in addition to the lower penetration you are forced to chop at more acute angles as otherwise the axe will glance, thus you can't open very large cuts and are thus forged to either multiple notch, or keep widening.

Slight modification :

I had intended to do a series of comparisons against the GB Forest axe as I slimmed down the geometry of the Hults, but forgot about this, mainly because the performance of the Hults was too low and I was too impatient and wanted to get out the performance that I knew was there. Anyway, the first thing I did was take off the secondary bevel, this just took a few minutes with a bastard file and then some waterstones and stropping to restore the edge. I then spent an afternoon in the woods with the Hults and the Forest axe, both sharpened to a hair shaving polish. The Hults was way behind in terms of raw penetration, and still had to work at lower angles. I was using full swings from the hips with the Hults and just swinging from the shoulder with the Forest axe, which is lighter and has a shorter handle, showing of course the huge difference geometry makes. The Hults does not bind at all, which makes for a more fluid pace, but the lack of penetration swamps this factor out completely.

Heavy modification :

I wore out a coarse sanding drum on the Dremel removing metal from the edge grind on the Hults which is about 3/4 of an inch wide, then the primary multiple hollow grind takes over. I then used a bastard file to even up the edge, as the Dremel had left some hollows, and then sharpened with some waterstones (1000 and 4000) and finished with CrO on leather. Now the Hults could stay with the Forest axe on the softer woods, and since it didn't bind at all, and would readily knock the chips out, it was easily the preferred axe. In addition, I could work closer to the ground with less strain as I wasn't bending over nearly as much. I quite literally bashed through some of the heavier knots with no edge damage to the Hults, which isn't surprising as the very edge still sweeps out to more than 40 degrees included and isn't going to be effected by the harder of the woods we have around here like Oak, and even the knottier Black Spruce.

Further modification :

I basically repeated the above grinding again, and the entire edge bevel was starting to look very flat. The lowest it can go is about 15 degrees per side, unless I want to work on the primary grind, which won't be any time soon considering the metal which would need to come off. The bevel now only sweeps down too quickly in the last 75 thousands or so, of course as with any edge reshaping, the more shoulder you remove, the more metal you need to remove to drop it down the same distance again, so even though I did the same amount of grinding this time as I did previous, it only resulted in a slight refinement to the first session. Basically now even large Pine trees of say 10-11 inches (a two hit span) are very easily felled, under a minute on a clean run with no knots. The axe is still not binding, and readily breaks the chips clear of the wood. However the very edge is still too thick for the woods we have here, the harder woods like Black spruce are still a problem, as the penetration is still too low on them. However, the Hults now easily outperforms the Forest axe, but I would assume still could not stand against the GB felling axe. Anyway who has used the two I would appreciate a rough estimate of the relative felling ability.

So right now the Hults is seeing a lot of use on felling trees of above four inches. On the smaller woods I use a pruning saw as they are not stiff enough for the axe and too much impact energy is lost in moving the tree. As the bit gets slimmed down more and more, the axe will become able to work on smaller trees. On the four inches ones I use the saw for the undercut and then just give it a couple of hits to clear the notch. On the smaller trees I just saw them all the way down. The axe is a bit too big to use for limbing as it is fairly heavy and has a high rate of fatigue when using one handed, and of course is a bit overkill. I don't use axes for limbing in general as that is one of the things I like to do with the larger brush blades I have. I intend to bring the edge grind on the Hults basically quite close to flat with just a little sweep in the last 25 or so thousands to about 17-18 degrees per side. This is still a little heavy for felling on clear wood, but I want the axe to be able to take some of the harder knots, otherwise I would leave it down to ~15 which is about the limit I can go without working on the primary grind.

As for the metal, it can be filed, but not easily, so the hardness is up there, similar to the GB I would assume. It can also take a fine polish, it won't shave as well as the GB or do light cutting with the same ability, but that is just because the bit geometry is so much thicker. It will easily last multiple sessions of felling, but I sharpen it after every one just because I keep lowering the profile. I did find that my precision and accuracy went up with the Hults over the Forest axe, mainly because I was slowing down, but also because I wasn't as bent over, and was swinging from a more stable base. Hopefully I can get some time on a friends grinder this week and produce the optimal edge profile, I'll then post up some shots of the modification and some numbers on how it compares to the Bruks Forest axe in terms of raw penetration as well as time and fatigue issues.

I have not taken any shots yet, and if you want to see what this axe looks like Jimbo has some shots on the following web page :

http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/fire.html

-Cliff

Welcome to the world of angle and belt grinders!
I guess you're not buying into the hype of these being used as cheap competition axes without a LOT of work.... The main point is that that axe was the best of many so you can guess what the rest were like. I used mine yesterday to cut through a lot of tough wood full of knots and it worked well - but it has had an aweful lot of grinding work and still needs a longer handle to make it more useable. I felt quite bad telling people how I couldn't find another decent specimen after they read my page and wanted a Hults - but now I'm sure that they'll understand.
The page on rebuilding an old axe features what I am sure is a Hults head - from the days when they wouldn't put their stamp on a head that's vastly better than what you got.
The current Iltis thin blade that I'm working on has many hours into it, and I'd guess that their tooling is worn out too.
I'm sure looking forward to getting a GB large axe - and if it lives up to what I already have in the line, there couldn't be any competition.

Jimbo :

I guess you're not buying into the hype of these being used as cheap competition axes without a LOT of work....

I can't imagine so, competion class is 3" of penetration across a 6" face on pine. NIB, this axe wasn't getting close to 1".

I'm sure looking forward to getting a GB large axe - and if it lives up to what I already have in the line, there couldn't be any competition.

The only problem in that regard is that the Forest axe binds too readily on the woods we have here, so I would expect the felling axe to be worse given the expected higher penetration. My brother doesn't swing as hard as me though and thus the problem is less, so even if the axe isn't optimal for me, it is likely to be so for him so it will make a good gift. Plus it will set a lower bound on thickness anyway.

Based on what I have seen so far, the Hults will be very good once I get edge profile all the way down to ~15 . The primary grind could come down some, but not a lot as while the penetration would start to rise I would bet so would the wedging. It would be interesting to take down the side wings, I might have a look at that. I also think I'll pick up the larger Iltis and check out the penetration vs wedging issue which is the critical balance issue on axes.

-Cliff

I thought I had emailed you this link:
arvika
It seems to me from the pic that it's not yet sharpened...
Always a little humor...

If you decide on an Iltis, you might want to call special orders at Lee Valley and ask if they'll select one. The stuff around here is pretty grim. Mine works pretty well and I haven't taken the bevels all the way down yet. The larger Iltis balances very well on a 36" handle. New is pretty disappointing but if you get anything close to decent the postential is sure there for soft woods - after some belt grinding. The steel is OK too.

I'm wondering is anyone has any information on these:
Council

Yes, NIB, you basically have a really heavy club.

I spent a half an hour last night on a grinder hitting the shoulder, moving back the edge profile, as well as making it more acute by lowing the edge sweep. It took about fifteen minutes with a bastard file to remove the hollows and form a smooth convex taper to the edge, then as usual sharpen to a high polish. I have not got to use this yet, and probably won't until next weekend. However the performance now should be very solid and workable even on some of the knottier spruce which I have left alone.

With the edge dropped back, the optimal profile can go down to 13 degrees per side, and almost 3/4" wide. Right now the very edge is under 18 degrees and quickly sweeps back. Here is a shot showing the profile NIB, where it is now, and the straight lines are the optimal ~13 degree profile. I am a bit over halfway there, so about another session on the grinder should have the blade near perfect.

http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/images/edge_profile_arvika.gif

-Cliff

I just checked the specs on the GB Felling axe compared to the large Forest axe, and I would expect it to have about 1.8 times the raw penetration ability and about 2.3 times the raw cutting ability. These numbers will be influenced by technique and wood type, but the gain should be somewhere in that league. The larger one will induce far less fatigue on thicker wood felling, so these numbers would increase with extended work.

I have spent some time with the Hults with the new ground down profile, and right now it is in the nature of 2 times the chopping ability of the GB Forest axe. I will need to do much more work to get a decent comparison, as there is a huge amount of scatter from tree to tree even of very similar size and same type due to growth rate and how clean the wood grew.

The biggest difference was noted in using the Hults on a piece of ~12" knotty spruce. This would not have been a nice task for the Forest axe as it would have taken 4 hits to cover the tree and the axe would have seen a lot of pinching. With the Hults it was a lot of work, in fact I had to cut four notches on the front, mainly because of the knots, but nothing too extreme. Moving it is going to be the fun part, as even in short lengths it isn't going to be trivial to lift.

In any case, I am fairly confident now that the Hults axe would stand along side the GB felling axe and not be outclassed in terms of raw ability, in regards to its performance/weight though it would not fare as well. It still needs one more large grinding session, which I will do after working with a half a dozen or so times with the current profile. I also got around to sanding the handle and putting on a coat of linseen oil last night.

-Cliff

For sure you are into a grinding adventure with a Hults! The next thing it'll need is some more hollowing of the concave face so that you can really move the bevels down. I'll be taking the angle grinder to mine. Now that I've been using the heavier Iltis with the 36" handle I'm finding it a lot easier to carry and very effective for the weight. It's going to be very interesting to compare it to the GB heavy axe. The edge has held up well on a lot of heavy cutting of seasoned wood, and I'm very impressed as is now - and there's still lots of bevel lowering to go.

Yes, once the edge profile is down to the minimum as indicated in the above, I will be content with that aspect. However as the bevel gets lowered, I am starting to notice some wedging, not as severe as on the GB, and usually a result of a miss hit, but in any case I will want to work on the primary grind as you noted. I think I will hit the side wings and see if they offer any relief to the binding, I don't think it will induce any significant change in cutting ability.

Right now, with the above profile, I am approaching three inches of horizontal penetration on pine about six inches or so in size, small wood, and soft, large growth rings. I assume once the edge profile has been slimmed down to optimal, this will exceed three inches on such wood, and start to approach it on the larger pine. The edge is still very robust, I had to cut through some very heavy and knotty wood this weekend, and it held up without any visible problems.

This is turning out to be a very functional soft wood axe, however even with power equipment you are still looking at hours of grinding so I would view it as a project piece. Jimbo, how does the large Iltis compare? It looks to have a much more acute primary grind. While I assume the edge needs some work, I would figure that even with a file this should only be like 1/2 hour or so.

-Cliff

Unfortunately the two Iltis axes I have were both very poorly ground. The first I took because it was the best of many - the second was shipped without choosing. Getting the bevels into line took quite a while with my little 1" belt grinder - mostly because I hate to let the steel get hot. You'd be in for a lot of work with a file due to the hardness of the steel.
The final factory grind is so poor with a secondary grind running differently than the the main bevel. Basically you're down to making a new bevel and checking measurements. It's quite a job. Maybe you'll get lucky since some of the Iltis axes I've seen are not bad. Mine were probably ground during Octoberfest with the workers not seeing too well - that bad. Cleanup of the secondary grind makes for lots of extra work.
I have a little further to go with the Iltis - but performance is right up with the Hults and GB - falling between the two as relates to head weight and handle length. I doubt that any axe in the weight range would show any better performance - but the heavy GB is 7oz heavier so wee'll see. I had one 30" Hemlock which I got 7" penetration on because the wood was very soft - the axe stopped at the handle junction! Mostly though I go easy because I'm working on cliff paths and I'm pretty careful. I'd guess 2" penetration on hard wood.
I tried out a Norlund hatchet yesterday which happens to come out at the exact same weight as the GB Wildlife. It gives up nothing in terms of performance. I have a lot of grinding into that one though too.
I'd suggest that if you have wedging taking place, that the bevels are not even, putting pressure onto one face, or that the back of the bevels are not polished. My Scandinavian has a wedging problem due to uneven grinding of the bevels and I'm seeing the effect of bringing everything back into line - as I grind on it.
The bottom line to the rambling is that you sure can have an axe that works as well or better than a GB if you put an incredible amount of work in, have a grinder, and are really stubborn! I have some old axe heads coming to see if axe heads from many years ago are good. The Iltis and Norlund have steel as good as GB.

Jimbo :

I'd suggest that if you have wedging taking place, that the bevels are not even, putting pressure onto one face, or that the back of the bevels are not polished.

You are on target with the bevels, they are ground to shape, but I have not evened them out as they are not in final form yet. As well the skew in the head and the head/handle aligment will also cause binding problems. There is always the inherent problem of binding though, as it is the basic design limitation, as otherwise you would have really thin axe faces, but they are not practical as they just jam solid in the wood.

I am fairly curious about the designs on the racing axes as they have several refinements to the geometry to enhance chip removal. But at $500 US a shot, experimentation with the designs (there are a dozen or so), is going to run you a bit. Polishing helps as well, though not to the same extent, my axe heads are always fully oiled anyway and are very difficult to hold onto, the shape that is the major problem. I intend to spend some time cleaning this up once the final grinding is done.

Old axes can be wonderful finds, I do a lot of checking around but as of yet have not seen any decent ones used. You never know though what will turn up, you could have a real treasure under a solid coat of rust and a broken handle.

-Cliff

For sure putting an axe into shape is a lot of work! I'm starting to think of looking for a larger grinder...

Yes, this is a far larger task than adjusting the edge profile on even a large knife. The amount of steel that needs to be reduced to make even a change of a few angles is enough to make a knife. I had another 1/2 hour grinding session last night.

The steel quality is very sound, on saturday, one of the trees I was cutting had some heavy center rot, and the down cut passed right through and hit a rock as it cleared the tree. This just left a small impaction near the top of the bit just as it should.

-Cliff

It sure takes me a while to grind - unless I'm using the angle grinder to thin up - - away from the edge. What type of grinder are you using?

Most of the work was done on the disc grinder of a 1" belt sander. I am thinking of using an angle grinder to deepen the hollows. However it will take an extreme amount of time, and I am not confident that the benefits will be significant. It would be worth the trouble just to see. In any case, that is secondary to the edge profile, which still has a ways to go. The time is large mainly because of the constant cooling. I spent 1/2 hour grinding, but not even half of that is on the wheel. I am thinking about a decent wet wheel grinder, but am not sure about the suitability for heavy stock removal, though they work very well for sharpening.

-Cliff

I used a 4 1/2" angle grinder yesterday for about 1/2 hour on the primary grind of the Hults seeing how difficult it would be to sweep out the side hollows. Conclusion, you are looking at hours of work to produce a visual difference. There is simply too much steel to be removed, and it is hardened spring steel, not easy to grind. I should however be able to thin back the edge a little more than it is now, bring it down very close to optimal by the weekend.

-Cliff

I have finished working on the head of the Hults as the last few grinding sessions (1/2 hour each) produced no significant difference in cutting ability. I have polished it with a sanding disk (40 grit ZO), which removed all the little hollows from the grinding wheel. Here is the wood cut so far :

http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/images/wood_front.jpg

The pile in the above is missing four truckloads which were removed earlier to give me something to saw in the evenings. Most of the wood is small (6" and under), however there are some decent sticks 10"-14".

I'll take some shots of the head as it is now shortly, and have some of the NIB profile.

-Cliff

Thanks for reminding me that the first part of my holiday will be bringing in a winter's supply of wood! That's some cutting with an axe - the pictures always make the pile look small!

I had some shots with the axe in there for reference, it was very tiny in comparison. It is a decent supply of wood. The actual felling is only about 1/4 of the time. This is not in an area that is easy to get to so that wood was carried 150-200 yards from where it was cut. I can take the axe and cut for about an hour and spend the rest of the day limbing it out and stacking it up. I usually do a half an hours felling in the morning, and another in the afternoon.

Of course I am using blades for limbing and not being nearly as efficient as I could be as I am working with different profiles and such looking at the difference in cutting and handling ability. As well I am usually taking care to grade the work, moving from nice and soft pine branches that are well spaced apart all the way up to dead hardwoods all clumped together. This allows me to judge where a blade fails decently accurately.

When I take a knife which I know well, and just work the wood in order of which it stands, I can clear up the wood many times faster. Of course, that is not as enjoyable as working with new blades, experimenting with new profiles, swing techniques etc. . I also do things that are very inefficient like limb with that axe one handed until I can't do it any more, which isn't long. Or try felling with various blades instead of the axe etc. .

-Cliff

If I had him here, the cliff trail would have been finished long ago, and Cliff would know what a real tree looks like. Life just isn't fair...

Back