50 ton power hammer too much?

I found a company that used to blacksmith a lot of stuff and they have a real old 50 ton power hammer, guy said it shook the building when it hit but it could also hit fairly soft for a 50 ton. I have no idea what fairly soft is when one is talking 50 ton potential and the guy did not remember exactly how soft it could hit, he just said fairly. It is no longer hooked to power so I could not check it out but the price is right I think. It is going to be a while until I do have all the money just getting back to work this coming 2 weeks but they said they would keep it for me. I did not have my camera with me but it looks a lot like this one, just much much bigger. I am 5'11" and it has a good couple of feet on me.
post-522-126628127525.jpg

So is 50 tons just too much? Even if it is I probably still take it just because its cool. Just wondering for knife making.

Do you mean 50lb? That looks like a 50lb Little Giant to me...

-d

No I mean 50 ton, that is a picture of a 50lb but the one I am talking about is a 50 ton. It looks almost just like the 50lb just 5x bigger. I explained that in the op.

Just to give you an idea of how huge this thing is the fly wheel is a few feet in diameter and close to a foot thick. The motor for it is bigger than my cars engine. The dies are the size of a car battery. It is mammoth and it says 50 ton right on the fly wheel.

Last edited:
I guess it is actually considered a trip hammer not a power hammer but the one I am looking at is powered. Learn something everyday. Here is the closest thing I can find to it. Fly wheel is bigger on the one near me is one major difference.
87050-100171.jpg

I say buy it....

You can always keep it and advertise it for sale to someone who needs that size and use the difference to add some other toys to your collection.

i work on a 50 tonne power hammer at least 3 days a week and you will be VERY surprised at how gently you can hit with it with enough practice....

That is good to know and I will try and get back out there soon for some pics, just not sure when I will get there.

50 ton is a big hammer...... Im used to big hammers working in industry, but Ive never seen one bigger than 25 tons ram weight...

If it says '50 tons' you 100% sure its not a punch press ?

Look forward to seeing the pics

I think someone has got their sizes and numbers mixed up. I would venture to guess that it may be a 500 pound hammer, which is big. A 50 ton - 100,000 pounds - is a factory size hammer that needs a power supply that you could never afford. If it is 8 feet tall, there isn't enough mass to add up to more than a ton or two total. A quick calculation says that a cylinder of steel 3' by 9' is a ton and a half. Another head calculation says the scrap steel value would be about $20,000.

Yea I am in agreement with Stacy, I strongly doubt this is a 50ton hammer. That would mean your hammer weighs in over 100,000lb. Because just the TUP is 50 ton therefore the hammer weighs more than that in total.
Very seriously doubt you are looking at a 50 ton hammer!
You might need to check your facts.
Chris

Your first photo is a new 100 lb little Giant. I've run that hammer :)

I really don't think you're lookin at a 50 ton trip hammer...

Could it be a 50-ton punch press? From the description it sounds as if its possible.

-d

My Beaudry is the corner stone of all the experiments we have done.
Forging on our steel starts out on a 100 ton in a steel mill back east.
The greater the degree of reduction by forging you can do at the right temperature with the right methods the more freedom you have to develop your steel. I do not believe there is any such thing as too much reduction by forging when done right.

My advice - get it, you won't be sorry.

I would love to see photos of your find.

The place where this hammer is at is an industrial plant that was born in 1885. And yes I am sure this is a hammer not a press or punch. The area I live in is nice because everything is old and its one of the largest historical districts in the nation. Thinking about it, it might be the biggest, not sure. There are a few shops in town that have 1 of 1 machines and I would not be surprised if this is a 1 of 1. This is the 2nd 50 ton I have seen, there is a blacksmith in town that has one, his is the reason I started looking for one because after seeing his pancake steel I just thought I want one. And the value of this is a lot, and what I am going to pay would make most people cringe, but it is still a good deal for what I am getting. Price is not final yet but it is 5 digits so far...

You said it has a flywheel, so you're talking about a mechanical hammer right? Not air or steam driven? I'm reasonably sure no mechanical hammer over 1000 lbs was ever built. Most hammers (98%) over 500 lbs were air or steam, or water driven in the very early days.

Just for curiosity, look into the size foundation a 50 ton will need. My two 100 lb LGs took 1.5 cubic yard a concrete each.

Back to your original question, no it's not too much hammer, but is way more than you need :) You can buy and have shipped a new or like new 100 lb+ hammer for less money.

Yes it is a mechanical. I thought about it also, the foundation is going to have be insane to withstand this hammer. And 50 ton ones do exists, just in very small numbers. They are almost impossible to find, the one in the pic I post last night took 2 hours to find looking on the net. The blacksmith in town said he got lucky to find his as I feel I am lucky to have found this one.

If anyone is interested in having their own 50 ton, here is the link to the trip hammer I posted a picture of last night. Well worth the $4000 they are asking for it. Needs work but still worth it, talk about having a piece in your shop that people are just amazed by.
http://www.equipmentresale.com/product.html?id=87050

Back