50UH (maybe)

rprocter

BANNED
another minor mystery. i just won what looks just like a 50UH. (v. low bid, knife not well described; a few of these from time to time adds extra fun). my search turned up little info on this model. o.k. here goes my ignorance: looks to be same size as an LB5 but with a drop point instead of a clip blade?
were these popular ? did they "compete" with the LB5 ? years of production ? looking forward to being more filled with "Schradees", roland

thanks Irv; i had read that thread, but when 50UHs were made or their relationship to an LB5 is not discussed. this is the first 50UH i have seen so i presume they are not as numerous as many other Schrade patterns. roland

Here is a re-post of a study I made of some Bruin patterns I had. This was posted in another forum, but I don't think I posted it here. Forgive me if it is a repeat.

I am intrigued by the Schrade Bruin pattern. I have six different model numbers of the Bruin in my collection; 5UH, 50UH, 55UH, 5OT, 5OTG (green) & 55OT. I have found them listed in various Schrade catalogs as 3-1/2 in., 3-3/4 in., & 4 in.
According to my calipers all of them measure 3-3/4in.

I also measured the top edge of each blade at the tang for thickness, using a micrometer. The difference is .0055 in. IMO, a difference of just 5.5 thousands is well within the tolerances explained by different batches of steel from different suppliers.
Remembering also, that these various models were made over a 17 year period, from 1987 through 2004 and the thickness of steel available may also have varied.
5UH -.089"
50UH- .092"
55UH- .0875"
5OT- .093"
5OTG- .093" - Schrade+ stainless
5OTG- .092" - carbon steel
55OT- .089"

The differences as I see them are:
5UH & 50UH: Both are lockbacks. The only appreciable difference is the tang stamp. Both have nickel silver bolsters.

55UH: Like the 5UH & 55UH except it is a brass liner lock as opposed to a lock back. It also has a brass lined lanyard hole. It has nickel silver bolsters.
All the Uncle Henry variants are hollow ground & have Staglon handles with nickel silver UNCLE HENRY shield.

5OT; Lockback like the 5UH, 50UH & 5OTG. Has nickel silver bolsters, brown saw cut handles & nickel silver OLD TIMER shield. Blade is flat ground. The 50UH & 5OT (in stainless steel) seem to have deeper cut nail nicks than the other knives, but this could possibly be explained by an adjustment of the machine that cut the nail nicks.

5OTG; Lockback like the 5OT, but with green saw cut Delrin handles, brass bolsters & brass OLD TIMER shield. The blade is flat ground, both the stainless steel & carbon steel version as well. I have at least one in my collection that is made from carbon steel. This is the only version that I personally have an example of that is made in carbon steel, though I would imagine that some of the earlier 5OT’s were likely made of carbon steel.

55OT: This pattern is called the Bruin Ext in the 2002 & 2003 catalogs. It is also known as the Blade Lifter. It has green saw cut Delrin handles, brass bolsters & brass OLD TIMER shield. It has a brass liner lock like the 55UH as well as the brass lined lanyard hole. The mark side has a brass thumb stud for opening & no nail nick. There is also a small circular notch cut in the mark side Delrin handle to accommodate the thumb stud.
The blade is flat ground only on the back side, with a final sharpening on both sides.

An interesting note about the 55UH is that a Swinden Key holds the blade in the front bolster. I assume the 55OT also employs this system, though I didn’t have one handy that I wanted to cut apart. All the other variations of the Bruin have a plainly visible pivot pin.

The dates of production, as per Schrade catalogs are:
5UH- 2003-2004
50UH- Unknown, does not appear in any Schrade catalogs.
55UH- Not in Schrade catalogs, but was a 2002 special edition for Wal-Mart- (See Robert Clemente, A Catalog History of Schrade Knives, pg 14)
5OT- 1987-1998
5OTG- 1991-2003
55OT- 2002-2003

http://

Top to bottom in the scan are:
5UH
50UH
55UH
5OT
5OTG (Schrade+ steel)
5OTG (carbon steel)
55OT

I hope someone finds this study in a pattern interesting.

Dale

Additionally, this is a nice pattern that feels good in the hand, with some heft, but not to big to slide in your pocket either. I have a 55 that I like to pull out when I'm eating a good steak. Handsome enough for any restaurant.

thanks Dale; it's very helpful to get all that information. i like (need) to know a pattern's variations and "relatives" as well as an approximate time sequence.
the seller has not yet responded to my inquiry re tang stampings, so i won't know for sure what it is (5UH or 50UH i think) until it arrives. i'll post pics. roland

There were quite a few variants. In 1988 they made a SFO HG58 for Harley Davidson with UH covers, coined HD shield, and 5OT tang stamp. And then there was the International Hunter Education Association knife, IHEA5 for Dicks, Gaylans and Wal-Mart. That was in '03. I can't get to mine right now, but I believe it had a 5UH stamp.

Michael

Back