52100 examination

52100 is a low alloy high carbon steel often used in the production of ball bearings, but makes for a very good blade steel. The basic composition consists of...
Carbon: 1.05%
Manganese: 0.30%
Chromium: 1.5%
Silicon: 0.30%

When heat treating this steel, the chromium content must be taken into consideration, as 52100 is all about the carbides. It has been said before here on BladeForums, but just for the sake of this thread and clarification, there are no chromium carbides in 52100. Rather, the cementite carbide is "enriched" by the chromium. In order for there to be chromium carbides, the chromium content needs to be higher than just 1.5%. There probably has been more talk about 52100 heat treating than any other knife steel because of that chromium content, and how it changes the heat treat protocol.

Larrin Thomas has done a lot of magnificent work in collating data on different steels, their history and use, their heat treatment, knife edge stability, and various other subjects related to our field. Recently he discussed 52100 and got me to thinking more about the "best" way to go about heat treating this steel. One of the images included with his post, which can be found here on BladeForums and also on his website: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/01/28/history-and-properties-of-52100-steel/ shows how the chromium addition to a steel requires higher hardening temperatures than simple 1% carbon steels like 1095, O1, or W2. And it makes sense just by looking at the recommended austenitizing (hardening) temperature of A2 tool steel (1750°F), which is also a ~1% carbon steel, but has a full 5% chromium. And the more chromium in the mix, the higher the austentizing temperature needs to be. Many stainless steels (~13% chromium) are hardened at 1950°F and higher.

So what temperature should we recommend for austenitizing 52100? The answer is not so simple, and depends on a few factors, and we need to consider the source of our steel and more importantly, what condition it is in prior to hardening. Is it coarse spheroidite, or fine spheroidite, or fine pearlite, or even martensite (previously quenched)? It also can depend on the steel itself, not just it's microstructure going into hardening. The advice that has been given here in the past by various makers is very true, not all 52100 is the same and not all 52100 from the same supplier is the same. The "best" thing to do is buy a LOT of one particular batch of steel and learn it's quirks. Ideally a lifetime's supply! And even better yet, if you can buy steel that has it's certifications included with it, even better. If there are ever any issues or problems, with the steel's certifications you have a record telling you who/what/when/where.

The two main sources for 52100 in annealed bar stock form that I know of are Aldo Bruno (the New Jersey Steel Baron) and Chuck (Alpha Knife Supply). I think the folks over at Midwest Knife Maker's Supply (USA Knifemaker) also carry 52100, but I think they source it from either Aldo or Chuck (if anyone has different or further info, feel free to comment). Aldo's 52100 is notorious for being heavily spheroidized (coarse spheroidized) from the mill he receives it from. This makes the steel butter soft and nice for grinding, drilling, machining, filing, but requires extra steps to get it to harden properly. Namely, a normalizing heat of 1650°F-1700°F, and subsequent thermal cycling, then to austenitizing/quenching. Chuck has said that his 52100 comes in a fine spheroidized state, and thus does not need to be normalized or cycled prior to hardening, and can simply be hardened as received.

Back to austenitizing temperature for 52100. With basic 1% carbon steels like 1095, W2, O1, the optimum temperature is ~1475°F with a short soak of 5-10 minutes (O1 is probably best with a slightly longer soak, due to it's alloying). Using this temperature will result in putting just enough of the available carbon into solution to attain the maximum hardness post quench, but also keeps retained austenite low, and a better balance of lathe vs plate martensite. Going below this temperature will result in lower than expected hardness. Going above this temperature also reduces hardness because the retained austenite % is higher, and results in more brittle plate martensite vs the tougher lathe martensite. 1475°F is a ballpark temperature for these steels, and should be adjusted accordingly to your equipment, the actual steel chemistry, etc.

But 52100 has that 1.5% chromium content, and thus should be hardened at a higher temperature than 1475°F in order to bring that necessary carbon in solution. So why, in the past, have we seen recommended hardening temps of 1475°F for 52100, and not 1525°F-1550°F? This was because of the condition the steel was in (microstructure of coarse spheroidite) and more importantly the condition the steel was in after our normalizing and thermal cycling (fine pearlite). Once the steel was normalized, cycled, hardened, quenched, the final HRC was 66-67, an excellent post quench hardness. The only way to attain that hardness with 1475°F (plus the recommended 10 minute soak) was because we had changed the microstructure from spheroidite to pearlite, which allows carbon to come into solution easier/quicker. If, after normalizing and cycling, we still used the recommended 1550°F temperature, testing has shown that the post quench hardness is actually lower, the retained austenite % is higher, and there is more plate martensite vs the preferred lathe martensite.

Now onto Chuck's 52100, which is said to be fine spheroidite and ready to harden. I have previously publicly stated that the hardening temperature for his steel should also be 1475°F, but after using it more (especially this past week), and thinking about what Larrin mentioned in his 52100 discussion, I think there are 2 ways to approach Chuck's 52100. First, you can go straight to austenitizng/quenching, but I would use 1525°F-1550°F. The spheroidite takes a higher temperature to get the necessary carbon in solution for max hardness. Just this week I did a heat treat on 4 thin paring knives using 1475°F and an extended soak, but the post quench hardness was not as high as I think it could be. Without a hardness tester, my educated guess with files of known hardness was ~63-64HRC. Not bad, but not optimum. Using the higher temperature Larrin mentioned (1525°F-1550°F), I strongly believe (and will be further testing) it will bump that HRC to where it should be. Now the 2nd approach, treat Chuck's 52100 just like you would Aldo's 52100 by normalizing and thermal cycling a few times in order to change it from spheroidite to fine pearlite. Then you can use the lower hardening temperature of 1475°F and attain that maximum post quench hardness. There is some debate (I think) over that last sentence, that it doesn't matter what condition the 52100 is in prior to hardening, that it will not achieve maximum post quench hardness using 1475°F.

I apologize for the long thread, and I hope that makes sense. I had always been a strong advocate for using the lower hardening temperature for 52100, but like I said, Larrin got me to thinking. I emailed Kevin Cashen to ask him what his thoughts were on this subject, and got an immediate reply. I want to stress something that Kevin mentions below, THIS IS NOT going to become a LARRIN vs KEVIN thread. That is not my intention at all, rather the simple pursuit of knowledge and perfection of our craft. Please keep that in mind, as I know you will. The guys who regularly contribute to heat treating threads like this are excellent, well respected gentlemen, and I know will receive this in the spirit it is intended. I am not a metallurgist by any means, and am always willing to amend my beliefs on certain topics after gaining that wider picture. The email exchange between myself and Kevin Cashen:

Kevin,
(after some small talk...)
Larrin mentioned that he believes 52100 needs a higher austenitizing temp than 1475F due to the chromium shifting the critical temp upwards, and that 1475F is not hot enough to get the necessary carbon in solution for max hardness. I asked if it mattered if the blade was fine spheroidized or pearlite (or even martensite from a prior quench), he replied that it didn't matter what the steel condition was, that the bottom line was 52100, due to it's chromium, needed the 1525F hardening temp. I notice that a lot of other low alloy carbon and tool steels that have a chromium count, like O7, 8670, 5160, 80CrV2, 1.2562 etc have recommended hardening temps of ~1525F, but these come in a fine spheroidized state. I seem to recall an episode where Bob Kramer was making a kitchen knife out of 52100, and used 1475F salt baths to harden his blade. I sincerely appreciate any advice you can give about this subject of the best hardening temp to use for 52100, and if the hardening temp can be applied to both a pearlitic structure and also a fine spheroidized structure. Thanks so much for your time, Kevin, as I know you're a very busy guy these days. I am REALLY looking forward to the 52100 DVD coming out! Take care!

Stuart,
As received from most sources 52100 will probably not achieve full hardness at 1475°F, this is due to the stability of the spheroidal carbides. But I cater mostly to bladesmiths who, if they do things correctly, will be wiping out all of the effects given to them by the supplier. In a very fine spheroidal, and certainly in a fine pearlitic, I find the optimum temp to be 1475°F. I am well aware of the industrial specs and procedures and the metallurgical literature, or at least I would hope people are aware that I am. But we do things with these steels that make changes, and my testing includes both approaches. There are bladesmiths who don’t deal much with the material science and there are material scientists who don’t deal much with the unorthodoxy of bladesmiths, I like to believe that I have been able to bridge this gap with my approach. The quirky twist is that while I agree that 1475°F is not enough for mill spheroidized material, these days neither is the recommended 1550°F. Many stocks in the as-shipped condition would need much greater temps to top out the HRC. Each batch of 52100 could very well have its own rules to work by, and I have scrapped a couple of test runs due to unpredictable chemistries in my latest research. Please feel free to share my insights about fine carbide conditions vs. mill spheroidization, to help clarify my position, but please be careful not to make this into a me vs. some other guy on the issue. Larrin is correct on the as shipped condition (except that I have found many supplies need even more heat).

end of email

And in conclusion I would like to point out a comment Kevin mentioned twice about certain supplies of steel needing even more heat. Topic for another thread, but it has been mentioned here on Bladeforums before, and I don't want to get into that can of worms here and now. Thank you for taking the time to read the post and please comment on your experience especially. All thoughts are genuinely welcome!

To help this discussion along, I sent samples heat treated at 1475f (AKS stock) with tempers at 300f, 350f, 400f, and 450f. I did one sample of the same stock at 1550f, cryo, and 400f temper. This was before Larrin’s article came out. Chuck is grinding them this weekend as far as I can tell. I did a single sample tested along with with DevinT’s samples, using Aldo’s steel, and the Cashen protocol. 1475f, and 300f temper, for Rc62. That sample had lower toughness than the sample DevinT did with 1525f, but at Rc62.

My question is: is the lower toughness because of the aust temp, or because of the different steel? To help answer this, I bought a stick of 52100 from Chuck to try at 1500, 1525 and 1550f, to compare. (1475f is done already.)

I don’t have any more 52100 from Aldo, so I can’t try 1500, 1525 or 1550f to compare. I’d anyone wants to donate enough to do four to six samples, I’d appreciate it. Aldo won’t sell to Canada, so I can’t order it. I’d prefer to heat treat here, to remove variables such as oven calibration, or differences between parks and DT-48. I’ll even pay the shipping.

I will do fast and medium oil to compare as well.

Last edited:
I'll add what I have seen so far. I just began working with 52100 for the first time and this is what I saw with my first experiments.
This was Chucks .18" stock:
1650, air cool
1500, air cool
1400, air cool
1475, 15 min, quench in P50.
This resulted in Rc62.

I then redid the Aus at 1525 for 15 min., quench in P50
This resulted in Rc65-66.

In my case the thermal cycle did not get the steel where it needed to be for the 1475 temp.

samuraistuart samuraistuart - thanks for this thread.

Willie71 Willie71 - pm me your address, I will send you 3x 7.5" of Aldo's 52100 (bought it 2-3 years ago) .130" thick, 1" wide - enough for 18 charpy samples.

** My 52100 results. Keep in mind, my ht is unconventional, hence might not relevant to your ht. However keep mind open that it's possible to produce high hardness at lower aust temperature.

Evenhead KO 18, Grizzly Hardness Tester, Aldo & AKS 52100

normalized 1650++F ++ mean 0-200F range. Plus some grain manipulation when no thermal cycle

0-3 thermal cycle [1550, 1500, 1450] grain manipulation on last cycle to prepare for hardening

15 minutes Soak; cryo : peak hardness. to be clear, in my ht 'peak' does not equal to std ht as-quenched.

1425F : 65 rc
1450F : 66.5-67 rc
1475F : 66.5-67.5 rc
1500-1525F: 66-67 rc *wiped out my grain manipulation prior to hardening. 'manipulation' is not the same as refinement via thermal cycling.

Great post Stuart! As a result of Larrin's article on 52100 and recent testing on W2 I have been doing some testing on the 52100 I have from Aldo. I tested 7 coupons.
The all got a variation of normalization/thermal cycle described by Larrin.
I used 1700 X 20 min, 1500 X 30 min, 1460 X 30 min to condition all the coupons.
Then did Aus at:
1475 -> P50
1500 -> P50
1525 -> P50
1540 -> med oil
1475 -> med oil
1500 -> med oil
1525 -> med oil

RC results summary:
Worst was all the P50 quench samples.
Best was 1525 -> med oil at RC66-67 This sample was very difficult to break and the grain was very fine.

Great post Stuart! As a result of Larrin's article on 52100 and recent testing on W2 I have been doing some testing on the 52100 I have from Aldo. I tested 7 coupons.
I used 1700 X 20 min, 1500 X 30 min, 1460 X 30 min to condition all the coupons.
Then did Aus at:
1475 -> P50
1500 -> P50
1525 -> P50
1540 -> med oil
1475 -> med oil
1500 -> med oil
1525 -> med oil

RC results summary:
Best was 1525 -> med oil at RC66-67 This sample was very difficult to break and the grain was very fine.
If you don’t mind me asking which medium speed oil? I’ve been using McMaster Carr 9-11 second oil for 52100

Then did Aus at:
1475 -> P50
1500 -> P50
1525 -> P50
1540 -> med oil
1475 -> med oil
1500 -> med oil
1525 -> med oil

RC results summary:
I did this same experiment about a year ago but added a 2 hour 1250°F cycle after thermals prior to hardening.
Best results were 1525 into p50 and McMaster11 and 1540 into mcmaster11 with all samples testing 63-64Hrc with a 340° temper
-Trey

Kevin mentioned the term bladesmith more than once. I believe he is referring to guys that forge out said 52100. Could there be a difference in how it should be heat treated since its getting up to such high temps?

Luong May have unorthodox ideas regarding steel heat treatment, but he always acted as the gentleman he most probably is, to me.
Well said, I remember back when I knew nothing and asked for help making a nakiri out of 52100 with rudimentary gear. He really went the extra mile to help me out.

I'll always be grateful for that.

So I happened to get a piece of NJSB 52100 in .125 thickness. Since my previous testing was with Aplha steel, I was interested to see if I could get results from the 1475 aus temp that I couldn't get with Alpha's steel.
I did the thermal cycles of 1650, 1500, 1400.
Aus @ 1475 10 min soak quench in P50.
Resulted in rc 64-65
Aus @ 1525 10 min soak quench in P50.
Resulted in rc 65.
I also tried a piece without the thermal cycle. Aus 1525, 10 min soak quench in parks 50.
Resulted in rc 64.
The last one surprised me the most but I guess not all steel from NJSB is as coarsely spheroidized as others.

I meant to post this a while back but forgot. There is another source of 52100 in our little community. Ray Kirk sells round bar in several sizes and he has at least two formulations. His big `1.75 inch bars have like .93% carbon but the .531 inch round that he sourced in Dahlonega, Georgia and uses for his little Traii of Tears blades has a carbon content of 1.01%.

Back