52100 for folders

I currently have a double lockback Moose on the way from P.J. Tomes. This knife is in Sandvik 12C27, I am considering getting one of his knives or Bailey Bradshaw in 52100, just easy is it to keep this steel relatively stain free while being carried in the pocket?

Anthony, 52100 being a non SS can rust, easily, given the right circumstances.
I guess a lot would depend on the person. Some have more corrosive perspiration than others. Also, what preventative care was given to the knife would figure in.
I have an old Al Mar Falcon, that I have carried since 1979.
I used to live in southern California, and wore it in swimming at the beach until 1988, when we moved to AZ. There has been no rust at all.
I always lubed the pivot with mineral oil, and gave a light coat to the rest of the metal with same. Of course being stain resistant helped, but salt water, and being carried in the pocket of wet trunks all day, maybe it is not a big problem.
Personally, I like 52100 and think it would make a great pocket knife. Sorry I could not be of more help. :confused:

I can't see it being a problem. Every one of the pocketknives I own has carbon steel blades and none of them have ever had a problem with rusting.

My ideal pocket knife would have a 3 1/8" "forged 52100" Wharncliffe blade, lockback and a thumbstud. Probably Sheephorn scales.
Greg

"Tactical Knives" did a review on 52100 as a cutlery steel and the results were not good. This "ball bearing" steel was designed to run submerged in lubrication and outside that environment is very prone to oxidation and subsequent degradation in strength. I see it as a liability for knifemakers as rust is a major complaint for the knives made with this steel in gladstone, Mi.
Now if I could only find that article.
mac:(

Mac,

Now you've gone and done it!

Better get out that flame retardant suit!!! ;)

Blues,
Thanks for the heads up. I was only trying to relay my personal experiences and the many complaints I received locally and elsewhere from those that aren't prepared to give 52100 blades the attention they demand.
Flame suit on and escape pod readied:D
mac

Back