52100 Question

Thinner behind the edge is always good. I thin all of my blades also.
u7iWqaY.jpg

One slicey Boi!

Nice, I equate a thinner grind to taking the "training wheels" off the blade.

Very enjoyable to use and sharpen.

Last edited:
Cold Steel uses 52100 for all their Drop Forged line of integral , one piece , fixed blades . Inexpensive and very tough but not a bit stainless under that poor coating .

They make several different models and are cheap enough to try out to see if you like the steel .

High toughness is most important in big , long blades for chopping or other hard impact use . Not my choice for a small folder , normally , because stainless is more important to me in that case . YMMV !

My Drop Forged Bowie in 52100 : :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Not really a fan of the PM2, but I'm a huge fan of 52100.

Easy to sharpen, takes a fantastic edge, and takes a beautiful patina over time.

Also a fan of carbon fiber. I enjoy the look, the feel, the strength to weight ratio... good stuff.

Were I to get a PM2 or get one for a friend or family member, I'd get this version. Sure it's more expensive, but the materials are top shelf and Spyderco certainly knows how to put out a fantastic product. And hey, it's a limited edition so you'll be in rare company.

52100 is a high purity ball bearing steel with low Chrome content. It is not stainless. BG-42 is a high purity ball bearing steel with a high Chrome content. It is stainless. If I had to pick between the 2, I would opt for stainless.
I also like Vanadium in my blades for wear rersistance. I would pick CPM 10-V (non stainless) over 52100 and CPM 20-CV (stainless) over BG-42.

Back