52100???

i was wondering if 52100 is as easy to work with as 10 series. i have only a magnet and my eye to determine proper temps. until someday i build salt rigs with pyrometers i will continue to do only simple steels. so i was wondering if i can work this stuff the way i'm used to. also, can any of you recomend a link or an easy to follow book on alloy, s curves and specs on different steels. kyle stanley

No! If your talking forging by hand its alot stiffer and it requiers alot of attention prior to heat treat. I'm not saying don't try it but there's night and day differences between the 2 types.

i have a power hammer finaly. my main concern is the temperatures for heat treat ect.

52100 heat treated with a magnet for a guide. You bet, that magnet won't lie, just be sure to bring your blade up to critical(nonmagnetic) evenly and pay real close attention to that magnet. I know of at least 2 mastersmiths that rely on magnets and I'll bet there's more if we really knew. Thats all I use and I am very impressed with my test results.

Bill

Back