551 Griptilian Question

Modoc ED

Gold Member
I just got this 551 Large Griptilian in this afternoon. I bought it as used but it appears to be brand new - not a mark on it. The blade is 154CM. Further all of the screw heads are silver except for the clip screws which are black. Usually they are all black. The knife came in an old style box and I have a question about the box end label which is a small label - not a large label as used now a days.

It reads; C551 - 154CM CUSTOM GRIP

Could CUSTOM GRIP mean that it came from the Custom Shop?

The blade designation 154CM is above the Mel Pardue logo on the pile side of the blade.

0EQF4w8.jpg

UTaqxuz.jpg

DFrN5kw.jpg

G5ol97h.jpg

Last edited:
My observations...
1st - Every Grip I have has black body & clip screws.
2nd - I only have 1 custom shop Grip and the blade's steel marking is in tiny lettering behind the thumb stud, not above the Mel Pardue logo.
3rd - I can't think of anything "custom" about a 154CM, Noryl-scaled Grip. That's an "off-the-rack" standard configuration.
4th - I didn't get a box with my custom M4 Grip (it came to me used), but I've seen a couple of custom shop boxes in pics and I don't recall the labeling looking like yours.

The original Griptilians had 440 blades, so this might be an early custom grip with an upgrade to 154CM steel and satin screws. It does have the old style box.

I’m only guessing here, because I don’t know when they started offering custom knives.

The original Griptilians had 440 blades, so this might be an early custom grip with an upgrade to 154CM steel and satin screws. It does have the old style box.

I’m only guessing here, because I don’t know when they started offering custom knives.

That's what I was thinking. An early Griptilian sent in to the Benchmade Custom Shop for a blade swap out from 440 to 154CM and satin screws as you said.

Thanks to all for your input. Regardless, it's a perfect knife in every way - not a mark on it. It was sharp out of the box but I did touch it up a bit.

Back