5OT - sambar stag in sheath - now squeaky clean

Just finished cleaning up this 5OT I got a while back. It came in the sheath pictured.

It was very dirty and I gave it a 18 hour mineral oil soak before cleaning it with soapy water inside and out. I wet-sanded the bolsters and liners of the knife to 10000 grit, purged the water with WD40 and then used Flitz to finish. All the brass got Brasso on a swab.

Here are some before-and-after pics. This one might get used but it looks pretty happy on display.

The pocket on this sheath is bigger than than the sheaths LB5s (and maybe 5Ots) are typically found in. Until now I assumed 3-3/4" LB5s and 5OTs got stuffed into the same sheaths. It seems this was not always the case. Last pics are a sheath comparison showing a typical LB5 sheath beside this 5OT's sheath.

I never would have picked up the size difference if I didn't have the two sheaths side-by-side. The fatter stag handles do create a thicker knife than with the standard delrin slabs.

DPiUc67.jpg

xDNnG1p.jpg

ja6nnVm.jpg

w9N2Ai9.jpg

QDENocC.jpg

4vw4eHp.jpg

7abEryM.jpg

NBS54IS.jpg

INRFnEW.jpg

dV6ndVc.jpg

uum4o05.jpg

Very nice! I wouldn't read a lot into the sheath differences. Perhaps different vendors over the production period. And unless it comes in a verifiable NIB complete, sheaths might be replacements. Nice stag on that one. Thanks for sharing!

Back