• CPM-154 with Cerakote

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • S35VN

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • S35VN with Cerakote

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To be honest, it would be a flip of the coin whether D2 or s35vn would be my 3rd vs 4th choice...I would much prefer either 5160 or CPM154 from the choices listed.
Since I'm already on the wrong side of the polls (I went with the 105 Pathfinder in the startup), it doesn't make sense to compromise just to stay in the game - i changed my vote. Tentatively still interested, though.

It's interesting seeing these polls work. Voting in a product. This one is turning out a camp / Bushcraft type of knife that we haven't seen from Buck since the Ron hood series. I would imagine SK and Buck will see some customers purchase their first Buck due to this, at least I hope they do. I'm also hoping we see a new model offered and stay in the line up.
Uncoated blade got my vote,

I'm still going back and forth. As much as I really like S35VN, for me it's out of the picture because of the $$$$. And I'm leaning towards an uncoated blade which kinda rules out 5160 in my book, although not completely. So between D2 (with which I have no experience) and CPM 154, it's getting down to toughness and edge retention.
Along those lines, anyone have any thoughts? Not interested in being on the "winning side", but looking for info. before I cast my vote.
Thanks in advance,
OG

CPM 154, bare metal. Depending on the remaining choices - I want a flat grind - I can get pumped on this deal and will buy one unless you guys make it a sissy knife.

Almost seventy votes in, and I notice that less than 10% seems to actually like cerakote.

I understand why Buck uses cerakote on the 5160, but I still hope they're taking notes on this.

Coating has its place and to the general public coated blades might give a sense of protection to the blade or cool factor that is marketable so the results here only tell what a fraction of the knife buying community wants and even still it is what they want on an special run of this knife.

I voted D2 as I think it supports that blade size the best, but 5160 would be a quick follow-up if we decide on a flat grind/highsaber which opens the knife up to a little more abusive task, IMO. I have plenty of those types of knives so D2 makes it a little better and a little different from what I already have so D2 for the win. I like it more than the stainless offerings as it's still somewhat of a "traditional" blade steel... and I'm a sucker for the value D2 offers as a blade steel.

I voted D2 as I think it supports that blade size the best, but 5160 would be a quick follow-up if we decide on a flat grind/highsaber which opens the knife up to a little more abusive task, IMO. I have plenty of those types of knives so D2 makes it a little better and a little different from what I already have so D2 for the win. I like it more than the stainless offerings as it's still somewhat of a "traditional" blade steel... and I'm a sucker for the value D2 offers as a blade steel.
Me too, I like the old school approach with D2 as a tool steel and the maintenance needed to keep it fresh. All part of ownership.

I wish we could prevent a purchase to an individual so they dont start to complain just to complain.

I'm still going back and forth. As much as I really like S35VN, for me it's out of the picture because of the $$$$. And I'm leaning towards an uncoated blade which kinda rules out 5160 in my book, although not completely. So between D2 (with which I have no experience) and CPM 154, it's getting down to toughness and edge retention.
Along those lines, anyone have any thoughts? Not interested in being on the "winning side", but looking for info. before I cast my vote.
Thanks in advance,
OG

From my experience, keeping in mind a lot is based on heat treat, D2 wins the edge retention but CPM 154 wins the toughness. I've read a lot about D2 being chippy but I've beat on a few of them and never had an issue, especially and only ontario TAK 1. Supposedly, D2 likes a special temper of some kind and then the toughness is quite good (Jay Fisher has a good write up on his take of D2).

Most of my experience is with benchmade's CPM 154 and they do a decent job with it but I haven't been exceptionally impressed with the edge retention. It's not bad, but it's not great. And as it's basically a modern take of 440C (some differences in chemistry of course) which is a pretty sturdy stainless if you use it like a knife, even a camp knife.

CPM 154, bare metal. Depending on the remaining choices - I want a flat grind - I can get pumped on this deal and will buy one unless you guys make it a sissy knife.

What's a sissy knife? Or what do you consider a sissy knife? Based on the basic design of the knife already, it pretty much can't be whimpy/weak/fragile, if that's what you're getting at.

It's a 4.5" drop point and it's .16"/4mm thick blade. I think you would be hard pressed to break it, even with the current hollow-grind, though hollow-grinds do make a tip weaker at the benefit of cutting prowess. Basically, don't pry with just the tip too much and I think you should be fine, get it spine deep if you really need separate two things (common in making kindling, for me at least).

It's one of Buck's more robust designs so suggesting we, or whomever "you guys" are, could make it a sissy (assuming whimpy/weak/fragile) knife, is quite strange.

If ease of sharpening is important for a camp knife, D2 might not be the right choice.

This is my thinking as well.

I like both 420HC (or 12C27) or 1095 for my camp knives. Ease of sharpening and toughness are what I want more than anything while camping.

My vote goes to 5160 since it's the closest to this.

It's interesting seeing these polls work. Voting in a product. This one is turning out a camp / Bushcraft type of knife that we haven't seen from Buck since the Ron hood series. I would imagine SK and Buck will see some customers purchase their first Buck due to this, at least I hope they do. I'm also hoping we see a new model offered and stay in the line up.
Uncoated blade got my vote,

Yes! Which is why the only (Buck) choices would seem to be 5160 or 420HC.

I think the D2 thinking is the right steel for an entirely different type of knife. For EDC or hunting, sure, D2 for the same reasons I like good 440C. But not for something I'm going to splitting out kindling and then maintaining with a small stone. No... I don't take bit sharpening gear camping with me.

We will try to match your current EDC

Spitfire%2BLadies.jpg

I was going to vote 5160 without looking at the results first.
Then I got to thinking (yeah, I know ... that can be dangerous) D2 would match the steel of my 112, so I voted for uncoated D2 (still without looking at the results first.)

After looking at the early results, I'm kinda surprised uncoated D2 is in the lead.

Last edited:
Back