5th Annual: Help Us Build a Buck: Fixed Blade (Giveaway)

Choose the fixed blade model.

• Buck 104 Compadre

Votes: 59 47.2%
  • Buck 105 Pathfinder

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Buck 119 Special

Votes: 23 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
good point, Sir. might be the only time we see a custom 104.

im still stuck between the two...if I knew the 105 full tang possibility was a no go itd be easier......

I'd be curious to hear more about your interest in a full tang 105.

I find I prefer hidden tangs on nearly all fixed blades in the 5" or less category. I generally find the handles on hidden tang blades more comfortable (and warmer in cold weather) and I don't need the strength of a full tang unless I plan on batoning with the knife.

I see the 105 as a meat processing knife and the 104 as a camp knife. I baton with my camp knives but I don't with my hunting/meat knives.

But, people's uses are different so I'm curious.

Oh..just had a day dream. I love the Mesa, probably should have included that in this poll. Flat Ground, D2, checkered orange and black Micarta handle with a horizontal sheath. I would carry the heck out of that thing.

I like the Mesa also. I prefer the blade shape, handle and heft of the compadre. Both are good fixed blades. Compete very well especially with a mild upgrade on the steel. I dont have any issues with 420, just prefer the tool steels.

Im not sure of all of the options we might see on blade grinds. Is flat grind, Saber Grind etc an option? I dont know what Buck is capable of doing with an existing product.

skblades skblades
Can you give a definitive answer as to whether the "full tang" 119 or 105 (ala 619/605) are options? I can see a lot of votes moving towards one of those two options if full-tang and handle slabs are an option.

I'm of the camp that "if it's not specifically included, then it's specifically excluded". Just seeking some clarification.

My interest in the 119 goes way up with the full tang + slabs. Otherwise I have zero interest in a 119.

On the other hand; how different is the 119 going to be from the 104 if it's the full tang + slabs?

That's it.... I'm voting 104! It's going to be an uphill climb to push my BOB out of my pack. 3/16" D2 with a convex grind just might do it!

Thanks

My interest in the 119 goes way up with the full tang + slabs. Otherwise I have zero interest in a 119.

On the other hand; how different is the 119 going to be from the 104 if it's the full tang + slabs?

That's it.... I'm voting 104! It's going to be an uphill climb to push my BOB out of my pack. 3/16" D2 with a convex grind just might do it!

Thanks

Thinking out loud with my Buck Reaper next to my keyboard...

We use a Reaper as a fire pit/camp knife quite often. The length makes splitting slightly bigger wood more possible than a 5" blade and that's a plus. But honestly, I find that a convexed saber grind knife splits kindling much better than the Reaper does. The Reaper is a better chopper for delimbing... well... better-ish. At 6", it's not really into chopper territory yet. Anyway, the difference in grinds is similar to the difference between a Estwing hatchet (better for de-limbing and roots but terrible for splitting) and a traditional appleseed convex ground hatchet (better for splitting but slightly less effective for de-limbing).

But one thing I hate about the Reaper is the horrible false edge on the tip. I wish it had a regular spine all the way to the tip like the Thug does. The Reaper chews up the baton stick very fast.

I find the 119 way too big for hunting (for my taste) and for use as a camp knife would find the clip point/false edge and grind to be less than optimal for batoning.

If my Reaper had a saber grind (that I could convex to my taste) and a full spine, I would be thrilled.

Thinking out loud with my Buck Reaper next to my keyboard...

We use a Reaper as a fire pit/camp knife quite often. The length makes splitting slightly bigger wood more possible than a 5" blade and that's a plus. But honestly, I find that a convexed saber grind knife splits kindling much better than the Reaper does. The Reaper is a better chopper for delimbing... well... better-ish. At 6", it's not really into chopper territory yet. Anyway, the difference in grinds is similar to the difference between a Estwing hatchet (better for de-limbing and roots but terrible for splitting) and a traditional appleseed convex ground hatchet (better for splitting but slightly less effective for de-limbing).

But one thing I hate about the Reaper is the horrible false edge on the tip. I wish it had a regular spine all the way to the tip like the Thug does. The Reaper chews up the baton stick very fast.

I find the 119 way too big for hunting (for my taste) and for use as a camp knife would find the clip point/false edge and grind to be less than optimal for batoning.

If my Reaper had a saber grind (that I could convex to my taste) and a full spine, I would be thrilled.
Great observations and thoughts. Thanks for info. :thumbsup:
OG

Another vote for an uncoated 104! Been wanting to try the compadre out for a while. S35/d2 with a flat/high saber grind would be great. Not sure on the handle but the uncoated Mesa looks great with the rosewood reaper handles..
I would also love an upgraded Mesa someday though.. :D

I voted the 105. I used to have one but gifted it to a friend many years ago. I still have yet to replace it, and this would be an awesome way to do it!

I'd be curious to hear more about your interest in a full tang 105.

I find I prefer hidden tangs on nearly all fixed blades in the 5" or less category. I generally find the handles on hidden tang blades more comfortable (and warmer in cold weather) and I don't need the strength of a full tang unless I plan on batoning with the knife.

I see the 105 as a meat processing knife and the 104 as a camp knife. I baton with my camp knives but I don't with my hunting/meat knives.

But, people's uses are different so I'm curious.
I live in the deep south. not very cold or for very long. not an issue here. it's not for strength as partial or hidden tangs can be very very strong. it's more for just being what it is. an 805 done but without the over stepped tang would be very appealing to me as a unique and useful blade.

this is gonna be a unique blade and not many full tangs as in full length and width in a 105 have been made. sure the 805, but what else? I like the plain 105 just fine. great knife. no real complaints, but many variations get made by dealers in that format so if we are getting something really unique maybe than this catches my eye. otherwise the 104 might win me over before poll ends.

skblades skblades
Can you give a definitive answer as to whether the "full tang" 119 or 105 (ala 619/605) are options? I can see a lot of votes moving towards one of those two options if full-tang and handle slabs are an option.

I'm of the camp that "if it's not specifically included, then it's specifically excluded". Just seeking some clarification.

Thanks
Yes, the definitive answer is that it won't be full tang with slabs. :thumbsup: I checked with Buck and it would take re-engineering.

changed vote to 104. love 105 but we have many many versions out there compared to the 104. buck saying no full tang 105 version, sealed it for me.

if the 105 wins or my 119 pulls from way way behind.....I wont be disappointed though.

Back