• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

670 Apparition

MJR

FINALLY!!! No. 0769/1000 I've been waiting sense they showed up in the catalog. It is a beauty! I love the file worked back spacer, a work of art. The bolster is more of a satin finish which looks great. Scales are also very nice, I just wish they were real bone. Fit and finish are typical, on par with Benchmade quality. Lockup is very solid with a very solid sounding clack and the Optimizer works great. Haven't tried to remove it yet but it looks easy. The backspacer extends down and around to the butt of the knife and their is a set screw in there to remove the Optimizer bar. It's a bit heavier then I would expect but not bad at all, it feels good!

Now this is a pocket knife! Great job (again) Benchmade!!! :cool:

Best of luck with the 670! :cool: I haven't handled one, but it looks great in the catalog. Looks like BM gives you the best of both worlds in terms of assisted-opening/manual opening. :)

MJR said:
FINALLY!!! No. 0769/1000 I've been waiting sense they showed up in the catalog. It is a beauty! I love the file worked back spacer, a work of art. The bolster is more of a satin finish which looks great. Scales are also very nice, I just wish they were real bone. Fit and finish are typical, on par with Benchmade quality. Lockup is very solid with a very solid sounding clack and the Optimizer works great. Haven't tried to remove it yet but it looks easy. The backspacer extends down and around to the butt of the knife and their is a set screw in there to remove the Optimizer bar. It's a bit heavier then I would expect but not bad at all, it feels good!

Now this is a pocket knife! Great job (again) Benchmade!!! :cool:
Glad to hear it--I've been waiting around for this one.

I just handled a 670 today and I was impressed although the faux kudu does look a little too synthetic. The fit and finish on the knife is fine. What concerns me is the Optimizer. It is nothing but a leaf spring like the ones in old school switchblades. I would not want a cop to see that. I know that the knife is assisted open, not an auto, but I could easily see someone having to prove that point in court if they were too frisky with the assisted opening feature. The one good thing is that it is removeable, because on its own, this is a very handsome larger gents knife. :D

I just handled a 670 today and I was impressed although the faux kudu does look a little too synthetic.

I agree. I think this knife is an outstanding concept and while I haven't handled it yet I am disappointed in the reports I have heard with the scale material. However this knife is nice enough to purchase anyway and perhaps send to a custom maker or production knife modifier to have another set of scales fitted.

I was looking forward to this one also. Maybe BM will do a run with other scales.

I have a coworker who also bought one and he said he might try to make some stag scales for his. If it works out I'll have him make one for me also.

I agree with MJR. Guess a bunch of us picked ours up yesterday (from the same location, I imagine :p ).

The knife feels solidly made; the edge will need a touch up to be genuinely sharp (like the majority of the Benchmades I've owned), but otherwise, the finish is very clean. The scales are the only "cheap" appearing part of the knife.

Anyone have a good link on or off the forum for working with micarta? I may take this as an opportunity to play amateur scale maker :D !

Cheers,
Neil

Back