6x48 sander

The insurance company is settling on the car and we're not soooo scared anymore.

So, now I'm looking to add some equipment. I'm saving for a good 2" grinder later. For now I've found the following for $200.

6x48 belt (and a selection of belts from 24-800 Silicon Carbide)
9" Disc sander
1hp
1720 RPM on the disc
1280 FPM on the belt

With flat grinding I THINK I can do a stock removal stainless knife on that.

Also I like the idea of adding a 6" leather belt for my sharpening work - nice big surface.

Does this sound workable?

Steve

are you? the 6x48" will work. others can chime in with there first hand knowledge. if you can bite the bullet come up with $400 and get the 2x72" coote. and find a used motor and some pulleys. you will be far a head in the long.

I have a Craftsman 6X48 grinder that is rather anemic and doesn't track worth a darn. I only use the disk on it. I also have a Wilton 6X48 grinder with a 1 1/2 horse motor wired for 220vac and I can't slow that belt down for anything. It is great for flattening stock and squaring stuff up. I will use it on the flats when needed.

One trick for a 6X48 is that you can run a 2X48 belt on it for the finer grits but this is only for flat surfaces. It is a good "complimentary" grinder in any shop. It sits right next to my "primary" 2X72 grinder.

There may be some folks that might possibly grind blades on a 6X48 but by and large a 2X72 appears to be the standard size for our use. The darn things just work. I am tempted to try the Wilton on a 13 inch Bowie I need to make. :D

C Wilkins

I have a craftsman 1hp 2x42 which I do all of my blade grinding on. I've been meaning to buy another. It runs at 3600 rpms and has an 8in disk in the side. Paid under $200 for it. Buy belts on ebay, much cheaper than the $8 sears charges for 3 belts. I've used it for probally 3 years now.
Chuck

Hmmmm, guys.

So now I have a different question.

Do you all buy precision ground steel? Or do you flatten the raw stuff on a 2" belt.

I thought the 6" would be handy for that sort of thing.

(I still think sharpening on a 6" leather belt would be the cat's PJs.)

Steve

PS Rhino - My life is a grind, that's why I'm trying to buy a grinder.

If doing stock removal I found that I was money ahead if precision ground is available. As mentioned in my previous post, the 6X48 Wilton is great for the flats. As far as sharpening goes, a variable speed 2X72 can't be beat. Ever burn the tip of a blade while sharpening? Slow that puppy down and the chance of it happening is all but eliminated, even with the finer grit belts.

C Wilkins

if you can pay the extra up front it is worth it so you dont spend as much time and belts cleaning stuff up. steve do you live anywhere near me? you are welcome to come see my little shop of horrors. and see a few diff, grinders run.

FWIW Lloyd Hale used to grind all his big bowies on a 6 X 48. I think that's what I'll go for when I get a disk grinder.

Dave

Rhino,

Wow, thanks for the offer I'd love too.

I'm in Hollister CA. That's a 4-5 hour drive. But I have relatives in the land of cars and dolls. So, maybe .... hmmmm.

BTW I was assuming I could run 2" belts on a 6"er. Although the platen might be a problem.

Sorry guys I'm soooo in-experienced in this. It's just that sharpening and building a knife from a purchased blank has had the effect of a free-be from the drug dealer.

Let me tell you how bad it is: I built a 9" disc grinder from a wallys world 12" frying pan. It's terrible :barf: However, I was able to re-grind a customer's abused carving knife with it. He was very pleased :D

Steve

I do all my grinding on a 6x48 (its where I work grinder). Its a Wilton and yes the tracking does suck. I took a file to the edges of the platen so the belt would roll. I plan on getting a grinder from Rob (I was going to make it but after adding all the material costs and labor I might as well buy one). The advantages of a 6x48 are; no dips in what your grinding, long blades are easy and I can make it vertical or horizontal. The disavantages are; the belts are very expensive as opposed to 2x72. The selection is terrible (the finest I can find is 400), when you grind you have to grind the whole blade at once so not only do have to watch your bevels but also your taper, its easy to find the top of the blade getting close and having more to grind on the bottom. I had no costs in getting my grinder but if I did I would go with the 2x72. But I will always use the 6x48 and will be used often. www.homestead.com/hvknives/

Blackboogers,

You may want to try this guy:

discount abrasives

I can't vouch for him, but we've exchanged emails. Seems he can get (make?) any size using

A/O 16 thru 400
Silicon Carbide 24 thru 800
Zirconia 24 thru 120
Cork in 400

the A/O belts are $19 for 10.

You might want to email him for a quote. They might be crap I don't know, but then again...

Thank's for information,

Steve

I get the same price from a lady on Ebay but not the different materials. Its a good grinder to start (my opinion) but the amount of control would/should be greater on a 2x72 (my feeling). You can make excellent knives on the 6x48.

Back