$700.00 on two Cutco knives???

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
You guys do know they own KA-BAR right ?

My mom's aunt used to sell Cutco which my great grandmother bought and while my grandmother was her live in caretaker she said my great grandmother had been ripped off.

My aunt on the other hand has had her set for probably 20 years and has been perfectly happy with them.

Based on what I've heard I would probably much rather go with Rada cutlery, they're dirt cheap and they take a great edge in no time.
I would not be surprised if the steel is equal, and they're at least 1 /10th the cost.

Indeed Kabar and Cutco are the same company and I always thought it was intentional that Kabar didn't advertise that fact. Cutco knives are at best decent only if compared to the average junk at a department store. They do carry a mystifying high secondary market value. I dislike them a great deal and I feel terrible for those poor souls that have paid full price for them, it is a scam and unlike Kirby vacuums are made of crap. While a Kirby vacuum is a horrid investment they are pretty decent vacuum cleaners especially for under $50, Cutco knives are barely worth 10% of what they cost originally.

jlauffer

Tempt not the Blade
Platinum Member
I've known people from the Cut Co company. The whole plan was/is to send college kids out selling them door to door. Even Cut Co will tell you this all falls apart after the kids sell their parents, grand parents and maybe a few close family and friends. For most sales drop to about zero in the days that follow but Cut Co has found there are always a few hard charging "salesmen" out there that will do well with the product. The knives aren't bad just over priced. Ethan Becker told me he thought their bread knife was the best one on the market.
My teenage son got 2 letters from Vector Marketing a month or so ago about summer jobs, but no mention of what the job actually was. Quick google search uncovered the link to CutCo and how it's basically a scam, as you have to buy a set of knives to use as your sales sample. Uhhh, no thanks.

tomsch

Gold Member
Cutco knives are complete crap but I will say that I caved and bought a set of their kitchen shears and they are great! Still over priced but definitely something to check out.

3fifty7

Gold Member
My mother in law got a complete set of Cutco pots, pans, and knives. $,$$$

I told my wife she didn’t buy the pots, pans, and knives she bought the salesman's story.

Last edited:

Kulrich

Gold Member
The Cutco kitchen knives are the most over rated and over priced kitchen knife on the market. They do have a loyal following, probably because people do not want to admit they got ripped off. I have sharpened some for people over the years, they take an ok edge. Now the older Cutco non-kitchen knives (including Alcas, they also made the Bowen knives and knives for Aurum etching) are good knives. This is also not to forget they own Ka-Bar as well. But the kitchen line is a marketing company, and that is something they have done well with. They have been able to sell a mediocre product for a premium price and convince buyers they made a great investment.