710 in S90V...

bb6tuner

Basic Member
... Would be my grail knife!
I love the way the 710 feels in hand, and I almost pulled the trigger on the M390 version.
But I think that an S90V with the contoured handles of the M390 version would be IMO a beast of a knife. Maybe with forest green G10? ;)

Anybody else hoping for an S90V 710?

Because the S90V blade is likely to significantly outperform the M390 blade. Compare the results of the M390 Military to the S90V Military in Jim Ankerson's rough edge tests: 380 vs. 460 cuts.

Because the S90V blade is likely to significantly outperform the M390 blade. Compare the results of the M390 Military to the S90V Military in Jim Ankerson's rough edge tests: 380 vs. 460 cuts.

Yes, S90V is more wear resistant than M390. I can see it being more important in blade like 940, slim and smaller blade. In 710, 810, it doesn't seems to be more "significant" performance gain. M390 outperforms in toughness as S90V is less tougher than S30V. Longer blade, although not too much compare to 940, may be the reason why it was not considered.

As a side note, M390 is very corrosion resistant comparatively speaking with S90V. AS you may notice that S90V tarnishes even for stainless steel.

none of my S90V blades have shown any discoloration of any kind and my experience has been that they hold an edge for a noticeably longer time than even m390. when the 710 and the 950 get the same treatment as the 940 (s90v, CF, blue standoffs) i will be very happy

Just get the m390 version. 80 cuts won't make a hell of a difference in real life tasks...

Thanks alot man, I was already getting excited trying to figure out how im gonna afford all the new blades that keep coming out this year before the page even finished loading, an s90v benchmade surely wouldnt have helped. But I wouldnt mind seeing a variant like that nonetheless. Freakin' troll:D

You'll be kicking yourself if you don't get an M390 version. I think it's a perfect knife :encouragement:

Hahaha :D

But after looking at reviews and pictures, I think I will end up getting the M390 version. And if an S90V version appears, I'll get it as well. :)

Yes, S90V is more wear resistant than M390. I can see it being more important in blade like 940, slim and smaller blade. In 710, 810, it doesn't seems to be more "significant" performance gain. M390 outperforms in toughness as S90V is less tougher than S30V. Longer blade, although not too much compare to 940, may be the reason why it was not considered.

As a side note, M390 is very corrosion resistant comparatively speaking with S90V. AS you may notice that S90V tarnishes even for stainless steel.

The Military blade is definitely not a slim or small blade, and that's what those figures are from. I've been using S90V blades since the Military sprint (10 years?) and have never, ever had any rust issues at all, not even discoloring/"tarnish"-type corrosion.

The Military blade is definitely not a slim or small blade, and that's what those figures are from. I've been using S90V blades since the Military sprint (10 years?) and have never, ever had any rust issues at all, not even discoloring/"tarnish"-type corrosion.

Military blade? Which Benchmade model are you referring to? If you are talking about Spyderco models, you are comparing apples to the oranges. Sure, it has similar length ad both has flat grind, but that is about it. For the toughness, strictly speaking, even D2 has more toughness than S90V.

After all S90V is stainless steel, and glad you don't see tarnishing. May be it is a little thing I have noticed. This steel is intended to have more wear resistance but sacrificing other characteristics.

Don't get me wrong, I like the steel, but not more than S110V. M390 is more balanced with 3rd generation micro clean particle sintered steel where S90V is 2nd generation intended to have outstanding wear resistance.

Only if they can properly machine the flats and plunge, some of the M390 blades look totally unfinished.

I was disappointed to see that the 710-1401 doesn't have a crowned blade like the 710-1, too.

Military blade? Which Benchmade model are you referring to? If you are talking about Spyderco models, you are comparing apples to the oranges. Sure, it has similar length ad both has flat grind, but that is about it. For the toughness, strictly speaking, even D2 has more toughness than S90V.

After all S90V is stainless steel, and glad you don't see tarnishing. May be it is a little thing I have noticed. This steel is intended to have more wear resistance but sacrificing other characteristics.

Don't get me wrong, I like the steel, but not more than S110V. M390 is more balanced with 3rd generation micro clean particle sintered steel where S90V is 2nd generation intended to have outstanding wear resistance.

It's not apples to oranges at all. If you want to compare M390 to S90V, you need to do so with the same blade to eliminate big variables due to primary and secondary grind, blade thickness, etc. I know of only two blades that have been available in both steels, and both are Spyderco. While it's true that a Spyderco blade may perform differently than a Benchmade blade, if you're comparing steel performance you need to stay consistent. The Spyderco performance is useful for comparing the two. If you move up Jim's test results to the top section, you will also find a Benchmade M390 that performed in Category 2 at HRC 60 and a Spyderco Mule that performed in Category 1 at HRC 60.5. The Benchmade M390 in Category 2 was a 710-1, and the likely reason for its lesser performance was blade geometry.

And yeah, S110V (properly heat treated, unlike my Kershaw Shallot :)eek: :thumbdn:), is going to be a step up for most purposes for both. :thumbup:

Is the 710 with M390 steel available in black G10 handle? Not sure if I like the two tone blue/black G10 scales.

Is the 710 with M390 steel available in black G10 handle? Not sure if I like the two tone blue/black G10 scales.

Not at this time. The first M390 710 run was the 710-1 and 719DLC-1, both limited to 250 knives IIRC, with standard black G10 scales. That was followed by the 710-2 which was a Knifeworks special that was not serialized and was open production for about a year, and it had the same standard black G10 handles. Those three have been out of production for several years. The only current production 710 with M390 is the Knifeworks blue/black G10. It's very attractive but I find it a lot harder to keep a good grip on than the standard scales.

Not at this time. The first M390 710 run was the 710-1 and 719DLC-1, both limited to 250 knives IIRC, with standard black G10 scales. That was followed by the 710-2 which was a Knifeworks special that was not serialized and was open production for about a year, and it had the same standard black G10 handles. Those three have been out of production for several years. The only current production 710 with M390 is the Knifeworks blue/black G10. It's very attractive but I find it a lot harder to keep a good grip on than the standard scales.

It's not apples to oranges at all. If you want to compare M390 to S90V, you need to do so with the same blade to eliminate big variables due to primary and secondary grind, blade thickness, etc. I know of only two blades that have been available in both steels, and both are Spyderco. While it's true that a Spyderco blade may perform differently than a Benchmade blade, if you're comparing steel performance you need to stay consistent. The Spyderco performance is useful for comparing the two. If you move up Jim's test results to the top section, you will also find a Benchmade M390 that performed in Category 2 at HRC 60 and a Spyderco Mule that performed in Category 1 at HRC 60.5. The Benchmade M390 in Category 2 was a 710-1, and the likely reason for its lesser performance was blade geometry.

I see that you are referring to J Ankerson's test and steel classifications. I said apples and Oranges in comparing Military model test to BKC steel. As you have referred to, it seems BKC heat treat it differently. Not sure the reason behind it, but it is what it is. IMHO, I would think 710 may be too narrow and long for S90V. Who knows?

Don't get me wrong, I like S90V, but not over S110V due to toughness and more corrosion resistant. Addition of Niobium is a nice attractive point as well.

And yeah, S110V (properly heat treated, unlike my Kershaw Shallot :)eek: :thumbdn:), is going to be a step up for most purposes for both. :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

I see that you are referring to J Ankerson's test and steel classifications. I said apples and Oranges in comparing Military model test to BKC steel. As you have referred to, it seems BKC heat treat it differently. Not sure the reason behind it, but it is what it is. IMHO, I would think 710 may be too narrow and long for S90V. Who knows?

Don't get me wrong, I like S90V, but not over S110V due to toughness and more corrosion resistant. Addition of Niobium is a nice attractive point as well.

And yeah, S110V (properly heat treated, unlike my Kershaw Shallot :)eek: :thumbdn:), is going to be a step up for most purposes for both. :thumbup:

710 too narrow and long? Is the Military too narrow and long for S90V? ;)

Back