710 Sprint Run

I love the 710 my favorite benchmade ever produced

I have an m390 left in the collection, would love to see another blade shape added also (kind of like what's happening with the pm2)

Mmmmm a wharnie/ sheepsfoot 710 ... dear God

Other than the Russian guy, who else makes and sells 710 scales with good quality and reasonable prices?

I’ve never been able to find a bunch of readily available aftermarket parts for the 710, I assume because the model’s lifespan kinda predates the current plug and play modding trend before the model was discontinued. Now Grips and Bugouts kinda have the lion’s share of the “customizer” market due to their insane popularity.

Besides the CNC’d scales currently available from Aramis Akhmedov, all I can think of are those I’ve seen made by Keyman Keyman here on the forum, and Custom Scale Division (Cuscadi) out of Germany. I can’t think of any other sources offhand. There are occasionally take-offs from factory limited edition models, such as the Knifeworks M390 variants, that pop up for sale.

I have no doubt if DeathOfAllThings (DOAT) made scales for the 710, they’d be phenomenal, but I don’t think he does.

iRWegqE.jpg

:)

What version is this? The blue looks too dark for it to be a -1401, or where they darker on the earlier runs?

I still regret I didn't buy a -1401 before they stopped making them. I would love another 710 with something other than D2 as blade steel even if they kept the handle just standard. M390 would be nice, but I must say I like the S30V in my Bugout a lot as well. Barrel stand offs instead of the plastic backspacer would be nice, and maybe titanium liners and CF handle scales, but at the same time I don't want the price to goo crazy.

This thread made me pull out my 710 again, and actually disassemble my 707 to try to tune it (it became better, but still a bit of side to side blade play then the blade is free dropping).

What version is this? The blue looks too dark for it to be a -1401, or where they darker on the earlier runs?

It's a -1401 with some navy RIT dye. The standard -1401 blue is a bit bright for my taste but the navy tones it down just right and makes the silver hardware accents stand out a bit more.

I’m sure there are huge numbers of younger collectors or knife hobbyists that joined the ranks later in life. These like myself would be interested in buying the classic 710 that they missed out on initially. I’m sure that it could be a profitable venture for BM. Demand is such that any number of marketing schemes would make Benchmade owners eager to take advantage of a chance to experience the iconic folder.

I’m sure there are huge numbers of younger collectors or knife hobbyists that joined the ranks later in life. These like myself would be interested in buying the classic 710 that they missed out on initially. I’m sure that it could be a profitable venture for BM. Demand is such that any number of marketing schemes would make Benchmade owners eager to take advantage of a chance to experience the iconic folder.

Benchmade isn't really well known for listening on forums ... it took years before they brought out Griptillians with G10 scales and re-worked the 530 into the 535. People have been asking for re-releases of AFCKs, Aeres, fixed blade Bedlams, etc. for a very, very long time. In our forumite's minds these all make good business sence but apparently BMK thinks otherwise.

I really hope you guys get your 710 limited edition. Calling it a "sprint", the other people that do listen to forum chatter's term, might not be helping.

Would much rather have a Sprint of the 705. No changes to the knife other than steel. Same thick liners etc. Was a beast of a little knife.

A 705 with S30V or M4 would be dope as hell.

I really hope you guys get your 710 limited edition. Calling it a "sprint", the other people that do listen to forum chatter's term, might not be helping.

Sadly (at least for this subforum) I've bought considerably more "sprints" and "dealer exclusives" than "limited editions" these past few years. The Bugout and 940 don't really do it for me, so I don't have a ton of LE options. :confused:

Hoping that changes going forward. :)

This is just like many other discontinued knives, especially larger ones. When they were available, even at discounted prices, dealers had difficulties selling them out. After they were discontinued for a while, people will begin to miss them and call for them back. Nothing wrong with that as I am one of these people. I regret not picking one or two regular 710s up at the discounted price (I remember it was about $140?).

With that being said, for the only 710 I have, a KW exclusive 710-1401, its handle is too slippery, it feels a bit too handle heavy, and the thumbstud is a bit too far away from the pivot (I can see it gets in the way of cutting and sharpening though I'm not sure how it can be tweaked without changing the handle shape).

If people are just wanting a long, slim, and high quality folder other than nostalgia, I can see ZT0452cf to easily replace Benchmade 710.

On a side note, it would be interesting to see a larger Bugout (to be more specific, 535-3) with exact height and thickness of the handle and blade as the current Bugout but increased length to that of 710.

I understand you. I opened the same kind of Thread a while ago. I can not understand how to discontinue the 710. Best production folder ever existed. The newer designs are boring, too fancy, gadgets, not meant to be tools, I don't know. I would buy a 710 instantly and I don't care which steel would be used.

The only other BMs I care about are the 551 which I have and love. Maybe the AFO2 and Stryker would be interesting too but I think dcd too, but nothing close to the 710, NOTHING.

How could BM ever discontinue the 710, I don't get it. I would wish it to be back so damn hard.

I’d like to see an aluminum handle on it…again…stuff comes off it easier than the g10. I find myself stealing my fiancé’s nail polish remover and her toothbrush to scrub away glue and whatever else gets jammed in the grooves. It comes out, but it’s a pain.

This is just like many other discontinued knives, especially larger ones. When they were available, even at discounted prices, dealers had difficulties selling them out. After they were discontinued for a while, people will begin to miss them and call for them back. Nothing wrong with that as I am one of these people. I regret not picking one or two regular 710s up at the discounted price (I remember it was about $140?).

With that being said, for the only 710 I have, a KW exclusive 710-1401, its handle is too slippery, it feels a bit too handle heavy, and the thumbstud is a bit too far away from the pivot (I can see it gets in the way of cutting and sharpening though I'm not sure how it can be tweaked without changing the handle shape).

If people are just wanting a long, slim, and high quality folder other than nostalgia, I can see ZT0452cf to easily replace Benchmade 710.

On a side note, it would be interesting to see a larger Bugout (to be more specific, 535-3) with exact height and thickness of the handle and blade as the current Bugout but increased length to that of 710.
You sir, are a blasphemer.

benchmade seem to kill off my favorites. the rants, the 908, 710, 9051/52s, 42. there are others but these i really liked.

yes 710 reissued with better steel than d2. cruwear or cpm154 or whatever that meets or surpasses d2 in toughness and edge holding. id be all over a handful of them. have enough d2 710s, that's why. not cause I hate d2.

Last edited:
Back