8" high Goretex boots vs Jungle Boots

Daniel L

Gold Member
Hi guys,
What really happens with the water when you wear high leather boots (eg Danners) with Goretex liners in waist high water? While you're wading I'm pretty sure the water will flood in over the boot tops, but what happens once you get out?

Does the water just sit in the boot and waterlog your feet, in which case non-goretex or jungle boots are better? (and cheaper!)

Sorry I just don't know anyone with high Goretex boots!

Daniel.

Daniel, in jungle conditions the Altama jungle boots serve a couple of purposes for us: 1) good purchase on slippery ground with the panama sole 2) good drainage through the brass drain ports at the bottom of the boot.
We've used other boots down there, including Gore Tex Vasque and they don't provide good drainage once water comes over the top. We also use Wonder Walker insoles for better comfort and they won't soak up water. - Jeff

------------------
Randall's Adventure & Training
jeff@jungletraining.com

Hi Daniel,

I own many (way to many) boots. Since my feet are so important too me, I choose which one to wear based on where I will be.

I have three pair of Danners
1. The high leather, thinsolite, and gore tex which I use during harsh fall and mild winter conditions in mountain terrain (I also wear gaiters with).
2. The cardura (I think that is what it is called) during the summer. These boots allow for breathing to occur. Once again used in mountains.

For desert or jungle I prefer the good old military style jungle or desert boot or something of similar quality.

For Arctic or hard cold winter I use Sorels.

I really like Danner boots but would never submerge them in water. If I did (I have), I would dry them out by the fire...not too close since the soles are glued on and I have seen people get them so close that they seperated from the boot. :>)

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

When Ron and I went to the Peruvian Amazon to film our "Jungle Living Skills" video this year, I wore Israeli Army boots. They were great! I can't say enough good things about them. They have canvass uppers and great rubber traction. Yes my feet got wet when I got in the water with them, but the canvass allowed them to dry rapidly too. We were there for a month and I never had a problem with any mold and no problems drying my shoes.

I bought them used so they were already worn in and they only cost me $20.

They're a great buy if you can find them.

Karen Hood

------------------
Hoods Woods
www.survival.com

I agree with Jeff, I also use the Altama and found them to be a pretty good boot. Great for hot-wet and not bad for hot. Sorta suck on hot,dry dusty tho because the ports tend to suck in trail dust and make sweat mud on your socks.

Karens boots were way cool and almost identical to the first jungle boots we were issued in Vietnam. Lace up to the ankle and then a buckled flap closure over the lower leg.

Ron

------------------
Learn Life Extension at:

http://www.survival.com ]

try goretex socks, so if your boots get wet, your feet don't. they run about $30 and you can probably get them at your local a&n store.

Karen,

Mike perrin tried those same boots on one of our trips. His feet got screwed up real bad but we later found out he was wearing 100% cotton socks which was the cuase of the fungus. Not to mention we were wet constantly. Anyway, went over to synthetic socks and cured the problem. - Jeff

------------------
Randall's Adventure & Training
jeff@jungletraining.com

Goretex socks keep the water in about as well as they keep it out. If it gets in around the top of your socks...yeeech.

Ron

------------------
Learn Life Extension at:

Danners will keep your feet HOT. Or at least they keep my feet warm and toaster. Too heavy for any serious movement, see road marches.

As for Jungle Boots, the orginal issue green canvas/panama sole models CAN NOT be beaten in my opinion. The provide plenty of support, protect your feet, and actually do drain water and dry out. Most importantly they don't MELT when dried over a fire. Happen to a pair of my issue jungle boots (black synthetic) and Altamas, the black ones. Altama does make a gree canvas jungle boot, or did for a while. Sole is too flexible for any real weight, but they sure are comfy.

GREAT FORUM!
smile.gif

------------------
"Women bring life into the world
and much death, for they sway the
destinies of men." -Anneas

i'm with chris john on the gore tex lined boots. unless i am in a serious wet and cold environment i find goretex lined boots getting hot and muggy after a few hundred yards of walking. they do not let my feet "breath" as well as straight leather or leather/nylon combo's.

goretex or other PTFE type laminates are great on outwear but they seem a bit too stuffy in boots for everyday wear.

------------------
PATRICK YORK MA
TRIPLE AUGHT DESIGN
"Audaces Fortuna Iuvat"
www.tripleaughtdesign.com
Your edged tool & extreme gear resource for professionals, adventurers and enthusiasts.
velox@slip.net

What do you guys think of not wearing ANY socks inside your altama jungle boots. I'm talking about a well broken in set of boots... not brand new.

------------------
When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

You know I've heard about folks doing that, but never actually met one who did.

So, I'd have to go with changing socks. I have a pair of jungle boots (green canvas) that I have worn for about five years, resoled at least six times, currently wearing cushy waffle soles. Anyway, they really are like tennis shoes now, with the steel shank removed, but I wouldn't go barefoot in them for any length of time. You can wash socks readily in the field, but boots tend to retain the bacteria you loose into them. Just my own thoughts. I was too much of a weenie to ever go sockless.

Free balling in BDU's is a WHOLE different issue. Without a doubt the way to go in the field, but not at the 1/507th.
smile.gif

------------------

Freeballing is definitely the way to go... Unless the candiru is out prowling! *ouch!* Does anybody else have any thoughts about going sockless in jungle boots in a jungle environment?

------------------
When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

[This message has been edited by David vS (edited 08 December 1999).]

Had a guy on my squad who swore by going sockless, I tried it for a day in the PI in Crow Valley and it BITES!!!! It was without a doubt one of the stupidest things I've ever done. Pain, blisters and really really sore feet. I was never so glad to get out the old green GI issue (wool blend??) socks and foot powder. This was with the old OD green canvas jungle boots.

I always wear socks in the jungle boots. During a break you can slip off your boots, wring out the socks, sling dry the insole, powder up and keep moving. I did this for two years in Vietnam and never had a real problem.

One of the team was evacted after only 6 months (lucky guy) because his rot was so bad when we were at the base we made him sleep with plastic bags on his feet. The rot and smell was overpowering (this from a guy who thinks belly jumping is funny). I don't know what finally happened to him . Foot care in hot-wet is critical.

Short trips into the jungle like a lot of folks make (a few weeks) is not enough time to really understand the importance of foot hygiene or how badly you can become debilitated.

BTW I wore cotton socks for awhile but I soon learned that lite wool socks and "Knee Highs" were the hot ticket item. They might seem too hot but in fact the wool drained much better than the cotton AND it stayed shaped to the foot while the cotton just stretched out and balled up. Cotton rotted, the wool just lasted and lasted.

Ron

------------------
Learn Life Extension at:

I have a lot to learn about boots and shoes, and a lot depends on the weather and temperature, but my favorites for keeping my feet warm and dry are my LaCrosse boots that come just below the knee; if its cold I use thicker wool socks, if its warm I usually just use regular thick athletic socks.

Now I usually only spend hours in these boots--not days, but when I'm hiking through my back woods, especially in the fall, winter, or spring, these boots work great and keep your feet dry as long as you stay out of deep water. I couldn't live without these boots, and its probably about time to get a spare, since I've been using these ones for about 8 years now.

------------------
AirMojo the Airgunning Harmonica Man

Aloha, very good to find this subject. I just purchased a new pair of Jungle Boots. What is best way to break this type of boot in?
Have already made offering to the blister god with them. Any info much appreciated.

First, strip the boots with saddle soap or alcohol to remove the protective coating.

Next apply a generous amount of kiwi(brush on) and then leave it overnight. Using a good boot brush, brush it in and then apply another coat and brush it in.

The last thing to do to break them in is to wear them, not for any serious humps, just for everyday use and general trips. It shouldn't take long to break them in just right. Mine only take a week or so and they feel just right afterwards.

Also I recommend a good insole like Sorbsan or Spenco for general shock absorption.

------------------
The vague and tenuous hope that GOD is too kind to punish the ungodly has become a deadly opiate for the conscience of millions.

*A. W. Tozer

2 Cor 5:10

Breaking in boots is much like sex, everyone likes something different.

For my mileage, I slather polish on them, soak in water, then wear, but have access to broken in boots, when the newbies get too uncomfortable.

------------------

Back