8" Shiv Request thread

I'll take 2...[emoji57]
Was I fast enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Due to Nathan having worked on the fighter patterns in conjunction with a friend who was killed, thus him losing interest in working on them at that time. I humbly request this one not get pushy. I'm sure Nathan will let us know on it when he is OK with it.

That's okay, this isn't a taboo subject.

I like to involve other knowledgeable folks as much as I can when developing something new. Two (or more) heads are better than one and a person with a skill set and experience different than my own can bring a lot to the table. I don't always "credit" those involved. Not because I don't want to give credit where credit is due, but to avoid riding on someone else's coat tails.

For example, Dan Keffeler was very helpful when developing the choppers. I'd love to be able to say "these were developed with four time world cutting champion and blade geometry and handle ergo expert Dr. Dan Keffeler" but that would be capitalizing on his name and reputation. His willingness to share some of that with me was very generous but I can't include that information in the sales because it wouldn't be fair to his "brand".

So, in that sense, the combat knives were a collaboration with Jason Landphair. Jason was a super cool guy and friend of the family and generous with his time and knowledge. The "tactical knife market" is plump with makers claiming Special Forces credentials, and a lot of it is BS, but the reality is the fighters were designed with input from a knowledgeable and experienced Green Beret with multiple deployments in both Iraq and Afghanistan (and apparently other places), and I'm grateful for that though I've never advertised it as such. When I told him I was working on a fighter design we talked about it at length, talking about balance, grips, and use of a modern fighting knife as used in the armed forces. Most servicemen carry a knife. They're not usually used as a weapon, though they need to work in that function. And a person on Jason's team actually did get a knife kill (not one of mine). So his input was important and did shape the design. And his input on the 8" Shiv directly led to the smaller 6" fighter. Those were made specifically with him in mind and he had the first one out the door. I don't know what has come of those knives.

He was killed in Afghanistan last year. This was a real punch in the gut.

jason.jpg~original

I like that picture.

He was educated and well spoken, very intelligent. And he was a real badass, but just came across as no-nonsense and very calm.

I think the last time I saw him we were flushing rats out of my mom's garden with a .22 and shooting wasps. Fun guy. Made good hooch too. :thumbup:

Nathan / Jo, Carrothers Family: sincere condolences for your loss and thank you for sharing the story although we can only imagine the heartache you must have felt writing the background story.

Thanks for the story, Nathan. Sounds like a good guy.

He was going mushroom hunting and somebodies kid was coming along (I don't know, I wasn't there) and the kid had misheard or misunderstood that they were going balloon hunting. Balloon - mushroom. *shrug*. So he went out and got some balloons and hid them out where they were going to be searching so the kid would have something to find and have a good time too.

A little while back Jo and I were going through a tight spot because of some career changes I'd made and our refrigerator was falling apart and needed to be replaced but I couldn't afford it. So he gave me a fridge, but made sure I didn't know it was from him out of consideration for my feelings. He wanted us to have a new fridge and didn't want us to feel weird about it. I only learned it was from him after he died.

Yeah, he was good guy.

He was going mushroom hunting and somebodies kid was coming along (I don't know, I wasn't there) and the kid had misheard or misunderstood that they were going balloon hunting. Balloon - mushroom. *shrug*. So he went out and got some balloons and hid them out where they were going to be searching so the kid would have something to find and have a good time too.

A little while back Jo and I were going through a tight spot because of some career changes I'd made and our refrigerator was falling apart and needed to be replaced but I couldn't afford it. So he gave me a fridge, but made sure I didn't know it was from him out of consideration for my feelings. He wanted us to have a new fridge and didn't want us to feel weird about it. I only learned it was from him after he died.

Yeah, he was good guy.

that's just incredibly touching.

Sounds like a great guy, and the world would be a better place if he were still around.

When I hear stories that touch the soul as has this thread with Nathan's own, I'm invariably taken back to 1968 and Dion DiMucci's song, "Abraham Martin and John" - and the lyrics "seems the good, they die young". That year haunts me for similar reasons.

Nathan,
Thank you for sharing those stories about Jason. It is so unfortunate--it always seems like the good guys are the ones who leave this world to quickly.

May I ask--and I hope I am not out of bounds here--but have you and Jo ever considered doing a special run of knives dedicated to his memory, perhaps naming a knife after him (maybe using his last name or a military call sign that he used)? I think something like that would be an incredible idea if you ever decided to go there. :thumbup:

Nathan,

I've quietly admired your craftsmanship and hope to own your work sometime soon. Thanks so much for sharing Jason's story--he sounds like a true warrior, all valor and grit. That was the stuff of immortal remembrance for warrior cultures (like the warriors of the Iliad). We are not a warrior culture, so generally people don't appreciate men such as Jason enough--yet they owe so much to them. I'm a professor and see a lot of ROTC men and women in my classes; one of my top students went on to be in Army intelligence and did tours in Afghanistan. I also just volunteered to teach a Warrior/ Scholar course for men and women finishing their service and returning to civilian life. They have so much to offer--our society has to do better by them, I think.

In terms of remembrance, I'd like to say that on_the_edge has a pretty noble idea there (I too hope to not overstep bounds).

Again thanks for sharing, and even if guys like me don't always comment, it does not mean we are not reading.

Anthony

Thanks for taking the time to tell us a little bit about Jason, I had never heard of his tie-in with the shiv before. Jason and others like him are the best of us.

Nathan,
Thank you for sharing those stories about Jason. It is so unfortunate--it always seems like the good guys are the ones who leave this world to quickly.

May I ask--and I hope I am not out of bounds here--but have you and Jo ever considered doing a special run of knives dedicated to his memory, perhaps naming a knife after him (maybe using his last name or a military call sign that he used)? I think something like that would be an incredible idea if you ever decided to go there. :thumbup:

:thumbup: I second the above statement! Sorry to hear about your friend Jason's passing. He was a real American Heroe.

Back