810 Contego Cerakote finish?

I am interested in purchasing a Contego but I'm hesitant because the Cerkote could possibly wear off around the washers, possibly rusting the M4 blade. I know on my 551S the coating around the washers (I realize it is a different coating) has partially rubbed off. The most I can find on quick google is Cerakote on firearms. Am I just being overly paranoid? Does anyone have any knowledge on the issue? I have emailed Benchmade a week ago but have not heard a response (not bashing just giving info). Thank you!

What about just putting oil on the washers and not worry about it? That is what I am going to do. My Contego sure came dull from the factory.

The whole back of the tang is uncoated which you can plainly see when the knife is closed (satin finished) my guess is the whole of where the washers are is also satin finished uncoated or it wouldn't be nearly as smooth to open. I currently live in Oregon (rainy Portland) and have several uncoated CPM-M4 blades (Spydercos) as well as the Contego and have not had any problems with rust, if I get it wet all I do is shake off the majority of the water and pocket it and have had no problems, I think if M4 was really bad with rust you would hear about it a lot more from Spyderco Gayle Bradley owners. (I also have a Rift, Ritter Griptilian, and Drop Point griptilian all in CPM-M4 that all have the uncoated tang with no problems).

My CPM-M4 Blades (minus the 551 Griptilian)
IMG_2406.jpg

As razor stated oil it and not worry. The Contego is very solid right out of the box. The M4 is relatively easy to sharpen. The cerakote finish while it prevents corrosion will scratch with regular use. It is a great knife, one of the best and smoothest productions folders I have ever had. Just wish I could get one without the cerakote.

thanks for the responses guys!

Razor-i agree 100% im just a worry wort possibly. sorry to hear about your 810 arriving dull.

mike66-thanks for the info, im in a much more arid environment but sweat alot due to the nature of my work. i started off my knife addiction with carbon steels and have had no major issues with rust (due mainly to razors advice clean and oil). i also wonder if the M4 would build a mild patina?

soleil-thank you for youe advice. i only buy knives to use so scratching the cerakote is all good with me!

most likely with this input i'll end up purchasing the 810.....now just gotta thin the herd! rtanto, m4, axis....match made in heaven! :) thanks again guys!

If you are worried about salt/sweat corrosion use marine tuf glide. It's not too good as a lubricant, but it does very well as a protectant.

I did a test with x-acto blades and salt water on multiple blades and it helped a lot. There was some staining on the protected blades, but the others were pitted and ruined. And those sat overnight in a cup of salt water from my fish tank. I too have a Gayle Bradly I carry and use in the rotation. Not a spot on it yet. And live in Miami. Hot, humid and salty air.

got word from benchmade, they said anything internal is covered! sweet! thanks for the help again.

I am interested in purchasing a Contego but I'm hesitant because the Cerkote could possibly wear off around the washers, possibly rusting the M4 blade.

There are many M4 blades that don't even have a coating. I would't worry about rust.

Back