8670 First Run - What David Mary Custom knife are you waiting to see made?

Martin, why are you sad?

1631393609201.png

Also, remember I can bring this back to satin finish in a matter of minutes - if I want to.

I forgot the number one rule of a mustard patina, namely that less is more. You want a thin layer of mustard which will oxidize faster.

After seeing the mustard and hot sauce glopped on I had a feeling that it wouldn’t be pretty.🤨. It‘s not often that any of us see less then perfection from you David, to me that is 😢.

It was almost rubbing our nose in it.... Haha.

We know he can polish it up Right....but he didn't Have to be so Cruel.

* I gave up on mustard awhile ago.
I prefer .....
Meat juices
HOT water
Rust blueing
Blue/bleach

But each type of steel behaves differently

It‘s not often that any of us see less then perfection from you David, to me that is 😢.

I'm glad you made it subjective, because I'm so far from perfection in this great trade, and have barely scratched the surface yet in knowledge and skill. I only hope each knife I make can bring joy and positivity into someone's life, after it teaches me at least a little more about knife making, so I can get my work ever closer to perfect. I think that would be a life I could look back on and smile.

I'm glad you made it subjective, because I'm so far from perfection in this great trade, and have barely scratched the surface yet in knowledge and skill. I only hope each knife I make can bring joy and positivity into someone's life, after it teaches me at least a little more about knife making, so I can get my work ever closer to perfect. I think that would be a life I could look back on and smile.
I know you are just starting out..... But your work Shines.
It's kind of like a public service.....
You are blessed at making others Happy.

Thank you.

I used to get decent results with instant coffee. I think I'll just do a few different layers until it's covered in abstract art. It's probably a keeper for me. I absolutely love it's performance and balance. It's a little blade heavy for me, and I am going to eventually grind it thinner for better point control. I want this to be less a chopper and more a machete. But because of where the blade shape and grind, I can remove material without compromising its toughness at the edge. The tip is already quite fine, probably too fine for this tool, but it has held up to normal use with some minor damage. Upon closer inspection some of those rolls were very small chips as well after all. But again I have it folding knife thin, not the traditionally thicker chopper geometry, but I used it like a chopper.

So I planned it out so that my platen, which was showing signs of terminal wear, would end up being replaced either after the seax, or at least after doing the main profile hogging and initial beveling. Sure enough there was a final crack during profile grinding, and the rest of the work was done on a fresh platen. Also, the piece had a slight cross sectional bend, so it was quite a bit of surface grinding in the outset. But it should be ready to go out the door Wednesday. It'll take the head off anything smaller than a cow I think.

Platen change day.JPG
IMG_2699.JPG
IMG_2700.JPG
IMG_2701.JPG

I hope you work out. ;) My arms got awfully tired working on this one.

Until you need to decapitate a where-woof, that is.

Here's what led up to the platen replacement. I felt the it crack near the end of this clip, which used up all the remaining space on my phone at the time (sped up to 800% speed):

Back