8760 vs cpm-154

Beginner to knife world and bushcraft. I was looking for some Opinions on 8760 vs CPM-154. I purchased two blades by the same maker and can only keep one. Same style but one is made from 8760 and the other is cpm-154. I live in Virginia and it does get humid in the summers. I’m not a master at sharpening but willing to put in the time to keep it sharp. I don’t mind a little material upkeep.
Would love some input on which steel to keep.

Those are vastly different alloys.
CPM 154 is a stainless powder metal steel.

AISI 8000 series is a medium/high carbon alloy steel. I couldn't find a data sheet for 8760, but according to the AISI naming system you have
Ni 0.55%, Cr 0.50%, Mo 0.25% with .6% Carbon.

Exact comparison is a little difficult to lock in without knowing the hardness, but in general:
  • CPM 154 is stainless, relatively brittle compared to an alloy steel, and holds an edge longer. It also wants to be sharpened using a synthetic stone, aluminum oxide, diamond or such.
  • 8760 is not stainless, should be very tough. It won't hold an edge nearly as long as CPM 154. It can be sharpened on natural or synthetic stones.
I don't do bushcraft, so I'll let others opine on the real world benefits of both.
Some of it is going to depend on how you specifically want to use it.

89TSI 89TSI - depending on your intended use for the steel as Mr. knarfeng knarfeng said; the 8670 makes a better bushcraft workhorse (if the HT and geometry is done right) while the CPM-154 is the slicer guy ;)

All the best, God bless,
Bogdan

Last edited:
Do you mean 8670? It’s commonly available from knife steel suppliers right now. I haven’t seen 8760.

Correct 8670 - typo ;)

All the best, God bless,
Bogdan

Now i just made a short search in my book and i only found a short phrase about the 8760 - '
8760 Use - Tools, springs, chisels'; judging by this it seems that i can keep my initial post that it would make a nice workhorse bush blade ;)

All the best, God bless,
Bogdan

I think 8670 is equivalent to L6. It’s used for circular saw blades. It’s very tough, but will develop surface rust if you look at it wrong.

I have a bushcraft knife in S30v.
It’s a little nicer than CPM154 but the steel is from the same company.

I also carry a folder in 154cm (basically the same as CPM154).

You should not have a problem with any of the above.

Back