9/11/01 - 9/11/19... 18 years NFAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm not mistaken, I think it was a Tuesday as Tuesday was usually my day off. I always get up early and checked the morning news at a local newspaper's website. Nothing untoward had happened that early and I went off to read one of the newsgroups I frequented. While reading a few posts I noticed the mention of the WTC and since it had been attacked a few years earlier, I went back to my news website.

After reading about the first plane I then turned on CNN (I had just gotten Dish Network) and pretty well stayed glued to the TV until way past midnight. It is one of those days that is permanently burned into my memory. A terrible day for sure.

There is a couple of songs that get me to tear up every time I hear them, "The Rising" by Bruce Springsteen, and "If This Is Goodbye" by Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris. I think I'll listen to them again tonight...

If I'm not mistaken, I think it was a Tuesday as Tuesday was usually my day off. I always get up early and checked the morning news at a local newspaper's website. Nothing untoward had happened that early and I went off to read one of the newsgroups I frequented. While reading a few posts I noticed the mention of the WTC and since it had been attacked a few years earlier, I went back to my news website.

After reading about the first plane I then turned on CNN (I had just gotten Dish Network) and pretty well stayed glued to the TV until way past midnight. It is one of those days that is permanently burned into my memory. A terrible day for sure.

There is a couple of songs that get me to tear up every time I hear them, "The Rising" by Bruce Springsteen, and "If This Is Goodbye" by Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris. I think I'll listen to them again tonight...
It absolutely was a Tuesday.

I'm partial to Springsteen's "Into the Fire." There's nothing more humbling than to contemplate the idea of running up those stairs - into the fire.

Well, Ted, I'm seeing this thread for the first time right now on the 18th anniversary. I don't know how I missed it previously. Was ready to offer $50 before I realized how many yrs out of sync I was. Goofy...I always forget to check the YEAR of the post.
My memories of that terrible day were quite strange. As a professional scientist employee, I walked into the lobby of Univ of (state deleted) Radiation Therapy Center, where I saw and heard the news on the large lobby tv. I stood there, stupefied, watching the towers, one by one, as they were hit. I ran into the bldg to tell the therapists and the sec'y, but nobody seemed at all interested. I was astounded. Yes, they were busy treating cancer pts, but how could you NOT show a grave (sorry) interest?
It never really hit them just how horrible this whole thing was. I still am unable to understand the lack of interest, on the part of younger, professional health-care Americans, that I witnessed that day...
don

Thanks for sharing your memories, thanks for your kind words, thanks to all the rescue workers, firefighters and volunteers who worked Ground Zero clearing debris looking for survivors and in the end those still MIA.

My heartfelt condolences to anyone who lost a loved one or friend that day.

Above all my sincerest thanks to everyone involved in the making of the knife, the donation of their time and materials.

I’m proud to be a member of the BF community and friends with the many members here. In the over 20 years I’ve known some of these people they never fail to rise to the occasion and give from their hearts and pockets without reserve.

I’ll keep reopening this thread as long as I’m alive and BF will be here forever so I’ll have give someone permission to carry on. ;)

Thanks again everyone. I’m gonna leave this open till Friday midnight and then I’ll close it till next year.

Ted, Thank you for this thread. It is important to remember the events of that day and ever since.

I was driving down the road headed to work when I heard the report of the first strike. I got to work and immediately turned on the TV in the office. The whole staff and I were watching the updates when the 2nd plane struck. When that happened, I said - "Looks like we're gonna be at war with someone."

I told the sales reps to go home, that no one was gonna buy anything today. (We were a contract sales company working for Time-Warner selling digital upgrades.) They probably would have been worthless at sales that day anyway.

06DBDBC6-496B-41EE-B1AC-5A3F8242889C.jpeg One of my favorite images.

Stay strong, always remember and spread truth.

:mad::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: I remember it very well . My wife and Mom were on a very rare vacation in Destin , FL and had just flown down from the midwest the very day before .

We had to fight with the car rental co. to keep the car we'd rented for local use . That's how we got home ! There was no flying , anywhere . :eek:

I was absolutely appalled . But my initial reaction was colored by extreme paranoia . I suspected that the whole thing was either a CIA op or something they had at least allowed to happen . And I'm still not real sure that's not correct . :confused:

Eisenhower warned against the MIC , way back when and who would have known better than him ? Supreme Commander of the European theater WW 2 and President off the USA . o_O

DocJD
I was absolutely appalled . But my initial reaction was colored by extreme paranoia . I suspected that the whole thing was either a CIA op or something they had at least allowed to happen . And I'm still not real sure that's not correct . :confused:

Eisenhower warned against the MIC , way back when and who would have known better than him ? Supreme Commander of the European theater WW 2 and President off the USA . o_O

Conspiracy theory b.s. has no place in a 9/11 memorial thread.

:) Whatever you say . YMMV . Just my actual personal experience . Feel free to take it or leave it . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

We'll leave it. If you post more crap, the post will end up in the DA thread. Tinfoil hat talk does not belong in General Forum.

Nothing more to see here. Everyone please move along back to the topic of the thread. Without tinfoil or hate talk.

I just swapped email with my ex and we were saying it still felt like yesterday. She was in Calgary and I was due to fly to LA on the 14th of Sept 01 (that would be the 13th in the US). She called in what was the small hours here to tell me what was happening. I ended up being on one of the first international flights approved to land in the US (Air New Zealand that departed Sydney around 2200hrs on the 15th here). It was a surreal time to be in the US (I was there for the next two months) and Canada. A couple of weeks after I arrived in the US I flew to Calgary and then she and I (she was my ex then but we remained good friends) spent a week in the Rockies and then drove from Calgary to Palm Springs.

All those people. Everything they ever were, and everything they might have been. All their joys, and sorrows, and love, and pain. Their minds, their memories, the music of their lives. Everyone and everything they ever touched. It's too much. What we lost that day was too much to comprehend. I still can't. The best I can do to endeavor to honor the memory of those who fell that day--as victims and as responders--is take the time to pause, reflect, and allow the grief to flow through me.

Thank you for this thread.

When 9/11 happened I'd only been out of the Army about 2 years. The unit I was in was one of the first conventional units sent to Afghanistan. Guys I'd served with as their medic were now going into combat & I couldn't be there due to disabilities from cancer.

Then a couple years into the war I find out a kid in my squad was killed on the 14th of Sept. He was on stop/loss, but got sent back to Mosul. His squad got ambushed, but he laid down the hate till they got to cover. Sadly he took a round right above his chestplate. Again, I was not there.

I'm grouchy this time of the year.

SgtDemandGrave.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I was 19, about to start my second year of college. That day is definitely burned into my brain.

A lot of my peers joined the military and served. Thats been one of my regrets later in life, that I didn’t help in a time of need.

It seems like if you’re not above your mid 30s no one really cares anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back