9:14 PM Miners found alive

It's always rough when there's a mine accident and miners are hurt and killed.:(
There just aren't any words that can convey the sadness of men dieing underground.:(

Wrong. 11 dead one in critical condition.:grumpy:

They interviewed a few family members last night and they said they had been complaining about the gas for weeks.

My only hope is that there will be a big push to increase inspections and clean up MSHA. It is well known locally that not only was MSHA's inspections limited due to budget cuts, but the whole management of the organization is comprised of coal company former execs. They at least should have had an advocate from the UMWA in there if they are going to let the foxes guard the henhouse:thumbdn: Several inspectors in the past few years have been removed or transferred when they did their job. The coal execs just have to call Washington to have somebody causing them trouble neutralized.

Smoke up for the miners. I am sorry to hear of the conditions too. I've heard some statements from families and they are in my prayers.

Two of my great grandfathers were coal miners, the one was sent down in the mine when he was 12 years old fresh off the boat. Both were helped towards the west with black lung etc. It's a shame that cave ins are still occurring with all of our mining technology. Prayers for those guys.

Exceedingly tough life, that of a miner. My granddaddy Ferguson died of the Black lung, and great granddad Weir died in an explosion.

Steve

No miners in my family. Grandads were machinist and chemical operator. Great grandfathers were Sherriff and Tannery Worker Great Great bar owner:thumbup: My one great grandma was a lady riveter.;)

The real sadness is the elation the families must have had when the first, incorrect, report came in.

I can't imagine anything more difficult than life as a miner. I'm vaguely claustrophobic and those guys have real courage. Don't ever see the sun, gotta be a hard life.

Puts my whining about my desk job into a lot of perspective.

You know, I understand that open pit mining is a terrible thing for the environment and all of that, but then I hear of somethinglike this and I understand why the folks in coal country are less opposed to having open pit mines as neighbors than you might think that they would be. God, how horrible!

We still have a lot of open pit mining for coal here in Oklahoma but these days the mining companies have to reclaim the land. It's often in better shape after the mining than it was before. Sure can't say that about the old unreclaimed lands though but they do make for great hunting and fishing areas. Some of those strip pits are really, really, deep!!!!
Thankfully a whole helluva lot of the old pits are being reclaimed. I don't know who is funding the reclamation though.
The oil companies are paying to reclaim a lot of the old well sites which is really nice. An old oil well site is a blight on Mother Earth for sure.:thumbdn: :barf:

I'm wondering how deep the mine is where the miners were killed, anyone know?
It seems to me that the coal would have too be too deep to strip mine to be cost effective but deep shaft mining has its own costs and that's not even counting the potential loss of life from whatever cause.
Dieing from black lung has to be one helluva way to go let alone dieing in the dark and with no where to escape to.:( :( :( :(

I'm now wondering if the mining company will take care of the miner's families or if they will get off with paying them a very, very, small pittance like they always have in the past?
Another case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.:( :( :mad: :mad:

Back