909 Stryker Unboxing Thoughts

MatthewSB

Gold Member
Just took my 909 Stryker out of the box and I'm puzzled by the jimping on the back of the blade, where I can't even reach with my thumb because of this goofy hump on the back of the handle?

I guess I'm confused by this hump on the back of the handle, it serves no purpose that I can see and seems to be right in the way. There's jimping on the back of the handle, then a hump of G10 and steel frame, then more jimping. Why go through the trouble of jimping everything and then design a big hump in the middle of it all so you can't use it as a thumb rest?

The G10 is extremely rough, like an Emerson folder. It feels like 150 grit sandpaper when drawing from my pocket, but I'm sure it will soften up as it's carried and used.

I was expecting a Stryker, but with an Axis lock, and I ended up with a knife that has the blade of a Stryker and the handle from something else :confused:

I don't mean to come across as disliking this knife, because I don't. The handle shape is great in a variety of grips, and fills the hand better than the original Stryker meaning better control. I'd perfer a hollow grind on the main portion of the blade, but flat grind should cut just fine. The swedge, jimping, bronze washers, nice standoffs, perfect fit and finish, etc. combine to make this knife exude quality. It will probably end up being carried often.

The Triage handle is a modification of the Stryker handle. The new Stryker uses the modified handle.

They did it so they wouldn't have to modify the Triage handle. Poor adaptation of that handle for the 909 / 904. That hump shouldn't be there at all IMO.

They did it so they wouldn't have to modify the Triage handle. Poor adaptation of that handle for the 909 / 904. That hump shouldn't be there at all IMO.

I'm with you 100% on that. The original design was about perfect the way the blade sat when closed and open. That hump is crazy, and the handle seems taller than the old version, for a thin blade. Looks very disproportionate in my view. I love the 912/913, I might have to pass on the 909 in all its current incarnations.

Rev, I totally agree. I loved the original and I wasn't crazy about the Nitrous assist but I was OK with it since I could take it out. The handle does look way larger than it needs to be for the 910 style blade.

For me, the Axis handle is way more comfortable than the Nitrous. The hump is where the stop pin is. It could probably be a little smaller, but it doesn't bother me at all.

F725603E-10A9-4491-86A7-AD3CBB2F0C37_zpso81b9aii.jpg

Back