940-1 loose blade when closed

I have a new 940-1 that I love but I am not loving that the blade, when closed is pretty loose. So much so that when I shake it when closed, it rattles. I've tightened the pivot enough so I can flick it open but it's still loose in the closed position. When open, it's a solid lockup with zero movement/blade play. Just looking to see if there's anything I can try to tighten the blade when closed.

I don't know the answer but my 940-1702 and my full size bugout are like that. My other Benchmade knives don't have the problem. I'm not sure what could be causing it. One idea was maybe the gap between plates was wider as you go down the knife but I pulled out some calipers and measured and it got a few thousandths tighter on the 940 as you go away from the pivot.

My regular green aluminum 940 did that as well. Tight when open, but sloppy and loose when closed. I took it apart and polished the washers, as well as making sure the stop pin was as fully seated as I could see. It was better but still not perfect. After a year and a half and replacing the omega springs (home made), it's pretty good now, but still not as good as my other 940's.

Interestingly, the regular 940 is the one I usually carry. I seem to prefer it over the carbon fiber or the g10 and I'm not sure why, as I usually don't care for metallic handles. Maybe I feel sorry for it.

maybe you can try carefully re-tightening the body screws, esp the middle ones that hold the axis lock?

Back