940-1 Real or Fake?

Its an ebay auction. I placed an impulse bid, but after looking closer I believe it could be a fake. What say you?

Last edited:
I'm no expert on Benchmades, but the markings on the blade don't match the ones pictured on either the Benchmade website, or Knifecenter. Pocket clips don't match either.

That, plus it's ebay, I wouldn't walk away, I'd run.

Also, you might want to delete the link to an active ebay listing before a mod does it for you.

Ebay knife

SI2UBkX.jpg

Pic from Benchmade website

nlMfBUD.jpg

Knifecenter

PsUgN3q.jpg

Last edited:
Picture of mine from KC....
20240419_185914.jpg

Send seller a message and ask to retract bid
I did that many times as a seller myself, retracted peoples bids upon their request that is

All my older 940s have the patent number below the grind. I don't see any with the Osborn logo also overlapping, though BM was sloppy about placement for a long time.

Edit: Found a pic of mine from 2014 (purchased straight from BM)

Screenshot-20240419-202731.png

Here's a pic I found of a knife on one of the big Chinese sites that looks very close to the ebay knife (they blurred out the Axis lock).

wastqyM.jpg

Notice the marking, and how the patent number marking extends the full length of the Osborne boomarang.

0bvTkzb.jpg

Here's the ebay knife. The patent marking also extends the full length of the boomarang.

KtVaE7m.jpg

And here's the patent marking on kreole's older genuine 940 from the previous post. Notice how the patent marking is clearly shorter than the length of the Osborne boomarang.

GZQeJsY.jpg

Again, not a Benchmade expert, but perhaps the patent marking being the full length of the Osborne boomarang is a tell-tale sign that distinguishes a fake from the older, genuine 940's. I'm guessing there are other clear signs as well. Like perhaps the pocket clip. But those more familiar with the 940 line would know better than I.

Here is a pic of the pocket clip from the ebay knife. It's the same as the clip in the first pic taken from the Chinese site, although they blurred-out the "BENCHMADE" part in the Chinese listing.

GwsqlsS.jpg

Last edited:
Also look how shallow the choil on the eBay one is compared to the real ones.

Definitely fake. The carbon fiber stops being carbon fiber past the faux bolster engraving like it's a veneer or something.

I don't think logo placement is a reliable indicator (it appears the logos can wander around depending on who's doing the engraving that week) but that carbon fiber looks totally fake.

Send seller a message and ask to retract bid
I did that many times as a seller myself, retracted peoples bids upon their request that is
You can also retract your own bid without getting the seller involved.

I don't think logo placement is a reliable indicator (it appears the logos can wander around depending on who's doing the engraving that week) but that carbon fiber looks totally fake.

You can also retract your own bid without getting the seller involved.
Within the parameters of a strict time window, I believe
I don't often get option myself

Within the parameters of a strict time window, I believe
I don't often get option myself
I haven't noticed that if that's the case. You have to search for the retraction page in their help menu, it doesn't show up in the normal bidding screen.

Back