940-1 s90v vs Para 3 Grey maxamet

hey yall i got a question that i need some help on. i wanna buy myself a good folder knife and i wanted some opinions which knife is better based on my particular needs

I live on a ranch in wyoming. everyday i use a pocket knife hundreds of times which is mostly just for light tasks. for any hard task i have plenty of fixed blades and axes so i dont need anything super durable just needs to be relaible.

I want someting i can carry for a long time and be able to sharpen easily myself and also disassemble easy because i am too far from the city to have it done for me

i dont know about steels so if you have reccommendations on different para 3 steels please feel free.

but i only want a 940-1 or para 3 ( any steel). they the only ones i like

Para3 of those two for me. The 940 is my favorite knife, and I have three. However, the 940-1 lightens the handle enough to make the package feel blade-heavy, which makes it so that you have to hold onto it to keep it from falling forward to some degree. Not a fun experience. I sold mine. If you are planning to use it like you say and not just eyeball it and use it to open Amazon packages, I advise against the 940-1 edition.

Cutlery Shoppe Para 3 in XHP, with a Lynch clip. The spoon clip is a fine clip, but the way they line it up on the Para 3 (and Paysan) is ridiculous.

XHP is stainless, and has an excellent balance of edge retention and ease of sharpening. Lots of carbide to lean on, and Spyderco seems to be consistent with the heat treat on XHP. The carbide is chromium carbide, which any sharpening or stropping abrasive will cut pretty well, so it strops back very readily and sharpens quickly, with whatever system or set up you have.

My vote is for the para 3, but what what I’ve read maxamet is pretty difficult to sharpen.

The para 3 will most likely slice a lot better. I used to own a g10 940 and the cutting performance was pretty mediocre compared to every other spyderco I’ve owned. (Manix 2, sage 5, yojimbo 2, Techno, tenacious)

I recommend you check out the mini crooked river. Compared to the 940 it’s got better ergos, a better blade shape, thinner grind, and you can customize it to your liking on the Benchmade website. I used to own one in 20cv steel and it was by far the best Benchmade I’ve owned.

I have a 940, 940-1, and 940-2. They are among my favorite folders. You can't go wrong with one.

Neither is the easiest to disassemble or sharpen, but both are liked by many. I would choose 940-1 over Para 3 due to the usable blade length on such a light folding knife. I have 940-1 not Para 3 but have many of PM2 and Military. To me PM2 is already short enough in terms of the cutting edge.

Neither is the easiest to disassemble or sharpen, but both are liked by many. I would choose 940-1 over Para 3 due to the usable blade length on such a light folding knife. I have 940-1 not Para 3 but have many of PM2 and Military. To me PM2 is already short enough in terms of the cutting edge.

Both Paras definitely have horrible edge/handle and edge/overal length ratios, for those who appreciate the opposite. I sold my Para 2 shortly after getting it because I found my BM 710 had almost identical handle length with a whole extra inch of edge.

I have had multiple variations of both.
The only 940 I kept was the 940-1. Beautiful knife, so-so cutter due to the grind. Very durable and reliable.
I have many Para3 - one of my current favorite knives. The 940 ergonomics are neutral and so it fits most hands. The Para3 is better for me - but if you have very large hands or wear gloves, the PM2 might be better? The lock is solid, and easy to maintain. One benefit of the Para 3 is it comes in many flavors. If you need corrosion resistance, the XHP suggested above is good, as well as s110v (at the cost of easy sharpening). If corrosion is not an issue, perhaps consider the 52100 sprint with solid carbon fiber scales? Still available, and less than 2/3 the price of the 940-1. This would be easy sharpening and reliable. Finally, consider the m390 sprint that will be released in a couple weeks. Easy to come by (kinda), with good corrosion, good sharpening, and red g10.

I have a para 3 and a 940. I prefer the 940 to the para 3. The para 3's blade just seems short for the handle to me. I thought I would like the 3 more than the paramilitary 2 because it was smaller but then I bought a paramilitary 2 and I prefer it over both of these knives.
rpFOSdd.jpg

i’ve only have a plain jane 940bk with the green al scales & s30v blade. saying that, it’s a great knife. the s30v sharpens up real easy on a sharpmaker, just takes a couple swipes on the fine stones to bring it back to sharp. it’s not a heavy duty knife, but it sounds like you’ve got that covered already. i use mine for cutting tape & cardboard at work & it does just fine.

Back