940-1 stripped scale

So I accidentally sent my daily carry 940-1 through the wash and noticed the clip was missing after it came out. I tried replacing it with a spare but it seems the holes in the carbon fiber scales are stripped. Am I out of luck here?

Man you got one hell of a washing machine. I'm sure if you send it to BM they will help you out not like you abused it accidents happen.

That's what I was hoping. I wonder if they could re tap for a larger screw? Or would it need an entirely new scale

Carbon fiber is tougher than steel and doesn't oxidize, no? Warm water stripped it?

Carbon fiber is tougher than steel and doesn't oxidize, no? Warm water stripped it?
That was the you have a hell of a washing machine comment I made. I wouldn't think water could do this but if all he threw in was a pair of pants I could see the knife getting banged around pretty good.

Do the screws thread into a stainless steel nested liner ? I know it has at least partial steel liners. I don't have one but have keen interest in this knife.

The down side to larger screws in any case is you will have to locate a thread cutting tap for the larger screws, and acquire a drill bit which has to be the perfect size for the tap. Clue : the tap may have the drill size stamped on the shaft of the tap.

PS: As far as the carbon fiber being stronger than steel that is in certain applications. Structural shapes. Carbon fiber totally SUCKS as a material to anchor threads.

PPS: "stronger" is a vague term. The proper term is carbon fiber has a higher modulus of elasticity. Think : it is more rigid / less elastic than steel.

I work with structures formed from carbon fiber that take very significant stresses.
There is ALWAYS an aluminum insert molded and or epoxied into the carbon fiber.
Threads are NEVER cut directly into the carbon fiber.

PPPS:
Good application for carbon fiber = say a fishing pole or a spoke in a wheel.

Bad application for carbon fiber = say making a file out of it to file on steel with; the teeth of the file would strip off instantly and you would just have a smoothish stick of carbon fiber with no cutting ability.

I'm pretty sure there's threaded metal inserts pressed into the carbon fiber that the screw goes into. Maybe that insert popped out after the screw came out.

Edit: I should've read the other comments better. Just glanced through them and didn't notice that 017 had already mentioned that. And indeed, there are threaded inserts.

SAM_6806.JPG

Last edited:
Yes there are threaded inserts in the scales. The handle would need to be replaced.

Thanks guys ! ! !

Corey,
Sweet photo !
Makes me want the knife all the more.

Everyone : most things Carbon Fiber take some TLC and experience/knowledge to use. State of the art tech returns superior performance but sometimes at the expense of careful handling/maintenance.

What I am saying is : Seems to be a great high performance knife properly designed and executed.

Back