'99 LE Buckeye questions and pics

snowreaper1

BANNED
So I was lucky and fortunate enough to come across a 1999 LE small buckeye sebenza.
I really do not know too much information on this particular knife just that '99 was the
first year that the LE's were made. Searching through the forums I still cant find a lot
of good information and thought Id ask the experts here on the CRK forum.

Whats the blade steel?
Was the '99 LE's the only ones made with the old pocket clip?
What years did the LE's come with the zipper padded case?
What woods and how many were made for the '99 LE's?

Pretty much if someone can give me a short history lesson on the LE's that would be
sweet. I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to CRK collecting and Im always
intersted in learning about all the history behind Chris Reeves knives. I think I did good
on picking up this knife but would like some feedback on what you guys think.

IMAG0253.jpg

IMAG0250.jpg

IMAG0251.jpg

IMAG0252.jpg

IMAG0248.jpg

IMAG0247.jpg

That is a sweet score! The grain pattern on that one is phenomonal. Can't wait to hear what the experts have to say about it.

That is a sweet score! The grain pattern on that one is phenomonal. Can't wait to hear what the experts have to say about it.

Thanks. Yea the wood is so vibrant and all the different colors really pop out. Green, red, pink, brown, yellow.

BG-42 baby! If I think I know where you got this, it is a good thing I was slow typing in my info into their database:)

The first year there were 60 large and 60 small, the steel is BG-42. There were several different woods used, Steve made a good list a little while back, search should find it for you but he will be by to post soon enough.

Nice score!

I wondered who got that one;). Did you get its BIG brother too?

The steel is BG-42 and it is the old style clip. This was the first LE year and there were two wood types that I know of - Box Elder and California Buckeye. PLUS it has double lugs, which have to be ordered at the date of manufacture with LE's - they can't be added later.

Someone with more knowledge of these particular knives might be able to add more details. Awesome score in any event. :thumbup:

Edit - looks like I'm getting a little too predictable, huh James? You guys are going to start thinking I'm a stalker or something. Better start reading more and posting less. Anyway, I do know that in later years, CR offered a variety of woods - at least 7 in 2003 alone! Starting in 2008, they stuck with 2 woods + Ivory.

'nuther edit - here is the list of the LE inlays that I have personally seen or found pictures of -

Chris Reeve Limited Edition Annual Sebenza’s
- partial list

1999 California Buckeye; Box Elder

2000 Desert Ironwood ; Blackwood

2001 California Buckeye; Maple Burl; Desert Ironwood; Bocote

2002 California Buckeye; Desert Ironwood

2003 Curly Maple; Bocote; California Buckeye; Box Elder Burl; Redwood Burl; Maple Burl; Snakewood

2004 California Buckeye; Maple Burl; Snakewood

2005 Snakewood; Desert Ironwood; Ambroyna; Mammoth Ivory (Bark)

2006 Redwood Burl; Mammoth Ivory (Bark); California Buckeye; Snakewood; Box Elder Burl; Maka

2007 Black Palm; American Plane; Mammoth Ivory (Bark); Ambronya; Walnut

2008 Bubinga; Satinwood; Mammoth Ivory (Interior)

2009 Thuya; Box Elder Burl

2010 Spalted Maple; Camphor

Last edited:
I wondered who got that one;). Did you get its baby brother too?

Acutally thats a small LE. I came across this knife pretty unexpectedly. A member on knifeforums had a few old le's I guess he didnt care to have anymore.
I believe I got a pretty good deal as I payed about as much as you would pay for a new large 21. Im pretty stoked to find out the blade steel is BG-42.
Too bad I wont get to see how the steel fairs in edc usage as I dont think I can get the courage to carry and use this.

DallasSTB,

You're such a great historian, brother! I've added a few inlays to your records, in boldface:

Thanks for putting this stuff together!

Fooj

Chris Reeve Limited Edition Annual Sebenza’s
- partial list

1999 California Buckeye; Box Elder

2000 Desert Ironwood ; Blackwood

2001 California Buckeye; Maple Burl; Desert Ironwood; Bocote

2002 California Buckeye; Desert Ironwood

2003 Curly Maple; Bocote; California Buckeye; Box Elder Burl; Redwood Burl; Maple Burl; Snakewood

2004 California Buckeye; Maple Burl; Snakewood; Ebony; Redwood Burl;

2005 Snakewood; Desert Ironwood; Ambroyna; Mammoth Ivory (Bark); Box Elder; Black Palm;

2006 Redwood Burl; Mammoth Ivory (Bark); California Buckeye; Snakewood; Box Elder Burl; Maka; Spalted Maple; Black Ash

2007 Black Palm; American Plane; Mammoth Ivory (Bark); Ambronya; Walnut

2008 Bubinga; Satinwood; Mammoth Ivory (Interior)

2009 Thuya; Box Elder Burl

2010 Spalted Maple; Camphor

I wondered who got that one;)Edit - looks like I'm getting a little too predictable, huh James? You guys are going to start thinking I'm a stalker or something. Better start reading more and posting less.

I don't think of you as predictable, I consider you reliable. Any question about an older Sebenza isn't complete until you and Dave have chimed in ;)

Would anyone with a Desert Ironwood please post pics?

I have a 2009 Box Elder on the way. It is my first LE, but not the last.

Also, does anyone know if the old style clips are still available?

I wondered who got that one;). Did you get its BIG brother too?

The steel is BG-42 and it is the old style clip. This was the first LE year and there were two wood types that I know of - Box Elder and California Buckeye. PLUS it has double lugs, which have to be ordered at the date of manufacture with LE's - they can't be added later.

Can you explain why the double lugs couldn't be added. Wouldn't they just remove the single lug, & replace it?
Or is it that they won't do this?
Thanks

Look closer. They mill a scoop out for clearance for the lock side thumbstud on the lock bar right next to the thumbstud. Otherwise, you don't have room to push the thumbstud.

Can you explain why the double lugs couldn't be added. Wouldn't they just remove the single lug, & replace it?
Or is it that they won't do this?
Thanks

Look closer. They mill a scoop out for clearance for the lock side thumbstud on the lock bar right next to the thumbstud. Otherwise, you don't have room to push the thumbstud.

Ed is correct. The lock tab has to be milled out slightly for the opposite hand thumbstud, and CRK can't (or won't
confused0083.gif
) do this due to possible damage to the inlay on the lock tab side. You can always add a 2nd thumbstud to other Regulars, just not the LE's. The double studs have to be ordered when the knife is ordered - a one shot deal, unfortunately. Or fortunately if you already have one, since they are fairly rare.

Last edited:
Ed is correct. The lock tab has to be milled out slightly for the opposite hand thumbstud, and CRK can't (or won't
confused0083.gif
) do this due to possible damage to the inlay on this lock tab side. You can always add a 2nd thumbstud to other Regulars, just not the LE's. The double studs have to be ordered when the knife is ordered - a one shot deal, unfortunately. Or fortunately if you already have one, since they are fairly rare.

Thanks it's good to learn something new each day.

The good looking knife in the first post is now living at my house!!

Hope your enjoying your new LE sebbie Sigifrith. That one was really hard to let go but at least I have memories and pictures :)

Back