1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

9in disc grinder tilting base?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Justin Schmidt, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Justin Schmidt

Justin Schmidt Schmidt Forge

Feb 18, 2016
    Does this exist? I'd like to be able to use the disc in both positions. The only one I've seen is from AMK but it doesn't appear they sell just the base. Has anyone built one? If so can you show pics?

2. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    What is a tilting base for a disc grinder? U mean u can rotate to use the disc face in a vertical or horizontal position?

If so, there is an easier method, I believe @i4Marc showed this to me.
    You weld up a base to the motor mount and you position it by simply moving the whole unit. Pics will explain this best

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Justin Schmidt likes this.
  3. Justin Schmidt

Feb 18, 2016
    Yeah tahys what I mean. I was thinking of bolting it to some aluminum plate with a hinge

4. jll346

jll346 Knife maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2006
    You could inquire with AMK about their base. But I don't believe it's a quick switching back and forth thing??

5. Drew Riley

Drew Riley Riley Knife and Tool

Oct 17, 2007

Fast forward to about 3:40 to see how I did mine. Probably not the most elegant, but it works reasonably well.

Ken H>, wkfl, Natlek and 2 others like this.
  6. Justin Schmidt

Feb 18, 2016
    That's a really clever design man!

Drew Riley likes this.
  7. Justin Schmidt

Feb 18, 2016
    Just saw this online will probably drill holes to mount the disc grinder to.
    Screenshot_20191110-012451_Chrome.jpg

coldsteelburns likes this.
  8. lanternnate

lanternnate

Nov 5, 2016
    The other way I’ve seen is make a simple wood box and mount the disc grind to that. Then you make a “receiver” of wood panels on top of the workbench that the box sits down into with an open slot down the front. Then you can pick the entire grind and box assembly up and drop it into the receiver oriented whichever way you want it. I’ve been considering whether to try this setup or but the same thing you found. My concern with the rotating stand is height and the grinder getting farther away when the disc is horizontal. The box rig up would put the disc higher when vertical and closer when horizontal.

Justin Schmidt likes this.
  9. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    easy peasy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heli00, Drew Riley, Tin.Man and 4 others like this.
  10. Justin Schmidt

Feb 18, 2016
    Man that makes so much more sense! Thanks man!

AVigil and jll346 like this.
  11. coldsteelburns

coldsteelburns

Aug 2, 2010
    Adam, I have those two images of yours saved to my computer from the last time you shared them lol. That'll be the route I'm taking when I get around to it. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

~Paul
    My Youtube Channel
    ... (Some older vids of some of the older knives I made)

AVigil likes this.