A better sheath...

on_the_edge

Gold Member
We don't make the product; we make the product better. That phrase was touted in some commercials years ago by a company called BASF. I decided to follow that credo with my HDFK sheath. :cool:

The kydex sheath for the HDFK comes with the option to get a Teklok on the back of the sheath or to have the sheath made as a dangler hanging off a metal ring so that it will swing more freely. I have never been a fan of either option for a knife this size. When attached to my belt, with the Teklok, I have to draw the knife fairly high to get it out of the sheath. With the dangler, the sheath's retention tends to hold on to the knife when I try to draw it out and the freedom for things to move around occasionally makes it a downright PITA. Here is my solution to the problem.

I decided to make a heavy duty leather belt loop for the sheath. There is a kydex sheath maker who has a belt loop made with heavy-duty cordura held together with velcro. I actually contacted him first to see if I could just buy the velcroed cordura part, but he was not willing to sell just a part of his sheath system. I also toyed with the idea of making some sort of kydex extension, but I did not feel like buying a whole sheet of kydex just for this little project. So leather was my final option and I am very happy with the result. I made it myself and as it was my first time doing something like this, it took me about two hours. The cost was negligible, basically @ $22. It is extremely solid and secure and will accommodate a belt up to 1.75" wide.

I post it here not so much for praise, but rather to let the general population know that if you have an HDFK and wish for something better in the kydex sheath you bought, for a little time and money, you could make something along the lines of what I did. Now I LOVE the position of the knife when wearing it on my belt. Removing the knife from the sheath is quick and easy. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Feel free to ask questions if you have them. :)

20180428_163622.jpg 20180428_163643.jpg 20180428_163805.jpg 20180428_163551.jpg

Awesome job, man, looks great! I made something similar for my field knife ;).
Cheers,
C.

Last edited:
RearBeltloop400__39733.1359230604.1280.1280.jpg

The above is from Mashed Cat site. They made the HDFK sheath. Eric Lind from Mashed Cat does offer this non dangler drop loop option. I setup mine with this option. I have the same issue. I find the teklok riding too high and dislike the dangler for blade of this length. I prefer to pair dangler with leg strap so the blade doesn’t flip around too much.

I always enjoy seeing what folks come up with for their sheaths. The sagewood drop-loops work really good as well if you don't want a dangler, but it's cool that you made that yourself Chris. I was looking over the HDFK sheath this weekend thinking that it should be just about the right size to mount an esee pouch onto.

looks good ... and functional ... I love the sheath that came with the HDFK ... I'm not a huge fan of teklok nor a pure dangler ...

but this sheath has a great thumb relief to draw the blade easily even from a dangler ..

but I used a Sagewood leather extension with the dangler to have both options and found just the extension rides good but using the Sagewood package I peiced it together to make it ride where I prefer ... and it doesn't seem to swing around much or get caught in brush ... and it does allow for free movement even in and out of my truck or jeep and its very comfortable.

But again top notch kydex ... I usually run straight for a leather for a keep but this one is near perfect as is ... just added a bit of extension as you just a different method.

I wear the hdfk horizontally on my front hip, dominant side, exactly like I carry the edc. I highly recommend it.

They mount with two screws through the existing eyelets. Brian offers three sizes, small, medium, and universal, choice of brown or black leather, and drop-loop only, dangler-only, or both. The small and medium are pre-drilled and fit many different sheaths. The universal is bigger, but is undrilled. You just mark your holes and drill it with a 1/4" bit for the universal (the universal is for pancake-style kydex on big blades).

I haven't checked to see which size will fit the HDFK sheaths, but the medium might. I'll bet someone here has already done this and can say with certainty.

Cheesehead_Slasher Cheesehead_Slasher , I am not sure where you are at, but Tandy Leather stores are all over the country. That is where I made mine. Walked in, got the attention of one of the employees, and the next thing I know, we are using their classroom to make the belt loop. I used their dye, thread, rivets, and tools. All I purchased was a natural 2" belt and some leather needles since I was going to do the stitching in my home. The information, modest use of their supplies, and the employees time were all gratis. Great company, and I will be going back there for different project ideas in the future.

Cheesehead_Slasher Cheesehead_Slasher ... checkout Sagewood Sheaths and look for their "Belt Loop Sheath Adapter" ... you can get just the one piece that bolts on using the kydex sheaths holes by measuring thespacing for which size ... or the even have a universal for you to fit yourself ... or you can buy the extension with the dangler option ... I buy both and on some knives I prefer just the solid loop ... on a few I use the longer dangler or mix parts to get it to ridewhere I like ... but great quality equipment ...

but medium fit the HDFK for me ...

I am not sure if Sagewood is a supporting dealer so I will PM you a website for the drop options.

2018-04-30 17.44.07.jpg

2018-04-30 17.41.06.jpg

Just added a few quick snaps to show one way to go using the Sagewood Belt Loop Adapter and Dangler ... hope they help.

JJ

Last edited:
Cheesehead_Slasher Cheesehead_Slasher , I am not sure where you are at, but Tandy Leather stores are all over the country. That is where I made mine. Walked in, got the attention of one of the employees, and the next thing I know, we are using their classroom to make the belt loop. I used their dye, thread, rivets, and tools. All I purchased was a natural 2" belt and some leather needles since I was going to do the stitching in my home. The information, modest use of their supplies, and the employees time were all gratis. Great company, and I will be going back there for different project ideas in the future.

Unfortunately, the closest location is like 140 miles away. It sounds like something I’d enjoy doing. Wish it was closer....

Unfortunately, the closest location is like 140 miles away. It sounds like something I’d enjoy doing. Wish it was closer....
Yeah, that's a bit of a drive. Still, if you go that way sometime, stop in and check them out. Maybe you need a new wallet or perhaps a new leather case for your cell phone? Maybe a pocket slip for a slipjoint? :D

Walked in, got the attention of one of the employees, and the next thing I know, we are using their classroom to make the belt loop. I used their dye, thread, rivets, and tools.

Man that is really cool they were so good to you. Looks like they've got a location in Boise....

Back