A Bit of Forging - Thanks Rick Marchand

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
When Rick and I did our collaboration knives, I really liked the curley cue on the end of the handles. (Did, being a loosely used term. The knives are downstairs, and need new handles.) I thought it was possible to just leave a tail on a stock removal knife and forge it in. At the last GA Guild meeting I bought propane a forge from Crex. A sweet one too. At the time, I joked that I wanted it to keep my hands warm in the winter. But really I was thinking of those curley cues, and my idea. So, at the hammerin, I had Carl run me through making a curley cue in the forge. When I got home I ground one to shape, and went to town forging. The results were less than stellar. You can see in the pic below that the curley part cracked and fell off. You can also see that I did a bit of practicing. Forged some fire steels, and a small knife from a file.

20111021104_4682-vi.jpg

I really enjoy making the fire steels, and have successfully started a few fires with flint and steel.

After the practicing, I came up with this. The model is a Bushfinger and the handle is stabalized curly koa with black micarta bolsters liners, pins and bullseye filler. The steel is 5/32" thick 3D Spalted 01 tool steel.

20111021104_4674-vi.jpg

20111021104_4675-vi.jpg

20111021104_4680-vi.jpg

20111021104_4681-vi.jpg

20111021104_4683-vi.jpg

20111021104_4685-vi.jpg

It will be for sale. But not until after I show it to the GA Guild at the November meeting.

Wow! That's beautiful bro, I love how that adds a whole new dimension to the Bushfinger! Do you plan on doing more of this in the future?

Holy Smokes, I'll take seconds on that one AND throw in a bribe of some kind! :) That is fantastic.

That really puts an oldtime twist(pun intended) to your look, Andy. I love it... well done. I first saw that curl on knives by Winkler and Cohea.

Thanks for the mention, brother!

Rick

That really puts an oldtime twist(pun intended) to your look, Andy. I love it... well done. I first saw that curl on knives by Winkler and Cohea.

Thanks for the mention, brother!

Rick

Took the words out of my mouth! I can't help but wonder how that would look on a blade with an all wood handle and a fully spalted blade. I'm guessing it would be killer!

Brandon

Took the words out of my mouth! I can't help but wonder how that would look on a blade with an all wood handle and a fully spalted blade. I'm guessing it would be killer!

Brandon

Yep, I was thinking that exact same thing after seeing the Recluse...or Terrassaur can't remember now...that had the completely spalted blade. Maybe still bolstered, but both materials organic. I bet it would look awesome!

Keep the pressure on guys.......I'll get him doing it in his sleep!
Really looking forward to an up close and personal exam of the knife this weekend.

Side note: as far as handle material goes with the "pig tails", I lean more toward bone or antler. Just somehow seems more correct for me. Not saying that is not an excellent looking knife, by any stretch.

(I knew there was an alternative intention when you bought the forge.)

Back