A bit of Schrade Trivia!

Codger_64

What sort of knife do you suppose the Lone Ranger carried when he went hunting?

2vufp7o.png

What about Natty Bumppo, Hawkeye of the Last Of The Mohicans?

28ja4ab.jpg

Well, if both were the actor John Hart, he would be carrying a Schrade Sharpfinger!

fnssm.jpg

2cohn5x.jpg

This one being offered from his estate by his wife, Beryl Hart. John was 91 when he died in 2009.

These are indeed knives with a cool past. I have watched these auctions for the past few years and they are slowly trickling out. A few a year. John Hart seemingly had quite a few Schrade's tucked away and a large knife collection in general. I recall a big UH171 Pro Hunter for sure and I know there were a bunch more that I have forgotten. Search their completed listings and you may find some of them. I've been tempted... They do seem legit.

I have to wonder what other celebs have carried Schrades, Sharpfingers in particular. We know that Walt Garrison carried and used Schrades as did Ted WIlliams. What about other celebritys who were also outdoorsmen? John Wayne or Chuck Conners? I met both of them many years ago, before the Sharpfinger came to market. Of course it never crossed my mind to ask them about their knife preferences, just guns. Anyone here know any celebs to ask? Seen any others from documented estate sales?

I've been watching the sale of his memorabilia as well...appears to be 'the real deal'......
I have the Late Alabama Governor George Wallace's 261SC Schrade Scrimshaw Set 'Liberty & Justice' together with some other of his personal items....the box has obvious champagne stains on the bottom possibly from sitting in a pool of celebratory drinks on his Governor's desk........
I also have Brigadier General U.S. Army, the Late Roy E Blount's Schrade Cut Co Gold Lobster 14K,inscribed with his name/rank and possibly carried by him on Saipan during WW2.........if only they could both talk....Hoo Roo.

Ok. So no one is going to mention the strap on the Lone Ranger's sheath. Fine. I won't either. :glee:

OK, I'll bite, why is it so high up? He went and covered the Old Timer logo, that's a BIG no no! :D

I've heard tell that every time Uncle Henry went down to Florida to fish with Ted Williams, he'd come back with some new idea for a knife that Ted planted on him. The gaff knife is just one example. Another was the "Lunker".

Eric

I can only guess the strap was moved to make a quick-draw sheath. Jay Silverheels may have suggested it. They were lifelong friends. It seems that John Hart is the Ranger who broke Silver to ride. The "other lone ranger", Clayton Moore, could not ride the half Arabian and a stunt double rode for him. John did his own riding. He also mentioned that Silver and Scout, Tonto's horse, hated each other and when they had to sit mounted side by side, they cut, moved the saddles to saw horses for the dialogue. They snapped, bit and kicked whenever they were near each otehr. Look at their ears in some of the shots where they are close.

2d8nngm.jpg

Sure wish I could talk to Henry and ask him about the designing of the Sharpfinger. Or Dave since he was there and involved.

Last edited:
I can only guess the strap was moved to make a quick-draw sheath.

How's this for a theory? Somewhat blasphemous as it may be.

Higher is better and will result in less movement of the end of the handle. You're riding a horse and the handle of your knife keeps bashing you in the side as you go up and down. Eventually you say "I'm gonna move that strap". Problem solved. Knife handle stays put.

How's this for a theory? Somewhat blasphemous as it may be.

Higher is better and will result in less movement of the end of the handle. You're riding a horse and the handle of your knife keeps bashing you in the side as you go up and down. Eventually you say "I'm gonna move that strap". Problem solved. Knife handle stays put.

Another possibility. John was a movie director and cameraman by the time that knife was made, so I guess he did not do a lot of riding. I might just ask his agent or his wife. It is possible that one of them knows. We do know the sheath at least dates from 1985 or so. They will remember his recreational activities if nothin else. I am sorely tempted to...

Back