A Box From Bath! :)

Jack Black

Seize the Lambsfoot! Seize the Day!
Platinum Member
As many of you know, Barrett is over here this week, visiting family currently located in the city of Bath, in south west England. He’s only here for a week, and we’re not going to be able to meet up unfortunately, but he very kindly put me a package in the post, which arrived here in Leeds today. Barrett has great hand writing, the sort of hand writing I like to think I might have had myself once, way back in the mists of time, before 25 years as a hack went and wrecked it! ;) It’s the sort of clear, but attractive handwriting they might use in advertising, or in a film even…but I digress! :D Needless to say, Barrett sent me a nice, warm, hand-written letter :) And with it were some items he had put together with great thoughtfulness, imagination, and generosity I think.

Take your eyes off that knife for just a minute please, we’ll get there in due course! :rolleyes: A baseball, what a fabulously cool gift! :cool: For many of you, it’s something very familiar, mundane even. It’s looks are familiar to me too, but it's actually the first time in my life I’ve actually handled one! So that is pretty cool I think :)

Stop looking at the knife! :rolleyes: Inside a matchbox from a hostelry in Phoenix, Arizona were three splendidly attractive coins, two quarters, and a nickel I believe :confused: You’ll see more of those, they’re very nice :) Also in the box was a P-51 can-opener, fantastic! :cool:

Along with the other items in Barrett’s package was some US confectionary, which I’ve never seen before, and which I’m looking forward to sampling ;)

OK, OK, you can look now! :rolleyes: Over the past year, there have been very, very few new knives, which have caught my eye. I’ve turned down many kind offers, but I’ve been pretty content with what I’ve already got. A couple of days ago though, I was reading something here about GEC’s Unicorn Ivory micarta, and I found the discussion, and the attendant photos very interesting indeed. I’d think Barrett had read my mind, but I hadn’t even had the thought when he left the US :confused: Or had I? Blimey, this lad really has super-powers! :eek: I really couldn’t have asked for a nicer or more thoughtful gift knife than this beautiful WLST with the cleverly-named Unicorn Ivory (which is indeed quite incredible stuff) :) So thank you very much Barrett, my friend. Like you, I’m sorry that we won’t be able to have a pint together while you’re visiting this time round, but hopefully it’ll not be too long before you’re able to visit these shores again :) :thumbsup:

Enjoy the rest of your visit, and thanks again :)

Jack

Very cool! I always like to see what people from other countries view as a novelty, like that baseball.

I knew US chocolate is a lot different from U.K. chocolate. Be forewarned, you'll have that butterfinger in your teeth for a while!

Beautiful gift. A special knife for sure.
Watch out for that chocolate. You'll be ordering cases of butterfingers.
Burnt Stag

Congratulations, Jack!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Those are some fine things Barrett "laid upon your table"!! To me, there are few objects, natural or manufactured, that feel better in the hand than a baseball! :D

Very well done, Barrett! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Accolades for your kindness and generosity! :cool::cool: And no one is more deserving than Jack, in terms of "what goes around, comes around"! ;):thumbsup: This song's lyrics are probably not very relevant, but the song title certainly is!

- GT

Very cool! I always like to see what people from other countries view as a novelty, like that baseball.

I knew US chocolate is a lot different from U.K. chocolate. Be forewarned, you'll have that butterfinger in your teeth for a while!

Beautiful gift. A special knife for sure.
Watch out for that chocolate. You'll be ordering cases of butterfingers.

Thanks guys, I'll consider myself warned on the Butterfinger! :) :thumbsup:

Congratulations, Jack!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Those are some fine things Barrett "laid upon your table"!! To me, there are few objects, natural or manufactured, that feel better in the hand than a baseball! :D

Very well done, Barrett! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Accolades for your kindness and generosity! :cool::cool: And no one is more deserving than Jack, in terms of "what goes around, comes around"! ;):thumbsup: This song's lyrics are probably not very relevant, but the song title certainly is!

Thanks for the kind words GT, I AM really pleased with the baseball! :) :thumbup:

I did send Barrett a package, but rather than his thoughtful approach, mine was 'He's only here for a week, gotta get it in the post, throw some stuff in a box'! :oops: My memory is so bad that I actually forgot I'd sent him a package before, and replicated some of the items! :confused: :rolleyes:

Pretty cool! I have never thought about there being someone out there who had never handled a baseball!! :confused: Jack, there are literally hundreds of ways to hold that ball (with relation to the seams) to get it to do crazy things when thrown. Very interesting to me.
I see a Bi-centennial quarter there too! Let alone the awesome knife!:thumbsup: congrats!

Congratulations, Jack! A well deserved care package. Well done, Barrett!

Nice gift box, I would be utterly pleased myself, well done. Was the Bi-Centennial coin a dig though.......LOL.

Pretty cool! I have never thought about there being someone out there who had never handled a baseball!! :confused: Jack, there are literally hundreds of ways to hold that ball (with relation to the seams) to get it to do crazy things when thrown. Very interesting to me.
I see a Bi-centennial quarter there too! Let alone the awesome knife!:thumbsup: congrats!

I hadn't thought about it much myself Mark, baseball isn't a common sport here, but you can buy baseballs in any sports shop (that wasn't the case when I was a kid though). It wasn't until I took Barrett's baseball out of the box that I realised I'd never actually held one in my hand before, even though the sight of them is so familiar to me from cinema :) My dad used to tell me about bowling with a cricket ball, and seams and stuff. I never really played cricket, baseball looks more interesting! :D We do have a children's game called 'Rounders', which has some similarities to baseball, but is played with a softer tennis ball. Thanks :) :thumbsup:

Congratulations, Jack! A well deserved care package. Well done, Barrett!

Thanks my friend :) :thumbsup:

Nice gift box, I would be utterly pleased myself, well done. Was the Bi-Centennial coin a dig though.......LOL.

LOL! :D Year before I left school :) I think it was a pretty big event everywhere :) :thumbsup:

Excellent Barrett and congrats Jack. When I next come to the UK will you give me a gift box? Oh wait;)

Excellent Barrett and congrats Jack. When I next come to the UK will you give me a gift box? Oh wait;)

If you come to the UK, I will definitely give you a gift box Alan! :D :thumbsup:

The baseball reminds me of Odysseus's winnowing oar! ;) :D :thumbsup:

Knife content:

DSCF7167.JPG

Jack, I'm glad that the package made it to you, and more importantly that you like its contents!

(There was one other coin in there -- an old wheat penny -- but it may have slipped out of that matchbox somewhere between Arizona and Leeds!)

To me, there are few objects, natural or manufactured, that feel better in the hand than a baseball! :D

I agree, GT! I keep one in my truck that I sometimes like to turn over and over in my hand while I'm driving.

No, no, no… if I'd have wanted to make that sort of dig, I'd have included one of these. :D

2015-Saratoga-National-Historical-Park-Quarter.jpg

Good show Barrett and congratulations Jack. Two of our very finest.

Back