A.C.A Edge ?? Folding hunter

mps

For more than 20 yrs. I've enjoyed using a large two blade Camillus Folding Hunter 5 1/4" slipjoint knife. It's almost just like the current model 26, except that mine has black sawcut Delrin handles and the _flat_ ground main blade is imprinted: A.C.A Edge, rust resistant, (and a picture of an anvil separates the words A.C.A. and Edge). The second, slimmer Turkish clip blade is very nicely hollow ground.

What type of stainless steel is this one made of? It seems to hold an edge better than other more recent Camillus slipjoints that I've tried, but yet I've always assumed it just to be 440A. Were these heat treated differently?

Additionally, have you ever considered making this knife with two independently locking blades? That would be a sure winner in my book.

Thanks,
Mike

mps,
As I have only been at Camillus Cutlery for 20 years this is before my time!
As best as I can determine, this knife was last produced approximately 25 years ago. Back then we used 440C on many items, & I suspect this is the case with your knife.

We did produce a double lock back trapper a couple of years ago (model 716)

Thanks for the response, Phil. 440C would indeed fit with some of my observations about how this knife performs when compared to others.

Is there any chance that Camillus would again produce a limited run of 440C folders? It seems that your Cartridge line would be a perfect vehicle for reintroducing a more select grade of steel. Now that Buck has fumbled the ball by dropping their BG42 Master Series, it would seem that there's a market niche left wide open.
wink.gif

Thanks,
mps

Back